Newbie questions Viking Rinda Amsterdam to Basel

Embracedbylife

I just had a few questions hoping someone might be able to answer them!

Do you have to attend the lectures or info sessions or can we watch this on our room tv?

Any tips for a couple wishing to eat alone?

Any tips for self guided tours versus tour buses with lots of co cruisers? Are the tours like herded cattle or more like a small private group tour? Thx in advance!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Hi - have only taken 2 river cruises, both with Viking, so I'm in no way an expert. But until an expert come along here are a couple of thoughts on your questions:

No need to attend lectures - you can watch them on the tv in your cabin.

Hard to eat alone in the dining room - at least on our ship there were no 2-tops set up. There was one table for 4 and the rest larger. However you can eat dinner in the Aquavit Terrace - not the same meal that's being served in the dining room - a very limited selection. But you can dine alone if you choose.

On ocean cruises I always plan excursions with private guides because I can't stand the cattle herding of ship's tours. But since with river cruises the daily excursions are (for the most part) included in the price I just went with the flow on our recent cruise. Some places you dock near the city and can just go off on your own and explore. The itinerary we were on mostly involved bussing a distance to see things rather than docking right in cities. (we were on the Passage to Eastern Europe)

Our recent Viking cruise had rather large groups on the excursions - I'm thinking 40 or more - but I was told that's not the norm and they might have that many on each bus but then the group is broken up into smaller numbers to go with different guides.

Hope that info helped a little bit!

Just to add to Sparky's info on Viking; if you prefer to arrange private tours, the concierge desk is very good about assisting with that. They will make recommendations and assist with transportation where able. Also, you might want to check Trip Advisor for private tour providers in those cities where you might wish to explore on your own, but with a guide.

Hello,

big towns now often give you the option of a self-guided audio tour. They are normally available through tourist information centres. Most of the the places you visit on this cruise have good English websites. If you have special interests it might be worth enquiring at those places by e-mail or asking here in the forum.

Please note: the Marksburg castle is popular with cruisecritic members and worth the outing, but you cannot do this on your own really. The Marksburg can only be visited as part of an official guided tour.

notamermaid

45 F and sunny.

Thank you so very much everyone for all your info! this really helps a lot. I think we'll just go ahead and do the Viking tours as they are included already, but I wanted to be prepared for the worst LOL. I think we can try to do some walking around on our own in many places and then do the ships tour for the castles and then see the markets. We are doing this cruise for the markets :) Can't wait to see them, and glad to be able to do that on our own. Thanks again everyone :) Appreciate it!

Embracedbylife ~ as mentioned, you can see info sessions on TV in you room and no one has to attend these, although its a good way to know what will be going on.

As for tours - I think a guide can "make" a tour and so far we've had 2 on this trip I'd recommend - Martine in Strasbourg and Toby in Heidelberg who was the best we've ever had anywhere!! Ask at the desk - can't hurt to ask to be put in their groups. Last year - smaller Viking ship - we just picked the letter of the group we wanted. But either its the ship or new policy that just before group leaves you're given a card with group letter on it. But so far, so good!!!

And "dinner for two" - apparently you can eat in in the lounge with limited offerings but, in MHO, that'd take much of the fun of meeting new people away from the whole cruise experience! And this cruise has pleasantly surprised me - a younger passenger age! Met one young woman and her DH - she's celebrating her 30th b'day - she offered up info - I would never have asked! We've been having a blast with a group of Aussies - husband & wife traveling with her Mom and his parents - great people!!!!

But whatever you do hope you have a wonderful time! The CMs really are magical!!!!!