Anyone know if buying CCL stock at $35 is a good deal?

Vitamin_Sea

Very true. When we were on the Glory in mid-October, the HR person who led our Behind the Fun tour said there were 89 vacant cabins on our cruise. That's about a 6% vacancy rate.

Wonder what will happen now when people get on the ship and ask for an upgrade?

CCL did not close at $32.88; it was almost $36.

This is what was on yahoo when i checked it....

Is that after hours trading?

Carnival Corporation (CCL) -NYSE  Follow

32.88 0.11(0.33%) 4:03PM EST|After Hours : 33.02 0.08 (0.22%) 4:42PM EST

Edited by limoguy1

For a one time cruiser who might plan to buy it get the obc and than sell think it it is a mistake as the stock could just as easily go down a few points and than you paid for the obc.

If someone cruised say twice a year and could afford to take a risk than I could see buying it.

However since it is close to a high and earning are trending downward dont see this as a buy right now.

We purchased our 100 shares in 2009 at a very low price and have made good money on paper and at this point only keeping it for the obc as we cruise usually 3x a year.

If they eliminated the obc would immediately sell it.

Precisely the point I was making. You and Swedish Weave pointed it out. If you're going to purchase the stock it behooves you to hold on to it to actually have a return on your investment. I just don't get why the OP wanted to

"

Well...I had a crazy idea of buying it at the $35, get the OBC approved- then sell it.

That way I dont lose much but I do gain the $100 OBC...:eek:

."

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. If you have $3500 to buy stock, surely you can afford to give yourself $100 spending cash on the cruise, rather than risk a loss or having to pay capital gains on any money made from the sale. Stocks of this nature for minimal reward, to me, is worth it only in the long term.

Precisely the point I was making. You and Swedish Weave pointed it out. If you're going to purchase the stock it behooves you to hold on to it to actually have a return on your investment. I just don't get why the OP wanted to

"."

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. If you have $3500 to buy stock, surely you can afford to give yourself $100 spending cash on the cruise, rather than risk a loss or having to pay capital gains on any money made from the sale. Stocks of this nature for minimal reward, to me, is worth it only in the long term.

We have been cruising 3x per year since we have purchased the stock. That gives us a nontaxable stock dividend of just under 10%.

I dont expect any upside potential but as long as we cruise this often good investment.

I can possibly explain this. It costs 7 dollars to buy and 7 dollars to sell and you get OBC for your cruise. The amount varies by the length of the cruise. YOur buying and selling costs would be 14 dollars and it is possible the stock may go up while you own it.

Personally, if I am going to cruise once or twice a year (or more), I would buy and hold the stock. It pays about 3 percent dividends per year in addition to the OBC, and the OBC will apply on any and all cruises you do with any of the CCL owned companies.

When you sell the stock, you will get market price for it.

Thank you!!

You understand my strategy!

If I read between the lines, I'm suspecting the "let's buy stock to get $100 OBC" strategy might really be something like this example............

9am - buy the stock ($7 cost)

9:30 am - it shows up in your portfolio online - print a copy

9:31am - sell the stock ($7 cost)

The "investor" has spent $14 to gain $100 in OBC. The odds are unlikely the stock will move very much in such a short time.

Not exactly the most ethical way of doing things, but I wouldn't be surprised if people are doing this. Seems crazy to me, but seem people think things like that are a smart way to do things.

If I read between the lines, I'm suspecting the "let's buy stock to get $100 OBC" strategy might really be something like this example............

The "investor" has spent $14 to gain $100 in OBC. The odds are unlikely the stock will move very much in such a short time.

Not exactly the most ethical way of doing things, but I wouldn't be surprised if people are doing this. Seems crazy to me, but seem people think things like that are a smart way to do things.

:cool:

Indeed, very little risk that way.

As a stockholder would hope tht Carnival plugs this loophole.

As a stockholder would hope tht Carnival plugs this loophole.

I'm guessing the amount of time and effort it would take to effectively do that would cost more than the possible impact on revenue that would result from people "cheating" the system this way.

Besides, these people might think they are beating the system, but somewhere along the way Karma will even things out!! It always does.:D

Get real with CCL as a good investment. In the past year, CCL stock decreased 8% while RCL increased 25%. The appreciation on the RCL stock alone would have a paid a sizeable portion of an entire cruise – plus the OBC to boot! In the past 5 years, 100 shares of RCL stock would appreciated almost $3,400, or about 340%.

Just this week, CCL’s own executives claim it could take up to 3 years to restore the brand. CCL is a ship without a rudder, trying desperately to recover from it’s own self-inflicted wounds.

IMO RCL stock has sailed (around $43) Traditionally Carnival is priced higher but with the problems over the past few years the stock has been under attack. I buy and sell both stocks and have always made money. I wouldn't be afraid of Carnival @$35 but you need to keep in mind just a slip of 1 point is $100 + brokerage fees...Also tired of Carnival bashers posting all the negative stuff. If you don't like Carnival, move on.

WOW!! It's unfortunate that folks would think to do that. I hope that, for the sake on ongoing shareholders, that all requests for OBC thru this mechanism is checked against a database of some sort to ensure being an Active shareholder.

By this logic, it would seem as long as you've ever held 100 shares regardless of when or for how long you can get the OBC, as long as you have a copy of the stock certificate from when you owned it.

I was thinking of purchasing this stock because I'm now a regular cruiser, but as a potential company shareholder, I think I need to do some more research.

WOW!! It's unfortunate that folks would think to do that. I hope that, for the sake on ongoing shareholders, that all requests for OBC thru this mechanism is checked against a database of some sort to ensure being an Active shareholder.

By this logic, it would seem as long as you've ever held 100 shares regardless of when or for how long you can get the OBC, as long as you have a copy of the stock certificate from when you owned it.

I was thinking of purchasing this stock because I'm now a regular cruiser, but as a potential company shareholder, I think I need to do some more research.

It is not quite as easy to scam the system as you may think. I believe your proof of stock ownership must be dated within 90 days of the sailing date.

As far as Carnival plugging the loophole, they can't !! Day traders can trade a stock every minute if they choose. That is the way the market operates.

The small number of those who would use this to get OBC won't make a dent in the stock value, so it is not a concern regarding whether to buy or not. You should use your own judgment to determine if you think a 3percent return plus the OBC makes it a good investment for you.

I have bought and held mine and believe it to be a very good choice for me.

So I can't buy 100 shares for me and 100 shares for my wife to get us each a $100 credit. It is one credit per cabin?

But I book 2 cabins because of the kids. So if I listed her in one room and me in the other I can get the credits on both cabins?

I wish it was per person. There are 6 of us. I could get $600 credit. That would be worth it then.

So I can't buy 100 shares for me and 100 shares for my wife to get us each a $100 credit. It is one credit per cabin?

But I book 2 cabins because of the kids. So if I listed her in one room and me in the other I can get the credits on both cabins?

I wish it was per person. There are 6 of us. I could get $600 credit. That would be worth it then.

HHmmm good question. Maybe you can if you do seperate res?

So, what is so hard about doing that?

I don't understand your question . Can you please read the post I referred to and let me know what I didn't see?

Is this what you are asking about ? If so, that is why I mentioned the 90 day restriction.

Edited by swedish weave

If you book two cabins and show you in one and your wife in the other under two bookings ---AND -- If you each own 100 shares of stock, you can get two OBC credits. You must file separate applications for the OBC.

Edited by swedish weave

If you book two cabins and show you in one and your wife in the other under two bookings ---AND -- If you each own 100 shares of stock, you can get two OBC credits. You must file separate applications for the OBC.

Will work if you both own the stock individually.

Great. Thank you. I think I will buy 100 shares in my wife's name and 100 shares in my name.

I don't understand your question . Can you please read the post I referred to and let me know what I didn't see?

Is this what you are asking about ? If so, that is why I mentioned the 90 day restriction.

My last cruise I booked in May, sailed in Nov. and got the owner's OBC shortly after I booked. I've got the credit several times way before 90 days and once even sold the stock before we sailed. SO, if there is a 90 day rule it isn't always enforced. Probably mentioned before but only 1 credit per cabin no matter how they are booked.