Embarking from Cape Town - How Problematic ?

ausethanol

There is a new terminal now at the Grain Wharf. It is vastly superior to what existed a couple of years ago when QM2 visited in the rain. We have done a full World Cruise embarkation and disembarkation there - and have also visited for the day on other ships. It is perfectly satisfactory for either purpose - and in many respects superior to MANY other cruise terminals around the World (including the Brisbane one further up the river) .

There is at least ample space for visitor parking and plenty of space for multiple buses for shuttles/shore tours to manouvre). Toilets, seating, helpful porters and Customs/Immigration Officers. Just don't talk to me about the so-called "Overseas Passenger Terminal" in Sydney -- nor the Mayflower Wharf or maybe even the entire dockyard facility at Southampton :(

If Cunard or the other cruiselines crossed off all ports in the World where they either berth at commercial dockyards, or which are more than an hour away from the local city of interest or which require tendering -- then half of the ports of the World would be off the charts :)) . How often does Cunard (or any other cruise lines visit Capetown) - and how interested are they in contributing something to build facilities there?

Barry

Barry, I was speaking of the arrival of the Sea Princess on 13th April 2013. It was raining, and when picking up our guests, we had to park several hundred metres away and the passengers had to walk across the muddy area with no cover or offer of any. It had been raining for several days beforehand - plenty of time for the port or Cunard to prepare. Cars were not allowed to come closer to pick up passengers and we spent most of the day apologising for the "Welcome to Brisbane" from Princess lines and the Port of Brisbane. We know two couples who are going around Australia on the forthcoming QM2 World Cruise and are flying to Sydney to board rather than go through the Port of Brisbane. After seeing your comment I rang the Port Of Brisbane and even they do do not claim to have a Cruise Terminal anywhere other than Portside- up the river -where only the smaller ships can venture, and then only one in the river at a time. Also they (Port of Brisbane) have done no new work since April this year. POB also told me that Cunard will be erecting a large marque for passengers - a pretty clear sign that they think the facilities are poor.

My only previous cruising experience was a short Cruise on the Carnival Spirit earlier this year and we were in our cabin within 15 minutes of arriving to embark. (there were plenty of problems with the Spirit but they were good at the embarkation through the Ocean Terminal) It was raining in Sydney but unlike Brisbane Grain Terminal there was plenty of cover.

I may not have your cruising experience but I stick by my comment that I wonder why cruise lines would bother going to a port with such poor facilities. Maybe they won't soon if the Billion dollar facility on the Gold Coast that is being heavily supported by the state government, proceeds. That would be much less convenient for people in Brisbane and then maybe Port of Brisbane will wake up and think about decent facilities - just when it is too late.

It was interesting that in 1990 when the larger wingspan Boeing 747-400 came into service, and then again a few years ago when the Airbus A380 went into service, airport complained about the capital that would be needed to modify the airports to take the larger planes. When faced with the choice of having them or not every airport given the opportunity of having the new aircraft found the money to make the changes. Lets hope the slow decision making of port authorities catches up with the reality of larger ships.

ausethanol - (mentioned earlier) embarkation in Cape Town in 2013 took place at the Good Hope Convention Centre. Check your final paperwork/tickets.

The main delay was at the Convention Centre. As an earlier poster advised, it might be better if you arrive later. At least there are seats and refreshments.

For those who wonder why Cunard and other cruiselines use ports without proper cruise passenger facilities my answer, in the case of Cape Town, is that it is a great place to visit (not just pass through) and it was part of the attraction in booking the sector. Smaller ships are able to dock at the V&A port area which I am sure would have decent facilities.

ausethanol - (mentioned earlier) embarkation in Cape Town in 2013 took place at the Good Hope Convention Centre. Check your final paperwork/tickets.

The main delay was at the Convention Centre. As an earlier poster advised, it might be better if you arrive later. At least there are seats and refreshments.

For those who wonder why Cunard and other cruiselines use ports without proper cruise passenger facilities my answer, in the case of Cape Town, is that it is a great place to visit (not just pass through) and it was part of the attraction in booking the sector. Smaller ships are able to dock at the V&A port area which I am sure would have decent facilities.

Thank you for your messages. I have been in Cape Town a number of times in the past but my partner has not been there before so we are spending 8 days in and around Cape Town before we embark on the cruise.

Thank you for flagging the Convention centre - we have booked in a place that is very close to the convention centre and I think will have a view of the ship as it comes in the day before we board. By the way how long did it take to go through embarkation for you ?

I agree that Cape Town has a lot to offer - for that reason I do not understand why the port authorities would not invest in decent facilities, and attract more cruise ships. It appears the only ships based out of South Africa are MSC out of Durban, which appears to have won out over Cape Town.

Again thank you for your reply. Bill

Arrive late(ish)-- with a book - sit on a seat in the shade (if possible) and WATCH the queue dwindle away.

Barry

I've seen this tip before. Always wonder how it would work if everyone did it.

How much shade do you have?

David.

For heaven's sake, this is Africa!

Why do you make such a fuzz about this?

Capetown has probably the best air connection of all South African ports.

Patience is an attitude, not a feature which may be replaced by money...

Pushka, You may be right legally, but it is the first link to the Cruise company and it would seem to me that the Cruise companies have plenty of weight to throw around, telling the local authorities that unless they get it right, they will not come into that port again. I have seen it suggested on Cruise Critic that Cape Town may go off the Cunard list for similar reasons. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression !!

Frankly I wonder why Cunard is coming into Brisbane though it suits us, as we live in Brisbane. The Cruise Terminal is up the river at Hamilton (a good facility and convenient position to the city) but can not take larger liners like QM2. The alternative at the main port at the mouth of the Brisbane River is the "Grain Terminal Wharf" !! (the name says it all) I have never boarded there but have picked people up there and it is appalling. (actually looking at it on Google maps it looks a lot like the Cape Town berth) Last time we picked up visitors there it was raining, the berth was a sea of mud and you had to park several hundred metres away, with no cover between where you come off the ship and where you get into cars. It was predictable as it was in the wet season, so Port Of Brisbane should hang its collective head in shame, and get a new facility built immediately. But the cruise company did not do anything either. We have Brisbane friends who are travelling on the QM2 World Cruise circumnavigation of Australia and are flying to Sydney to do a Sydney to Sydney journey rather than go through Brisbane. If Adelaide has a cruise terminal that can handle large ships you are fortunate that the authorities in your state have more foresight than in Queensland.

Not only has Adelaide a dock that can taken liners the size of Queen Mary 2 it was, on my world voyage on the ship in 2012 , the port where we received the warmest of warm welcomes - we visited twice and you MUST NOT miss the Old Gum Tree trio welcoming you to their city. They were playing on the balcony of the upper tier of the cruise terminal building. OK one of their numbers was the Aussie "national anthem" (Waltzing Matilda) but I never tire of hearing it. Truly amazing welcome and what a send-off we got. I counted more than 30 craft of all shapes and sizes on the water and then there were hundreds lined up waving and cheering as we left (not, I hope, they were pleased to see the back of us!). A scene I won't forget in a hurry.

........ Is the right answer.

To complete the response to the original question: There were the best part of 1500 people in the Convention Centre, it was manic and not particularly well organised by the port authority. Cunard staff were pretty good but there was inadequate communication all round.

ausethanol - I would say from arriving at the Convention Centre to boarding the ship took about 1-2 hours. Pre-cruise we stayed at the Best Western Cape Suites which turned out to be just up the road from the embarkation point. If we hadn't had luggage we could have walked it.

Has anyone ever tried to avoid the Convention Centre chaos for boarding at Capeown---take a cab direct to that large tent at the Pier-------and do the formalities at that point?

I do recall getting off QM2 few years ago after a wonderfull voyage from NewYork and the tent and carpark was chaotic!

ausethanol - I would say from arriving at the Convention Centre to boarding the ship took about 1-2 hours. Pre-cruise we stayed at the Best Western Cape Suites which turned out to be just up the road from the embarkation point. If we hadn't had luggage we could have walked it.

Thank you 2irisheyes !! We will hope that Cunard can get its collective act together and board passenger much faster this year !! You don't get a second chance to make a first impression !!

We are staying at Canal Quays which is just under 500 metres walk (or 2 minutes drive) away from the convention centre (which in anycase is listed as the closest place to catch a bus). So I guess that we could go down first and have a look at what is going on at the Convention centre before coming down with our bags. We should have a view from our balcony just across the water from where the QM2 moors, so hopefully we can keep an eye on what is happening on the 2 days she spends in Cape Town.

Fingers crossed that Cunard have learned a little from previous experiences and be ready to process the arriving passengers, promptly and efficiently. Surely it is only a matter of Cunard having enough people and facilities to process the embarking passengers and enough consideration for their Cunard customers that they can make the operation a fast and efficient one.

Barry, I was speaking of the arrival of the Sea Princess on 13th April 2013. It was raining, and when picking up our guests, we had to park several hundred metres away

Well, I don't know where you parked -- but the public carpark there is fully bituminised and there is no mud between the carpark and the terminal. ??? BTW -- how do you find the parking within several hundred metres of OPT in Sydney??? :)

I have collected people from a ship calling into the Grain wharf -- on a very wet and blustery day. The only problem I had was holding the umbrella up with my third hand while carrying luggage with the other two!!

Barry

Surely the key concern with any cruise is the actual cruise itself and not the hour or less that you'll spend in any cruise terminal or embarkation tent/shed (whatever).

I'll add that I disembarked in Brisbane at the Grain Terminal in March of this year, the process and facilities seemed fine to me.

Well, I don't know where you parked -- but the public carpark there is fully bituminised and there is no mud between the carpark and the terminal. ??? BTW -- how do you find the parking within several hundred metres of OPT in Sydney??? :)

I have collected people from a ship calling into the Grain wharf -- on a very wet and blustery day. The only problem I had was holding the umbrella up with my third hand while carrying luggage with the other two!!

Barry

Barry,

We did not have to worry about parking in Sydney - we had no car with us and only had to walk from Circular Quay from a ferry. But it was a very quick and efficient check in and we were whisked through and were in our room in 15 minutes.

I hope that I have gained an unrepresentative impression of the facilities in Brisbane, and that we will have a smooth arrival in Brisbane on 21st February on the QM2. It is interesting that the port told me however that Cunard is building a large marque for the arrival.

Anyway I am confident from everything we have heard and read that the 24 nights on the QM2 will be wonderful and I will be thoroughly converted to cruising (as mypartner already is)

Thank you for your comments over the last few days.

Surely the key concern with any cruise is the actual cruise itself and not the hour or less that you'll spend in any cruise terminal or embarkation tent/shed (whatever).

I'll add that I disembarked in Brisbane at the Grain Terminal in March of this year, the process and facilities seemed fine to me.

Fair comment - I believe firmly that "there is no second chance to make a first impression" and that Cunard should be aware of that and want the embarkation to reflect the best that the passengers will see on the cruise.

Whatever happens with embarkation - and it seems from a number of comments above that Cape Town is a bit of a mess - I am sure the cruise will be wonderful. Thank you for your comment.

When embarking from any port, it isn't the cruise line that has the major impact on facilities but it's the owner of the Port's responsibility. Once you pass through immigration then the Cruise line responsibility takes over.

Has anyone ever tried to avoid the Convention Centre chaos for boarding at Capeown---take a cab direct to that large tent at the Pier-------and do the formalities at that point?

No chance as there is no checkin facility at the tent.

Fair comment - I believe firmly that "there is no second chance to make a first impression" and that Cunard should be aware of that and want the embarkation to reflect the best that the passengers will see on the cruise.

Whatever happens with embarkation - and it seems from a number of comments above that Cape Town is a bit of a mess - I am sure the cruise will be wonderful. Thank you for your comment.

I'm sure it will be too. QM2 is a wonderfully evocative ship, without equal. The food and service is excellent, you'll have a great time.

Have a great voyage.

Edited by Whitemarsh

You are spot-on!

For the record I found the Cape Town experience to be slow but it appeared organised. I would rather have waited seated for an hour or so in a building with a cup of tea than be left waiting with a similar number of people in a draughty, dusty tent which looked like the only alternative.

M-AR

ausethanol - At least you have the advantage (or not) of knowing what to expect - chaos. We were not expecting chaos and were somewhat surprised. Have a great trip. We are doing the final leg again this year but this time it is from Dubai to Southampton. How organised embarkation will be in Dubai, who knows.

It is interesting that the port told me however that Cunard is building a large marque for the arrival.

They appear to be doing this for all ship arrivals. We very recently arrived in Brisbane on RCI's Radiance of the Seas - and they built a temporary, covered walkway (not really a marquee) which protects passengers from the ship to the terminal building.

As far as I am concerned, the building there is in all senses a "terminal building".

Barry

for the Sydney locals----------what is the most practical way to get from the QM2 when we arrive to the Four Seasons Hotel?-- it's an easy walk--but not with the baggage--and not clear how the taxis would react to such a short trip!

I would say that you will have no hope at all??? -- it is only 400 metres from the entrance of the OPT to the entrance of the hotel.

Perhaps if you wave a $20 dollar note at the taxi driver as you make your request?? :)

Barry