Marina View B&B, question...

Lydia B.

Good morning,

Marina View B&B was recommended by a cruiser just recently. I have tried to contact them via their reservation link on two occassions using two different email addresses. Last night I tried to just write them via the info link and the email kicked back.

Anyone stayed their recently or has anyone heard if there is a problem with this B&B?

Thanks, Lydia

We just stayed there again in October for 3 nights. We had stayed there before another cruise last year for 4 nights. And we like it so much we have it booked for May 2014 for one night and July 2014 for 3 nights. Obviously we really like it. If you go on Tripadvisor you will see a lot of reviews and it will also show you how to contact them. Its shows you their website. I hope this helps.

I have been on their website in order to place a reservation and no replies in a week. The link to contact them on their website is kicking back as a bad email address. I hope nothing has happened to the establishment or the owner.

swmichigan cruiser,

Thanks for the information. The email off their site (and perhaps somehow Google is showing me an old website) was 'info@marinaview.com'. I just forwarded my original email to the the address you supplied. Appreciate the help and thanks for the positive comments. I am trying to find out approx. how much and if the Columbus room is available. Have a good Sunday, Lydia

P.S. I figure you must be from Michigan...good luck with the big game...I am from OSU.

Good morning,

Marina View B&B was recommended by a cruiser just recently. I have tried to contact them via their reservation link on two occassions using two different email addresses. Last night I tried to just write them via the info link and the email kicked back.

Anyone stayed their recently or has anyone heard if there is a problem with this B&B?

Thanks, Lydia

We had a great time staying there, super convenient to everything. Didn't have a problem getting hold of them. If the emails are bouncing, I would try just phoning. If you still have an issue, I'll dig up the email address we used just to confirm..

I just sent them an email and it didn't kick back at me yet. Are you trying marinaview@marinaviewbcn.com ?

Lydia--I can confirm this is the correct email. I had a conversation with the manager, Paddy, earlier this week. He is very prompt in answering email.

Good luck --I hope it works for you.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Just an update. With your help I was able to contact Paddy successfully and we will be staying at the B&B in April. Paddy mentioned that his normally policy is a two night booking, but since we are from Columbus and want the Columbus room, he would waive the requirment just for us! Said he and Christopher Columbus will be waiting for us with a glass of Champagne. I can't wait, like all of you have said he sounds delightful. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving fellow cruisers, Lydia of Ohio

Just an update. With your help I was able to contact Paddy successfully and we will be staying at the B&B in April. Paddy mentioned that his normally policy is a two night booking, but since we are from Columbus and want the Columbus room, he would waive the requirment just for us! Said he and Christopher Columbus will be waiting for us with a glass of Champagne. I can't wait, like all of you have said he sounds delightful. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving fellow cruisers, Lydia of Ohio

I am glad this has worked out for you. You will have a good time!!

We are 2 ladies from Australia, and are just about to book the Captains Room at Marina View. Which is the best way from the airport to the accommodation ?????????????? Is it easy to get around while you are staying there. We have 3 nights in September, before we board Oasis of the Seas for 7 nights to Rotterdam. Will tour buses and the hop on hop off bus pick us up close to Marina View????????????? Look forward to your advice. Thanks Judy

Queensland Girl,

The review that DragonOfThe Sea posted is like a step by step of Barcelona. I printed it off for my future reference! Looks to me like Marina View is a good location to the Hop On Hop Off Bus and as it is two minutes from the Christopher Columbus statue, we can't really get lost.

I had the opportunity to visit the Gold Coast 10 years ago and truly enjoyed myself!

Enjoy your trip in Sept. Lydia of Ohio

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone answer the following questions concerning this inn.

1) Since this is a b&b I gather there are no private bathrooms. How many bathrooms are available?

2) Are the electrical oulets 110 watts?

Thank you.

I have found this is not a traditional B&B like in the US. There are no real common areas your breakfast is served to you and your room for instance not in a breakfast common room. From the information that I check online at their website it appears that its room has its own independent and private bathroom. Have no idea at this time about the electrical outlets. Hope this helps. Lydia of Ohio

Edited by Lydia B.

Can anyone answer the following questions concerning this inn.

1) Since this is a b&b I gather there are no private bathrooms. How many bathrooms are available?

2) Are the electrical oulets 110 watts?

Thank you.

1) There was a private bathroom in the room we had (Captains Room). Quite spacious too. Great place to stay, and it's a really short walk (a few blocks) to the Columbus Monument / foot of La Rambla / Dresannes metro station. To get to the ship, you can catch the blue port bus from the water side of the monument for a couple of Euro, so if you can walk a couple of blocks with roller luggage, there's certainly no need for a taxi. If you're willing to walk a slightly longer distance (800m) you can also get from the airport by taking the train to Franca Station and walk along the waterfront.

2) No; The electrical outlets are standard European and provide 230 Volt/16 Amp (3680 Watts) using a CEE 7/7 plug/socket (two round pins, with an optional ground ring).

If you have equipment that is marked 100-240V (like most electrical charges for laptops/cameras/etc), you can plug it in using a simple adaptor which just converts the two round pins into an un-polarized north american type socket. They can be found for couple of bucks at Walmart (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZP5vtrRZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg). Such an adapter is also handy on a ship where often there are both US (120V) and EU (230V) style outlets; and this gives you another outlet for compatible equipment.

If you have an electrical appliance which is 120V only (like most hairdryers or pretty much anything with a heating element), you need something more complicated to step down the voltage. You're better off buying a cheap travel hairdryer with a 120/240 switch than to buy the voltage converter required.

Technical stuff; aka too much information:

USA / Canada standard is 120 Volts AC at 60Hz and a normal outlet is capable of 15 Amps for total power of 1800 Watts (Power in Watts = Volts times Amps)

European standard is technically 230 Volts AC at 50Hz and normal outlets are capable of between 13 and 16 amps. Mainland Europe previously was 220V, and the UK was 240V, but now they just call it 230V +/- some tolerance (I think the standard says +6 / -10%). What that means is locally within Spain the outlet is going to have a voltage of 220V (and in the UK closer to 240V) but everything is just simplified to calling it 230V these days, and that's close enough.

1) There was a private bathroom in the room we had (Captains Room). Quite spacious too. Great place to stay, and it's a really short walk (a few blocks) to the Columbus Monument / foot of La Rambla / Dresannes metro station. To get to the ship, you can catch the blue port bus from the water side of the monument for a couple of Euro, so if you can walk a couple of blocks with roller luggage, there's certainly no need for a taxi. If you're willing to walk a slightly longer distance (800m) you can also get from the airport by taking the train to Franca Station and walk along the waterfront.

Yes--the rooms have their own bathrooms. The bathroom for the Captain's room is quite elegant with glass enclosed shower and vessel sink. There were toiletries and a hair dryer in the bathroom. I made the decision to not use my curling iron for the days I was there.

We took a taxi to the ship. [10 euro included the tip] It picked us up beside the B & B and dropped us off by the terminal door. The driver helped DH with luggage--so worth it.

Yes we could have walked to the blue bus. But we had three bags + tote and decided we would only save a few euro. [2.5 euro pp for Blue bus]

We have booked the Columbus Room at Marinaview for September. How far is it to walk to catch the on/off bus to see Barcelona. ?????????? Also we want to do a couple of tours while staying there. Do tours pick us up from Marinaview, ????????? We are 2 ladies travelling together, and do not want to be walking too far especially at night. Thanks Judy

We have booked the Columbus Room at Marinaview for September. How far is it to walk to catch the on/off bus to see Barcelona. ?????????? Also we want to do a couple of tours while staying there. Do tours pick us up from Marinaview, ????????? We are 2 ladies travelling together, and do not want to be walking too far especially at night. Thanks Judy

Some tours will pick you up where you are staying. Usually this is considered a custom tour and costs more. You may be able to arrange a small group from your roll call. [There were 2 other rooms of cruisers the time we stayed there. ]

Many others begin from Placa Catalunya. It is an easy walk to the Placa from the Marina View [about 1/2 mile] up Las Ramblas. It is a little uphill--but, it is very gradual. There are always many people on Las Ramblas. We did not ever feel unsafe. We did not carry more money than we thought we would need. I left my jewelry at home.

Have fun Barcelona is a beautiful city and the Marina View is in a great location.

We stayed at the Marina last spring and found it to be an excellent location and enjoyed our stay there...We had our grandson with us and had three beds and there was still plenty of room for sitting and having our breakfast. We also had a nice view of the marina and enjoyed walking around down there. We felt very safe in Barcelona, however, we carried all of our money and credit cards in our money belts and therefore felt that we were in no danger of being pickpocketed....better be safe than sorry. There were plenty of great restaurants nearby and we were able to walk everywhere. We actually walked to the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell but it is a long walk (but a pretty walk). Also walked up to Montjuic which was a nice walk as well.

One word of warning on hair blowers, flat irons and curling irons....unless it has dual voltage, even with a converter and adaptor you have a high risk of burning it up upon plugging it in. I have witnessed this happening several times and had it happen to me as well. Now I have a dual voltage flat iron and hair blower (I bought them on Amazon and the description will say it has dual voltage). Most cell phones already have dual voltage so no problem there. If you get appliances with dual voltage, all you will need is a plug adaptor. Sometimes the hotels will furnish them if you ask but I have found it easier to just bring my own. I bought a set of various adaptors at a specialty store that carries travel items.

The Marian View is not a hotel with all of the hotel amenities but we totally enjoyed our stay there and found Paddy to be very helpful in answering our questions about the area.

Thank you, Scottbee and DragonoftheSeas for your response. In looking at a few of tbe pictures on TripAdvisor.com, the furniture in some of the rooms looked a little worn out. Is that correct?

I did not find that to be the case. I think it is more a matter of style. It has a minimalist/modern feel to it. We were in the Captain's room.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 5 months later...

The Marina View B&B seems to be a popular spot for cruisers who prefer B&Bs or guesthouses. I'm just starting to research accommodations for our cruise next year out of Barcelona so I may come up with an appropriate budget. When I go to the Marina View website, there are no rates displayed. Am I blind and missing it? Can anyone report on the rates here?

we stay there this April and it cost us 139 euros. Normally there is a2 night minimum but the manager was nice enough to let us have it just for one night. We stayed in the Columbus room if you decide to stay there make sure you take a piece of paper type of the address and hand it to your taxi driver. There are no markings on the building whatsoever and a lot of the taxi drivers don't speak English. Have fun

we stay there this April and it cost us 139 euros. Normally there is a2 night minimum but the manager was nice enough to let us have it just for one night. We stayed in the Columbus room if you decide to stay there make sure you take a piece of paper type of the address and hand it to your taxi driver. There are no markings on the building whatsoever and a lot of the taxi drivers don't speak English. Have fun

Thanks Lydia! I'm guessing it would be higher in July then since July would be high season. We'll be there July 2105. I really want to stay under $100 EU per night, so it looks like this option is probably not going to work with my budget. Thanks for the quick response!