Airbed

mmptmp

Has anyone rented an airbed for a princess cruise. My son is in an wheelchair and prone to pressure sores. I wondered if anyone has rented an air bed (not a hospital bed) and had success. We are doing Mexican Rivera round trip cruise De. 22. Thank you.

Has anyone rented an airbed for a princess cruise. My son is in an wheelchair and prone to pressure sores. I wondered if anyone has rented an air bed (not a hospital bed) and had success. We are doing Mexican Rivera round trip cruise De. 22. Thank you.

Not certain an airbed can even be rented. Would think the rental cost would be equal or more than if you actually bought one and brought it with you.

Would an egg crate foam bed topper be an option ? If so you can contact the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521 to see if these are available on board there ships if requested. I know RCCL's provides these on request at no charge. Just a thought

I suspect you are looking for a low air loss (LAL) mattress. If so, you would also need to rent a hospital bed frame. You can rent LAL mattresses, but they are not cheap, and not safe to be used on a regular bed frame, esp. the narrower ones on cruise ships. While you can check with the usual cruise ship rental companies for possible rentals, I suspect they probably will not provide rentals. A purchase would run you over $4000 likely, so if you can rent locally and bring it on the ship with you, that might be a good option.

Eggcrate foam does nothing to prevent pressure ulcers. If you decide to go with an overlay, a static air filled one like a Gaymar Sofcare or a EHOB Waffle overlay might be options; they will provide more pressure reduction than am eggcrate, but less than a LAL mattress, but you can purchase and easily pack into your luggage (be sure to get the adaptors to allow you to use a bike pump to inflate, and know how to set proper inflation). If you decide to go with foam, get a good quality high density 4" foam overlay such as a Geomatt or Biogard AFT.

Edited by Splinter