MSC Fantasia - Spring 2014 Med Cruise

emhug

I just booked a cruise next spring for a week long cruise on the Fantasia. I was hoping for someone to give my insight into the best way to get to the cruise ship in Venice (where to stay, what transportation to take). We have been on many cruises in the Caribbean on Royal/Carnival, but never a European cruise with MSC.

I have read as much as I can about MSC cruises, but if anyone has any insight I would love to hear it. Very excited to try something new!

I just booked a cruise next spring for a week long cruise on the Fantasia. I was hoping for someone to give my insight into the best way to get to the cruise ship in Venice (where to stay, what transportation to take). We have been on many cruises in the Caribbean on Royal/Carnival, but never a European cruise with MSC.

I have read as much as I can about MSC cruises, but if anyone has any insight I would love to hear it. Very excited to try something new!

Everyone has a different way of dealing with Venice. The issues are sheer expense, the business and the complications of travel caused by a canal city.

The conventional route is to fly into Venice Marco Polo airport, take the express bus to Piazale Roma and then the People Mover (light railway) to the port. If you are staying, then there is the additional complication of getting to and from your hotel.

My 'insight' is to stay on the Lido, near the vaporetto terminal. Then you can catch the Alilaguna blue line water bus directly from the airport to the Lido and from the Lido directly to the cruise terminal. No ground transport required - which seems fitting in Venice.

To see Venice, water busses run from the Lido to Venice every few minutes right up the Grand Canal giving all the best views of a much more expensive tour. There are around a dozen stops including all the most famous tourist landmarks including St. Marks and the Rialto Bridge. A reasonable plan is to alight at the Rialto bridge and meander back towards St. Marks. Drinks and food are double what you would expect in the back streets and ten-times anywhere near St. Marks. Then catch the water bus back.

The Lido is far less busy and more reasonably-priced than Central Venice and after a day touring around in the hustle and bustle is a welcome haven of peace to escape to. There are also better views of Central Venice from the Lido than you actually get in Venice itself.

We stayed at Le Boulevard hotel and will do again in March. It is an old-fashioned four star with a sense of history and a good breakfast buffet a couple of minutes walk from the Lido water bus stop. I could not imagine a more convenient place to stay pre or post cruise in Venice.

Tim.

What Tim says makes a lot of sense and is what many do. It is easy and cheap as long as you're not like me and travel alone with too much luggage!

I can't be bothered with the whole hassle of bus, people over walking bit so just go by land taxi or hotel shuttle service. He lido is definitely reasonable compared to staying in Venice itself. Mestre is another good alternative. Close to both Marco Polo and the port and doable at a reasonable price by taxi (around €30). Lots of the hotels have a shuttle service to the port and airport (Quid, Antony for example). Depending on how long you are planning as a pre or post cruise stay, the Vivit is very reasonable and in the heart of Mestre in a very old pedestrianised square. It's full of character and lots of interesting things to see just a stroll away. Mestre connects to Venice across the causeway in around 15-20 minutes by bus or even quicker by a one stop train.

What Tim says makes a lot of sense and is what many do. It is easy and cheap as long as you're not like me and travel alone with too much luggage!

I can't be bothered with the whole hassle of bus, people over walking bit so just go by land taxi or hotel shuttle service. He lido is definitely reasonable compared to staying in Venice itself. Mestre is another good alternative. Close to both Marco Polo and the port and doable at a reasonable price by taxi (around €30). Lots of the hotels have a shuttle service to the port and airport (Quid, Antony for example). Depending on how long you are planning as a pre or post cruise stay, the Vivit is very reasonable and in the heart of Mestre in a very old pedestrianised square. It's full of character and lots of interesting things to see just a stroll away. Mestre connects to Venice across the causeway in around 15-20 minutes by bus or even quicker by a one stop train.

This makes me happy! :) We are staying at Hotel Al Vivit for 2 nights in May prior to a week on Fantasia. Do you have any more tips for the area?

Last time, we stayed at Hotel Caneletto, which is about halfway between the Rialto & St Marks. Considering it's location, the prices were pretty good. Nice enough hotel too. Nightmare to find on first visit to the city though!

There is some very good info in this post. I am arriving into Venice by train. Is the Lido area easy to get to from the train station?

You've 2 options. Vaporetto which can get very crowded at peak times so not much fun with a lot of luggage. But cheap. Water taxi really expensive. We got one from the Station to our hotel near bridge of Sighs and it was €100 for a ten minute journey. The lido would be a lot more expensive.

Try looking at the routes for the Alilaguna (airport water buses) they are more expensive than vaporetti, but more geared up for luggage. It's possible that one of the routes ha stops at the lido and station.

This makes me happy! :) We are staying at Hotel Al Vivit for 2 nights in May prior to a week on Fantasia. Do you have any more tips for the area?

Last time, we stayed at Hotel Caneletto, which is about halfway between the Rialto & St Marks. Considering it's location, the prices were pretty good. Nice enough hotel too. Nightmare to find on first visit to the city though!

I've stayed at al Vivit twice. The first was pre cruise on a Saturday and they had a great little market on in the square where the hotel is. German beer stall, lots of fresh foods etc. very entertaining. Also a great little gelateria about a 100 yards down towards the clock tower on the same side as the hotel. On my return trip it was a Sunday and a bit quieter with no market. Still a few nice restaurants aroundive been to Venice a few times before and seen a lot of the man sights, so when having a day out at Mestre, I don't bother trying to go back into Venice. It is magical but unbelievable expensive and a hassle getting around.

You've 2 options. Vaporetto which can get very crowded at peak times so not much fun with a lot of luggage. But cheap. Water taxi really expensive. We got one from the Station to our hotel near bridge of Sighs and it was €100 for a ten minute journey. The lido would be a lot more expensive.

Try looking at the routes for the Alilaguna (airport water buses) they are more expensive than vaporetti, but more geared up for luggage. It's possible that one of the routes ha stops at the lido and station.

Thanks. I am trying to decide between staying in Mestre or somewhere in Venice. I have been to Venice before but only for a day trip. I want to be there in the evening but have read it is easily accessible from Mestre without having to drag our luggage from the train station to a hotel. I also don't want to spend a fortune just to sleep in Venice.

Missing by a week!! Half the fun of these trips is the planning for me! So far (and nothing is written in stone!)-Venice .... 17:00 Docked

Bari 13:00 18:00- wander around town

Katakolon 13:00 19:00 On our own using Katakolon Taxi-

Olympia (archaeological site +

stadium museum), olympia land winery and if time allows St andrew beach for coffee. This tour takes approximately 4

hours

Santorini 09:00 17:00 Tender-We are taking the ship sponsored tour to Oia and will leave the group and do the rest of the day on our own. We did this before in Santorini. I know it is more costly,but I love it here and want to get the most hours I can on this lovely island!

Piraeus 07:30 16:30 - We were here this past April so we are looking for something different then the main tourist attractions.Possibly the beach.

Corfù 12:30 18:30-Last time we did a beautiful beach and this time I'd like to see Corfu Town

Dubrovnik 08:00 14:00 Love it here! Probably wander the town and find the Buza Bar. We did not go there on our last visits and we have regrets.

I'd love to know if you have made any plans and what they are! I'm always open to new ideas.

We have been to Venice a few times. I like to stay near the Rialto or St Marks Square so that we can walk all over. We have always stayed in small hotels in Venice so it's not an absolute fortune and has a try Venetian feel.

Missing by a week!! Half the fun of these trips is the planning for me! So far (and nothing is written in stone!)-Venice .... 17:00 Docked

Bari 13:00 18:00- wander around town

Katakolon 13:00 19:00 On our own using Katakolon Taxi-

Olympia (archaeological site +

stadium museum), olympia land winery and if time allows St andrew beach for coffee. This tour takes approximately 4

hours

Santorini 09:00 17:00 Tender-We are taking the ship sponsored tour to Oia and will leave the group and do the rest of the day on our own. We did this before in Santorini. I know it is more costly,but I love it here and want to get the most hours I can on this lovely island!

Piraeus 07:30 16:30 - We were here this past April so we are looking for something different then the main tourist attractions.Possibly the beach.

Corfù 12:30 18:30-Last time we did a beautiful beach and this time I'd like to see Corfu Town

Dubrovnik 08:00 14:00 Love it here! Probably wander the town and find the Buza Bar. We did not go there on our last visits and we have regrets.

I'd love to know if you have made any plans and what they are! I'm always open to new ideas.

We have been to Venice a few times. I like to stay near the Rialto or St Marks Square so that we can walk all over. We have always stayed in small hotels in Venice so it's not an absolute fortune and has a try Venetian feel.

I haven't booked any shore excursions yet but have been looking for ideas. In Bari I am considering the ship tour to Alberobello (sp). It looks interesting.

Santorini - I planned on taking the boat/bus package from the pier to Oia and then the bus from Oia to Fira. From there either walk or take the cable car back to the ship.

Athens - see the highlights.

Dubrovnik - walk the wall and old town area. Find the Buza bar. Maybe the cable car if time permits.

Katakolon and Corfu are still undecided. I would love to hear about the beach you visited in Corfu. How did you get there?

In corfu we took the ship excursion to the beach. I'm sorry but I don't remember which one. If I was to do it again, I would take a cab. Through the excursion we barely had any beach time and the cost would have been about equal especially if you can find someone from your roll call to share the cab with.I'll look and see if I can find which beach and let you know if I do.

This trip has a great itinerary and everyday another great port!

EMHUG-What week will you be on the Fantasia?

In corfu we took the ship excursion to the beach. I'm sorry but I don't remember which one. If I was to do it again, I would take a cab. Through the excursion we barely had any beach time and the cost would have been about equal especially if you can find someone from your roll call to share the cab with.I'll look and see if I can find which beach and let you know if I do.

This trip has a great itinerary and everyday another great port!

EMHUG-What week will you be on the Fantasia?

Thanks Kadey! I agree that this cruise has a great itinerary. I am thinking that Corfu and Katakolon might be our 'take it easy' days since we don't have any sea days on this cruise.

Hi All :)

We are also doing this cruise but on May 18th. It will be our first on the Med & with MSC. Thanks for the great suggestions regarding port activities. Nothing organised as yet, however really looking forward to Santorini. Not sure whether to take ships tour or do our own thing. I have read about the long queues for the cable car & the treacherous walks & donkeys. I will keep watching this thread for ideas.

Also, we are flying into Venice (from Australia) 2 days early & have booked the Hotel Violino D'Oro right near St Marks Square. Has anyone stayed here before? It is well located for walking around & only 3 bridges to cross with luggage etc, so hoping it's OK.

Betty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Only 3 bridges with luggage - yikes I struggled with one. You do realise you'll need to carry luggage over them? They have stairs not a nice smooth ramp. I struggled getting over just one and I didn't have my usual cruise heavy luggage but a large wheeled duffle bag for a short city break. Anywhere near St marks square whilst picturesque is unbelievable expensive for food and drink. Still if you've never been, it's a good location for exploring Venice for a few days.

For those of you. Decided whT do do in Katakalon. There are plenty buses in town going to Olympus waiting when you get ashore. Much cheaper than shore excursion but you don't get a guide. If you've already done Olympus, there s. Wee HOHO tourist train that heads into the countryside through an old Greek village and then has a stop at a winery. Next stop is at a nice beach. Costs around €6 I think. The scenery enroute is very pleasant.

Anywhere near St marks square whilst picturesque is unbelievable expensive for food and drink. Still if you've never been, it's a good location for exploring Venice for a few days.

I believe it was around £12 ($20) for a coffee near St. Marks this year. We saved ourselves for the Lido.

Venezia.jpg

And another pic.

Venezia2.jpg

The Grand canal is the inverted 'S' in the centre. The MSC Fantasia is in the Guidecca canal having left the port just to the right of her. The coaseway runs off shot to the right to Mestre, and the Lido is the long narrow strip to the left.

Taken from the BA plane to London just after leaving the Fantasia earlier this year.

And another pic.

Venezia2.jpg

The Grand canal is the inverted 'S' in the centre. The MSC Fantasia is in the Guidecca canal having left the port just to the right of her. The coaseway runs off shot to the right to Mestre, and the Lido is the long narrow strip to the left.

Taken from the BA plane to London just after leaving the Fantasia earlier this year.

I love this picture you managed to get.

I tried to get one myself but got nowhere near your quality.

I love this picture you managed to get.

I tried to get one myself but got nowhere near your quality.

Thanks. It was to me a very emotional parting from the Fantasia after an extraordinary 18 days. I took loads of photos through the plane window, this is not the one that appeared on the blog. Too many memories in such a short period of life.

My friend from University, James, who will be joining us on the Armonia, calls that emotion 'post-bliss syndrome'. You will like him. I am jealous that everyone likes him. But I cannot fight off the laughter in his company no matter how resolved I start out.

We have an excellent cruise ahead of us.

T.

When we arrive in Venice next April (with Tim, Amo, Papcx et al) our flight home isn't until the following evening.

With that in mind we (as in husband and I) have decided upon a hotel opposite the train station. Close enough to the people mover terminus that we only have to cross one bridge. Opposite a vaporetto stop and right on the Grand Canal.

Plan is to dump bags, get on a circular route and see where the mood takes us. When we get hungry we will go to Alfredo's for pasta to go near St Marks and then walk our way back to the hotel where we will drink Prosecco.

The next day will be similar until it's time to leave for the airport. A quick trot back to Piazzle Roma and then on to the airport bus.

Just need to find recommendations for a good evening risotto around the area of the train station.

Emhug- There is a roll call on theses boards for our trip.I think its on the second page now. It's still a little quiet but nice people have checked in!

This will be our 22nd cruise. Our 4th in the Med.Twice on Costa and once with Norwegian. We loved all three. We will be new to MSC also and have been doing a lot of reading about this line. I think it will be different in a few ways from the American line,but different doesn't mean bad! This past April we were on Norwegian where it was mostly English speaking guests. Our Med cruise before that was on Costa where out of 3,000 guests there were only 300 English speaking guest. We thought it was fun when someone heard us speaking English and they'd come over to say hello. We had a great day on a beach excursion trying to talk with an Italian couple about all our children and their colleges with each of us speaking very little of each others languages! Our expectations going on MSC is that it's going to be different than Norwegian was but that doesn't mean we are going to lower our expectations!Does that make sense??

My Dh and I went to school at University of Maryland and our daughter is there now for grad school. Also,my brother lives in Arlington. Nice area! We are from outside of Philadelphia.

Skipper Tim has some great photos and I recently read his fantastic and informative blog from his 18 day voyage. It's full of wonderful information and some great stories!!

Only 3 bridges with luggage - yikes I struggled with one. You do realise you'll need to carry luggage over them? They have stairs not a nice smooth ramp. I struggled getting over just one and I didn't have my usual cruise heavy luggage but a large wheeled duffle bag for a short city break. Anywhere near St marks square whilst picturesque is unbelievable expensive for food and drink. Still if you've never been, it's a good location for exploring Venice for a few days.

For those of you. Decided whT do do in Katakalon. There are plenty buses in town going to Olympus waiting when you get ashore. Much cheaper than shore excursion but you don't get a guide. If you've already done Olympus, there s. Wee HOHO tourist train that heads into the countryside through an old Greek village and then has a stop at a winery. Next stop is at a nice beach. Costs around €6 I think. The scenery enroute is very pleasant.

Yes the bridge crossing is what we are least looking forward to & hoping our included airport transfers by Emirates will deliver us close to the hotel. As for getting to the Port on Embarkation day, we have yet to sort that out. One can live in hope :) We have been to Venice once before on a tour & stayed in Mastre which was fine but became a hassle getting in & out of Venice.

We have experienced the exorbitant prices around St Marks Square, so will be looking for other options for dining etc. As we are there only 2 days, I am sure we will be fine.

Thanks for the tips on Katakalon ..... Will be a great help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD