From traditional to select...

sollan

We have decided to be a bit "wild and crazy" and have decided to try Select dining :D

Is it really working welll? Are there times to avoid? We will probably eat sometimes between 18:30 - 19:30 sometimes at 18:00.

Can we ask where to be placed (2 person table or together with others)? Waiting times?

Other pros/cons?

Thankful for all tips from experienced Select eaters...

We just returned from our first cruise with Celebrity. We had traditional dining and had requested a table for two. Technically I guess it was, but when a table is 6 inches away from another table for two, it becomes a table for 4. Luckily we enjoyed the company but be forewarned, your table for 2 may be like the one we had.

Just returned from the Celebrity Reflection. This was our second time doing select dining. We loved it! If we wanted a table for 2, we asked for it. If we wanted to join others, we said so. We had absolutely no problem and we met some lovely people.

I should add that we usually dined @ 20:30. Not sure if this made the difference or not.

With select you can choose to make a standing reservation for a specific time for each night, make reservations for differing times or just show when you choose to do so. We tend dine later, so find that if we just show up at 8 or 8:15 PM we are generally seated immediately. The meal option is as flexible as you would like it to be.

I am assuming there will be times that are busier, we thought about doing select dining but with a group of eight, I'm sure that it would be more difficult on the days with the best entertainment etc, so decided that traditional was the way for us to go.

I always sailed Celebrity (8 cruises) but recently was on the Norwegian Breakaway for an extended family cruise. I always liked the structure of Celebrity and wasn't looking forward to the "free style of Norwegian but there is something to be said for it. Sometimes on Celebrity I would miss an activity because of my dinner time or would sometimes feel rushed especially when in port. The plus side of Traditional is having the same wait staff who quickly learns if you take coffee or tea or want your coffee with you desert or afterward. Both have their plus and minius.