Cosmetics prices

montgo

We are sailing on QM2 T/A on 15th December 2013.

Does any body know prices and selecrtion of cosmetics on board. Have they got Chanel?

Thanks

Pat & John

I am onboard QE right now. If you give me specifics I can check for you. They do have Chanel perfume.

Edited by juliecat

We are sailing on QM2 T/A on 15th December 2013.

Does any body know prices and selecrtion of cosmetics on board. Have they got Chanel?

Thanks

Pat & John

Yes, they have Chanel. I think the price is more or less the same as in the US. You can properly just save the sales tax. I was on board a month ago. I wanted to buy the autumn edition nail polish but they didn't carry the color I wanted.

I would advise you to pack all your cosmetics. You simply cannot rely on the shop on board

My experience has been that they concentrate on perfume, the cosmetics are few in number. On one cruise (Transatlantic where most female passengers were Caucasian) the only cosmetics were for Latino/African-American females. Not one colour for pale complexions, this was true of every brand in the store..

On another cruise, even though we were at sea (again a TA) the shop closed for 2 whole days in order to stage a Perfume "Blowout" Sale. When the shop re opened the whole space was Perfumes, Perfumes, Perfumes, many being unknown brands.

QM2 sells an extensive range of cosmetics. I have always been able to buy cosmetics for my skin tone which is an unusual tone (very pale.)

The only reason for the shop to close for two days during a TA crossing would be due a problem with the shop fabric, it would not close for restocking etc. Major refits are carried out when the shop is normally closed, even during the night if needed.

"Blowout sales" take place on the tables outside the shop.

QM2 sells an extensive range of cosmetics. I have always been able to buy cosmetics for my skin tone which is an unusual tone (very pale.)

The only reason for the shop to close for two days during a TA crossing would be due a problem with the shop fabric, it would not close for restocking etc. Major refits are carried out when the shop is normally closed, even during the night if needed.

"Blowout sales" take place on the tables outside the shop.

Not true. The shop did close and passengers were very angry. The staff took out all the cosmetics and stocked the whole shop with perfumes.

I do not understand how passengers who are not on a cruise, should assume that nevertheless they KNOW the report is untrue. Are they psychics?. Do their physical bodies disembark from their own cruise, yet their spirits stay behind ?

From May to Jan, QE2 does approx. 36 cruises, these posters who" know it all", only do 2 or 3, yet they pronounce on the remaining 33 cruises as though they live on board 365 days.

I only report on those things which happen when I am on board. I know that EVERY cruise is different, even each day, MOST of us know that even the daily sheet can alter after printing due to events.

Not true. The shop did close and passengers were very angry. The staff took out all the cosmetics and stocked the whole shop with perfumes.

I do not understand how passengers who are not on a cruise, should assume that nevertheless they KNOW the report is untrue. Are they psychics?. Do their physical bodies disembark from their own cruise, yet their spirits stay behind ?

From May to Jan, QE2 does approx. 36 cruises, these posters who" know it all", only do 2 or 3, yet they pronounce on the remaining 33 cruises as though they live on board 365 days.

I only report on those things which happen when I am on board. I know that EVERY cruise is different, even each day, MOST of us know that even the daily sheet can alter after printing due to events.

My daughter in law used to work in the QM2 shops, that's where she met my son. She's told me all about the "behind the scenes" stuff including having to work through the night to rearrange the shops.

I've been doing 3-4 voyages of various lengths each year on QM2 since she came into service, I have only seen the shop closed when it is supposed to. Why would Cunard want to lose two days revenue?

I shall ask my daughter in law if the shop has ever been closed like that and report back tomorrow.

Reporting back from my daughter in law:

Cunard have a contract with the various cosmetic companies to sell their products, like the department stores do. Cunard can't just decide what can and can't be sold, otherwise they would be sued for breach of contract.

The whole cosmetic section of the shop can have the entire stock and shop fittings moved in about five hours. This is only done during normal closing hours. There would be absolutely no need to close the shop for this and my DIL has never heard of the shop being closed for two days just for this. Enough moaning goes on about normal closing hours. When they have been in the shop re-stocking while the shop is closed, people tap on the door then go off to the purser's office with the hump when they are told they can't come in.

Special promotions are put out on the tables outside the shops, normal stock in the shops is not affected.

No it wasn't, you can buy it all over the place: Boots, department stores and online.

I fear not. In addition to the parfum, eau de toilette, eau de parfum and eau premiere are shown on the Chanel website - http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragrance-beauty/Fragrance-N°5-95254. There is no mention of eau de cologne. There are many references elsewhere to the Eau de Cologne being discontinued in the 19990's - as Whitemarsh has pointed out.

Reporting back from my daughter in law:

Cunard have a contract with the various cosmetic companies to sell their products, like the department stores do. Cunard can't just decide what can and can't be sold, otherwise they would be sued for breach of contract.

The whole cosmetic section of the shop can have the entire stock and shop fittings moved in about five hours. This is only done during normal closing hours. There would be absolutely no need to close the shop for this and my DIL has never heard of the shop being closed for two days just for this. Enough moaning goes on about normal closing hours. When they have been in the shop re-stocking while the shop is closed, people tap on the door then go off to the purser's office with the hump when they are told they can't come in.

Special promotions are put out on the tables outside the shops, normal stock in the shops is In town not affected.

I was THERE. You were NOT. Neither was your daughter in law. Each Manager does things differently, it is the same with any store even those on land.

I once asked a Manager about their lack of an item, and was told they had no control over the inventory, that they did not know which stock they would be getting until it was on board, everything was done at Head Office. As most of the shopping public know, Head Office "air heads" give little thought to circumstances.

In town we have a local fabric store, the temp outside is 98 degrees very humid and sticky, and inside they have rack upon rack upon rack of FLEECE, sent by Head Office, with orders to SELL,SELL,SELL. Of course no one here in hot humid sticky Florida has any use for Fleece, but that does not mean anything to Head Office.

On board it does matter which cruise, where it is going, and the demographics of the passengers on board. Not just for the Cosmetic store but for the others also. Prices can also vary depending on these facts. On board the same knitted suit was priced far higher on the World Cruise than on prior cruises.

It is good that you can do 3-4 cruises a year, but that still means that you cannot pronounce with such vehemence on things that happen on the other 30+ cruises when you are NOT ON BOARD.

Each and every cruise is different to the one before it or the one that will follow it.

Cruises are not "widgets" there is no absolute "Quality Control " because you are dealing with people, passengers or staff , they are all DIFFERENT with each cruise. .