Malaga to Gibralta

yaletown605

Has anyone done a day excursion from Malaga to Gibralta. We are docked in Malaga at 9:00 until 7:00 pm so we have the whole day. Has anyone done this recently. I understand there is some border tension and I wonder if there would be any issues. Thanks in advance.

With the current situation between Spain and UK don't even think about it.

Even if you don't have any problems getting in there are often unexpected problems crossing the border back into Spain. If you are held up you could miss the ship :eek:

We heard last week that it was 2 hours in a bus there, 2 hours plus to get over the border, and then the ship tours were leaving after only a few hours because of worries about getting out! There are loads of other tour options from Malaga so I would give Gibralta a wide berth for a while. If you have never spent time in Malaga itself try that - it's a lovely city and really surprised me fo all it had to offer.

• 1 month later...

It is about a 3 hour round trip assuming that the tour company takes the motorway. An extra 20 minutes each way if they take the coast road.

Due to the border delays at present most companies are dropping off on the Spanish side of the border, saving you about an hour of queuing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would not risk such a day trip given the uncertainties at the Spanish/Gibraltar border. We also would not recommend such a trip unless one has already spent a lot of time in the South of Spain....as we find this region a lot more interesting then Gibraltar.

Hank

We would not risk such a day trip given the uncertainties at the Spanish/Gibraltar border. We also would not recommend such a trip unless one has already spent a lot of time in the South of Spain....as we find this region a lot more interesting then Gibraltar.

Hank

Couldn´t agree more!

Malaga itself is a wonderful place to spend a day - wonderful architecture, Castle, Alcazaba, Cathedral, Roman Amphitheatre, numerous museums including the unmissable Picasso Museum and Glass + Crystal Museum, excellent shopping, some of the best restaurants and traditional Tapas Bars you will find in Spain and some of the most welcoming locals.

If you really want to go on an excursion, consider Mijas which, although touristy, retains a great deal of Andalucian charm and is less than an hour away. Nerja is another excursion option offered by most cruise ships but don´t believe the hype about it being an unspoiled village - although it has pretty areas it is a large town with many, many tourists (mostly Brits).

Local tour bus timings don't work out for a port-of-call visit - they're geared to folk staying in hotels along the coast.

If you rent a car it's 80 miles, about a 90 minute drive. Plus of course the time taken to collect/return the car. The route is very simple.

Crossing the border in a vehicle, particularly into Gib, has always been a slow process, with a long line of waiting vehicles regardless of any temporary little spats between neighbours.

So savvy travellers always park at the border (plenty of street & underground parking), walk across the border, & take the five-minute shuttle-bus to town.

A car is in any case pretty useless in Gib - the town is very very easily walked but parking is problematic, and most of the little narrow twisty Upper Rock roads are for permit holders (mainly taxis/vans) only.

Because of their size, coaches from Spain are restricted to a designated route from border to coach park.

If you were in Malaga for a few days, I'd say go for it.

And a day-trip to Morocco too.

But I agree with the others, as a port of call it's a bit too fraught & there are so many other worthwhile alternatives.

Should you ever take another cruise in the Med, many ships include Gib. itself as a port-of-call. A much better way to visit.

JB :)