MSC Grand Voyages (Repositioning Cruises) October 2014 - April 2015

Skipper Tim

I looked 30 minutes ago and the cruise was there - now it isn't.

Re difference in pricing, obviously MSC think the value of the drinks and excursions is worth more than the flights.

I have emailed Stuart in response to his email asking for solo prices and as yet no response.

Annie

This is ridiculous! But thank you for your efforts, Annie!

I looked 30 minutes ago and the cruise was there - now it isn't.

Re difference in pricing, obviously MSC think the value of the drinks and excursions is worth more than the flights.

I have emailed Stuart in response to his email asking for solo prices and as yet no response.

Annie

I was able to get as far as selecting a cabin number last time I looked, deck 10 either bows or stern, nothing midships, but stopped short of logging in to complete my booking, nor did I attempt to apply my MSC Club no..

I can't see that the temporary withdrawal marks anything other than bringing the website packages into line with the published (by email) packages and prices.

I am happy to sit this one out. I certainly won't blink first at those fares.

I'm waiting to see if they deliver on the 2 segments they promised. If they don't, I'm out regardless of proce.cannot do 33 days off work.

We shall see.

Typical MSC UK website though. It goes on, it's wrong, it gets pulled and they're miles behind other countries. One of these days they'll sort themselves out and get things right first time but perhaps not in my lifetime!

I was able to get as far as selecting a cabin number last time I looked, deck 10 either bows or stern, nothing midships, but stopped short of logging in to complete my booking, nor did I attempt to apply my MSC Club no..

I can't see that the temporary withdrawal marks anything other than bringing the website packages into line with the published (by email) packages and prices.

I am happy to sit this one out. I certainly won't blink first at those fares.

Advantage of working with a US TA -low refundable deposit and you benefit from price drops.

Like many I will wait and see.

Annie

I have attempted to book several cruises with MSC for this year,but am having problems as a solo traveller.I have even offered to pay the full double occupancy rate and they still will not budge...I am told that this is a directive from the upper echelons of management.

I have attempted to book several cruises with MSC for this year,but am having problems as a solo traveller.I have even offered to pay the full double occupancy rate and they still will not budge...I am told that this is a directive from the upper echelons of management.

Try a US TA.

Annie

• 2 months later...

MSC UK is now offering special "£35 per night" repo fares. In the previous couple of years they were £25/£35/£45 for inside/outside/balcony respectively. The current UK promotion is £35/£40/£45 respectively. So the balcony fare has not risen except that there is now a solo occupancy supplement of 50% across the board. Before it was zero on repo cruises.

I will have to wait. I have paid deposits with free o.b.c with two other cruise lines....

We shall see.

MSC UK is now offering special "£35 per night" repo fares. In the previous couple of years they were £25/£35/£45 for inside/outside/balcony respectively. The current UK promotion is £35/£40/£45 respectively. So the balcony fare has not risen except that there is now a solo occupancy supplement of 50% across the board. Before it was zero on repo cruises.

I will have to wait. I have paid deposits with free o.b.c with two other cruise lines....

We shall see.

Hi Tim.

Who have you "abandoned ship" for?

I will have to wait. I have paid deposits with free o.b.c with two other cruise lines....We shall see.

That's more like it we go for a double occupancy balcony cabin so now looking to see where cheapest air fairs are to use my Avios, Thanks Tim

David

ps how long do you think this promotion will last

Hi Tim.

Who have you "abandoned ship" for?

These are vouchers I paid $100 each for on my last Royal Caribbean cruise, several years ago, for Royal Caribbean and sister company Celebrity. They cover their value as deposit plus give on board credit and, unlike the MSC vouchers, never expire. I like on board credit. They are sitting in the drawer asking to be used.

I don't have many religious views but not paying a sole-occupancy supplement when there will be empty cabins is one of them. I can't bring myself to do it. 'Right bloody Yorkshireman' I know.

That's more like it we go for a double occupancy balcony cabin so now looking to see where cheapest air fairs are to use my Avios, Thanks Tim

David

ps how long do you think this promotion will last

The complexities of MSC pricing cannot be reverse-engineered. They are tantamount to an accident and forecasting them is impossible.

Re. Avios, remember making a connection outside the UK on a separate ticket saves the UK air passenger departure tax which is very significant on a long haul flight. A £30 hop to Madrid, for example, to connect to South America, can save almost £200.

MCS UK....grrr...just won´t connect, I´m trying to find the Sth america repositioning cruise to Europe in April 2015...

Sandy in Spain

Go to mscc.com choose country uk English or any country to compare prices

David

MCS UK....grrr...just won´t connect, I´m trying to find the Sth america repositioning cruise to Europe in April 2015...

Sandy in Spain

Try this link: http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Cruise-Departures/Find-Your-Cruise.aspx?Len=3&Reg=POS&DateF=201503&DateT=201604&ddl=y&p=1&

It won't let you book outside the UK but will give you UK fares (based on two sharing). Any UK travel agent will accept your booking.

Sandy in Spain

Hi Sandy, as far as I know there is no repositioning cruise from South America to Europe in April. It was going to be the MSC Magnifica leaving from Buenos Aires on April 6th, but that ship is now leaving on March 22nd.

Many thanks Annie.

That makes the UK more expensive for this cruise than any other and there is a 50% solo occupancy on top. I won't be paying £4700 for the lowliest inside.

I don't like the way MSC UK are going.

Tim.

Hi Tim, in South America MSC has always had a solo suplement of at least 50%. The suplement is 100% if you choose Yacht Club. Due to certain misleading marketing strategies in South America, there are also rates called 2x1, which actually force the solo passenger to pay 100% more (They make you believe the price is a good deal, but the price is already set at the double occupancy rate and if you travel solo you pay that double occupancy rate and in one opportunity they have tried to add a 50% "solo" suplement on top of the double price!).

There is no way to avoid the solo suplement. It is very unlikely that MSC will drop the suplement in the UK if it has been already anounced.

Ivi

Hi Sandy, as far as I know there is no repositioning cruise from South America to Europe in April. It was going to be the MSC Magnifica leaving from Buenos Aires on April 6th, but that ship is now leaving on March 22nd.

Ah yes, sorry. I was looking for the Lirica leaving Rio or Genoa March 23, so we could leave the ship in Malaga. It took a while to find it. Contacted MSC who said they,d have to get special permission for us to disembark there. Also they wanted us to use the Spanish site unless we produced an English address.

I'd got a bit confused with March &April as we've been looking at several repositioning T/A cruises & companies.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on Lirica, the cabins looked small and there aren't many cabins with balconies.

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

There is no way to avoid the solo suplement. It is very unlikely that MSC will drop the suplement in the UK if it has been already anounced.

Ivi

Hi Ivi,

You may have a very good point. However, this is the only Fantasia class ship repositioning next Spring and therefore I thought I would seek to maximise my chances of getting a last minute deal by choosing the biggest ship with the least accessible start and end ports :). I realise that booking flights for a repo cruise without actually booking the cruise is a little unconventional. It is a bet. Wish me luck!

Tim.

Hi Ivi,

You may have a very good point. However, this is the only Fantasia class ship repositioning next Spring and therefore I thought I would seek to maximise my chances of getting a last minute deal by choosing the biggest ship with the least accessible start and end ports :). I realise that booking flights for a repo cruise without actually booking the cruise is a little unconventional. It is a bet. Wish me luck!

Tim.

Anyone interested in Preziosa there is a thread at

MSC PREZIOSA 15/03/2015 SANTOS to GENOA

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1983657

Hi Ivi,

Tim.

Tim,

Have a look at the MSC Magnifica from Buenos Aires on March 22nd 2015. A couple of weeks ago the solo rate in Aurea Class was about US 3000 (for two passengers is US 6000, which means no solo suplement there).. Aurea class means balcony cabins, unlimited drinks at lunch and dinner, use of the Aurea Spa and some other small benefits.

Good luck

Ivi

Just to add to the mix...

A friend of mine, along with 3 others (all 70+) are doing the chartered Gallipoli cruise in 2015. They booked & started paying for it a couple of years ago from memory.

Originally the Poesia was chartered, but that changed sometime last year (I think) to the Orchestra.

You think your prices are high? This cruise is a 35 nighter and these four people are in a 4 berth INSIDE cabin. They paid the full price of $11371 ( 6275 GBP) EACH.

Prices have since dropped to 3137 GBP per person inside, so obviously it's a bit harder than expected to sell.

Saying that, they have been trying to get a 2 berth cabin, but for some reason the company hasn't allowed them the upgrade as yet.

You can check the web site at Gallipoli Cruise 2015 on google if you want further information.

Just booked Grand Voyage repositioning cruise, Rio to Genoa (getting off in Malaga) for 23 March 2015. Ist time with MSC and their booking arrangements are a bit odd (I think anyway) eg we chose our cabin, MSC said not available (although it was with another agent) then they gave us the cabin next door to the one we wanted, but said although the cabin number was allocated at time of booking, it may change to another anytime before the cruise.....but wouldn´t give any reason why that would happen...strange. Also that when we get off in Malaga there would be forms to complete to say that we weren´t leaving because of any form of dissatisfaction....

Sandy in Spain