MSC Fantasia - Spring 2014 Med Cruise

emhug

When we arrive in Venice next April (with Tim, Amo, Papcx et al) our flight home isn't until the following evening.

With that in mind we (as in husband and I) have decided upon a hotel opposite the train station. Close enough to the people mover terminus that we only have to cross one bridge. Opposite a vaporetto stop and right on the Grand Canal.

Plan is to dump bags, get on a circular route and see where the mood takes us. When we get hungry we will go to Alfredo's for pasta to go near St Marks and then walk our way back to the hotel where we will drink Prosecco.

The next day will be similar until it's time to leave for the airport. A quick trot back to Piazzle Roma and then on to the airport bus.

Just need to find recommendations for a good evening risotto around the area of the train station.

I am afraid as cheapskates, we will be partying in one of our rooms in Le Boulevard on the Lido. We have a supermarket next door and I will travel will a music machine. We will laugh, dance, laugh, dance, laugh .... you get the picture.

Skipper Tim has some great photos and I recently read his fantastic and informative blog from his 18 day voyage. It's full of wonderful information and some great stories!!

It was a great time because of the people I was with.

You never know, especially when travelling solo, how a trip will turn out. From an hour in, I never looked back. It was the most marvellous of times.

I hope your journey is too

T.

We'll be sailing on the MSC Fantasia in June 2014. Our plan is to disembark, then leave the luggage at the Venice Train Station (5€ the piece), explore Venice during the day, and then take an afternoon / evening train to Verona staying there for 2 nights.

Verona is lovely city which is just 70 minutes from Venice on train and if you fly through Milano Malpensa / Linate or Bergamo airports it's quite convenient. Also, hotel prices are way cheaper than Venice and you do not have to worry about dragging your things on the cobblestones streets and endless bridges of Venice.

Take into account than Venice during high season is not an easy place to move around. Too many people, too little space.

I lived in Padova (30km from Venice) for 6 months so I avoid staying at Venice if I can. For a romantic getaway or a pre/post cruise trip there are alternatives that suit us better. On the other hand I understand that if you've never been to Venice before you might be attracted by the atmosphere of the place and stay there for the night.

PS: About going to the beach. in the first weeks of May you might get lucky and have some almost 30ºC days, but the water in the Med it's still quite cold. You can swim if you are brave, but not everyone likes it! I love it :D

Edited by Elmartellama

For those of you. Decided whT do do in Katakalon. There are plenty buses in town going to Olympus waiting when you get ashore. Much cheaper than shore excursion but you don't get a guide. If you've already done Olympus, there s. Wee HOHO tourist train that heads into the countryside through an old Greek village and then has a stop at a winery. Next stop is at a nice beach. Costs around €6 I think. The scenery enroute is very pleasant.

I've read some bad reviews of the "Katakolon Express" company tours, which we already booked (only the bus without a guide). Do you have any suggestions about which company is most reliable?

Yes the bridge crossing is what we are least looking forward to & hoping our included airport transfers by Emirates will deliver us close to the hotel. As for getting to the Port on Embarkation day, we have yet to sort that out. One can live in hope :) We have been to Venice once before on a tour & stayed in Mastre which was fine but became a hassle getting in & out of Venice.

We have experienced the exorbitant prices around St Marks Square, so will be looking for other options for dining etc. As we are there only 2 days, I am sure we will be fine.

Thanks for the tips on Katakalon ..... Will be a great help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you have Emirates transfers then that is a different story! my favourite airline by miles. They may well spring for a water taxi for you and they can get a lot closer.

Have a look at Venice Connected's website. You can get various passes from them that include unlimited use of vaporetti (handy for nipping over to Murano, Burnao and the Lido or just for a journey down the grand Canal. Some include museum and public bathroom passes too!

If you have Emirates transfers then that is a different story! my favourite airline by miles. They may well spring for a water taxi for you and they can get a lot closer.

Have a look at Venice Connected's website. You can get various passes from them that include unlimited use of vaporetti (handy for nipping over to Murano, Burnao and the Lido or just for a journey down the grand Canal. Some include museum and public bathroom passes too!

Yes Emirates are our first (& only) choice. With a 26 + hour journey each way we have decided to upgrade to business class. So the included transfers should deliver us safely very close to our hotel. Getting from the hotel to the Fantasia May well be another story :)

Thanks for suggesting the Venice Connected website, have bookmarked it for longer perusal shortly.

These threads provide some wonderful information. I know I don't post often, however I read avidly.

Betty

"Emirates: No surprise that one of the world’s leading luxury airlines offers complimentary chauffeur-driven airport transfers to their First Class and Business Class passengers. Technically the rules state the service is not available on complimentary tickets or complimentary upgrades, but there have been reports of people still getting the service upon arrival in Dubai. Hey, it never hurts to ask! It’s available in more than 55 cities, leaving the competition in the dust…so to speak. Transfers are available from a passenger’s home, hotel or business to the airport, from the airport to their final destination and to and from the airport to a home or hotel when making a stopover. Chauffeur-drive can be requested online during booking, or when managing a booking. In Dubai, first class customers are provided with specially commissioned Mercedes vehicles, and business class customers are served by luxury Volvo cars (oh the humanity)."

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/travel-tuesday-top-10-airline-chauffeur-drive-service/#ixzz2myo0mLEn

And from the Emirates website:

Venice (VCE) First Class and Business Class Passengers: within 100 driven kms of Venice Airport. Complimentary transfers are provided either by motor boat or by vehicle, at the discretion of the service provider and depending upon location / distance.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Last month I had them pick me up in Edinburgh and take me through to Glasgow (papx 50 miles). They met me at Dubai and took me to my stopover hotel and then back again! could have had pick up at Mumbai (but my employers sent a car) and then from my hotel in Mumbai to the airport. Finally brought be back to Edinburgh when I flew into Glasgow. So hot 5 complimentary chauffeur services but could have had 6. All on time too with no hassles whatsoever. Brilliant service.

Hi Crochet Queen just read your posts about transfers with Emirates, just wondering if they transfer you from port to airport as well.

Thanks

Hi WA Girl

Yes they will transfer you from port to airport, providing it is less than 100klms. Not sure about economy, but certainly valid for First or Business class.

We are off to Monte Carlo for some river cruising after our ocean cruises (Venice to Venice on Fantasia then MSC transfer to Genoa & a 7 night Splendida cruise back to Genoa) so no other Emirates transfer until we fly home from Prague in July :)

"Emirates: No surprise that one of the world’s leading luxury airlines offers complimentary chauffeur-driven airport transfers to their First Class and Business Class passengers. Technically the rules state the service is not available on complimentary tickets or complimentary upgrades, but there have been reports of people still getting the service upon arrival in Dubai. Hey, it never hurts to ask! It’s available in more than 55 cities, leaving the competition in the dust…so to speak. Transfers are available from a passenger’s home, hotel or business to the airport, from the airport to their final destination and to and from the airport to a home or hotel when making a stopover. Chauffeur-drive can be requested online during booking, or when managing a booking. In Dubai, first class customers are provided with specially commissioned Mercedes vehicles, and business class customers are served by luxury Volvo cars (oh the humanity)."

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/travel-tuesday-top-10-airline-chauffeur-drive-service/#ixzz2myo0mLEn

And from the Emirates website:

Venice (VCE) First Class and Business Class Passengers: within 100 driven kms of Venice Airport. Complimentary transfers are provided either by motor boat or by vehicle, at the discretion of the service provider and depending upon location / distance.

Great information Skipper Tim.

We will have a choice of transfers available when departing Prague in July, APT/AMA or Emirates .... No prize for guessing which one we shall choose :)

• 1 month later...
And another pic.

Venezia2.jpg

The Grand canal is the inverted 'S' in the centre. The MSC Fantasia is in the Guidecca canal having left the port just to the right of her. The coaseway runs off shot to the right to Mestre, and the Lido is the long narrow strip to the left.

Taken from the BA plane to London just after leaving the Fantasia earlier this year.

Hi Skipper,

I LOVE this photo, its very helpful! We are travelling to Venice in August and trying to book suitable accommodation in an area that is not excessively overpriced, yet easy to get to where the ship leaves from.

In your photo, the ship is heading off to the left of screen, is the ship terminal that big block area back a bit to the left of the rear of the ship?

Thanks very much

Recommendations for hotels that are easy for travelling to the terminal are usually Piazzale Roma. Lido is cheap so Tim will recommend that when he returns from his travels overseas. You can use a water bus to get to the terminal. I personally prefer Mestre as it's just a 10 minute ride in a normal taxi so very easy to do with luggage. It's also very handy for Marco Polo airport. Hotels and restaurant over there so much cheaper than in the lagoon. I've used the Al Vivit a few times. Bit quirky, but friendly staff, decent breakfast and in a lovely location slap bang in the middle of the historic town centre in a pedestrianised area. Really, really nice. Has some character too. Some of the other ultra modern ones, well you could be anywhere in the World but with this one you know you're in Italy! Also been at the Antony and it was fine and also had a shuttle service to port/airport which had an additional cost but cheaper than getting a taxi on your own. Not a lot around a bout it though. Also have been in the best Western Quid which was also good but location not as good as Vivit. NH lAguna is in a nice location by a canal. Trouble is there are 2 buildings and if you are in the back one, then you have to walk around to the front one for the bar and restaurant which is fine in daylight and pleasant weather, not so fine when it's pitch dark and pouting with rain!

I was checking the price of this cruise in June and found out their tax was $49.50. Is it true? The Caribbean ones charge more than $100. New here, thank you!

Sorry don't know as taxes are included in cruise prices for Europeans! they are not billed separately but all countries have different rates for taxes. UK air departure tax is more than in other countries so when you are looking at fares for one direction you'll find flying from is more expensive than the return route.

Thanks. I am trying to decide between staying in Mestre or somewhere in Venice. I have been to Venice before but only for a day trip. I want to be there in the evening but have read it is easily accessible from Mestre without having to drag our luggage from the train station to a hotel. I also don't want to spend a fortune just to sleep in Venice.

Hi We are also having the 11th May sailing on Fantasia. We arrive on the 9th late and taking the shuttle bus from Treviso Airport (ryanair airport) to MEstre and spending Saturday visiting Venice as my Travel agent advised it is best to stay in Mestre easy to get to Venice and a Taxi to the port wont be expensive. we booked hotel Trieste main reason it has a lift/elevator. We will be 2 ladies and do not want to drag the luggage up stairs. Be careful when booking hotels that they do have lift as some are old buildings and they do not have a lift. The location of the hotel is also convenient as it is across the train station, a few metres away...again lugging of luggage from Shuttle bus stop to hotel will be minimal.

Edited by MTcruiser1970

Still trying to figure out departure flight timing. We dock at 8am, will there be a reasonable amount of time to catch an 11am flight at Marco Polo? I am not sure how disembarking goes on MSC and if travel time to the airport can be lengthy.

Thanks!

Hi We are also having the 11th May sailing on Fantasia. We arrive on the 9th late and taking the shuttle bus from Treviso Airport (ryanair airport) to MEstre and spending Saturday visiting Venice as my Travel agent advised it is best to stay in Mestre easy to get to Venice and a Taxi to the port wont be expensive. we booked hotel Trieste main reason it has a lift/elevator. We will be 2 ladies and do not want to drag the luggage up stairs. Be careful when booking hotels that they do have lift as some are old buildings and they do not have a lift. The location of the hotel is also convenient as it is across the train station, a few metres away...again lugging of luggage from Shuttle bus stop to hotel will be minimal.

We have decided to make the effort to stay in Venice. I think staying in Mestre would be more convenient but everything I have read says staying in Venice is special and I don't want to miss the experience. It may be my only chance to do so. I have noticed most hotels don't have lifts but I think we can manage. Can't wait until May!

My best friend and I are going on this cruise in June and have paid the extra money to stay the night before in Venice. We found a place online called the Belle Epoque that is only one bridge away from the bus station (piazzale Roma). The reviews say that the hotel is clean and in a good location but the staff is terribly unfriendly. I hope that we chose a good place!

Emhug- MSC recommends that you book return flights no earlier than Noon if you fly out the same day. I've read online that the bus trip on the AVTO to Marco Polo is only around 30 minutes.

Edited by Becci

Still trying to figure out departure flight timing. We dock at 8am, will there be a reasonable amount of time to catch an 11am flight at Marco Polo? I am not sure how disembarking goes on MSC and if travel time to the airport can be lengthy.

Thanks!

I really would not attempt that, it is far too risky. Venice is a big chaotic, disorganised port with lots of ships and literally thousands of passengers all trying to do what you will be trying to do. The road trip isn't long, if it is Marco Polo and not Treviso. It's the time to get off the ship, get your luggage, get your bearings and get on a bus. You won't be the only one wanting a bus, so you may not get on the first one.

The first passengers cleared to leave are going to be 8.45 at the earliest. Last time we docked it was a10 minute walk into the baggage hall. Even if you're capable of rushing with your luggage, it is not easy to do so with all the other people milling around outside. Venice occasionally has fog, which holds up disembarkation. A few times a year there are demos about cruise ships in the lagoon which can cause delays of an hour or so.

I always go for either an early afternoon flight and if there isn't one available I stay overnight in Mestre and fly back the next day. It takes all the stress and pressure away. I relax on the ship and let the first rush die down. I then saunter off after my colour has been called and there are then only a few cases waiting in that section, rather than dozens of folk all trying to barge in and grab their case. Take myself outside and make my way to the taxi queue. Never waited more than 15 minutes as the rush has subsided and am on my way to the airport around 10.30,

Final point to note that getting to your gate in Venice airport is slow too. 30 minute wait to drop off my luggage last time and an hour to getbthrough security (the queues were spilling right down the desperate re hall and it was around a 20 minute wait to just get to the entrance of the first barrier at security never mind snake around and around to get to the scanners.

If everything and I mean everything goes in your favour, you may just make it, but also could chance you won't.

P?S. Just noticed you don't appear to be European? MSC may well be holding the non EEC passports for Immigration to inspect, so you may have to factor in a wait to get that back too after the ship has been cleared.

Edited by AmoMondo