Tipping cruise director

ghstudio

On most lines the CDs are independent contractors--not employees of the cruise line. Those tips are their salary--no recompense from the cruise line. A good CD is worth every penny they earn. Pat

That brings up an interesting thought Pat. If, as it seems, most RC Companies are switching to all inclusive cruising how much will a CD earn then. I think everyone onboard works for a salary even if it's not much and tips supplement that. If there are no tips then either CD's will look for alternative employment or they'll expect a bigger pay day. Just food for thought.

BTW Tauck CD's and TD's are employed by Tauck, the only four onboard who are, and as such aren't independant contractors. I have no knowledge of how it works on other lines.

Rod

Edited by Ozjohnno

I think that this opens a larger issue. If a couple pay $14,000-$15,0000 for a 14 day cruise should they expect the cruise line to pay for a cruise director? What's next, do we pay for the captain and crew?

Why does this cause such angst and emotion? On an ocean cruise, gratuities are automatically added to your on-board account. Do most people actually have these removed???

I prefer the process with river cruising. I can tip - or not - based on my satisfaction with the service. And, it can be done anonymously, so I feel that the service is genuine, not because someone is just angling for a larger tip.

And, we already pay for the captain and crew with the cost of our cruise.

Fran

Edited by franski

We had a wonderful CD on Ama. Lilo met us in Budapest, stayed with us the whole time, made dining recommendations and reservations for us on land, stayed with us in Prague and arranged for a private transfer to another hotel for us with no additional charges. She popped up on all of our excursions to make sure everything was OK. She counted our luggage, made sure everyone and everything got to it's destination, and made sure we were all enjoying ourselves. She was worth every penny. These people are not to be confused with CDs on ocean cruises. They are more like personal assistants.

We totally agree with this comment. We were on AmaDolce in November and CD Monica was outstanding, beginning with our transfer from CDG to central Paris right through to our Amsterdam departure. Although we were mentally prepared for November weather in Europe (gray, rain, cold), Mother Nature and other gods threw a few more curve balls at us. The Mosel River flooded, requiring itinerary changes. One of our tour buses burned up (literally) on Germany's autobahn en route to a shore excursion.

Monica was always available. At our Paris hotel, she was a font of information and assistance. On board AmaDolce, we think she was the first person up and the last to go to sleep. She was with us on shore excursions. At all times, she was so pleasant, helpful and hardworking to ALL passengers. She organized our transportation from AmaDolce to the airport (we did not organize our air through Ama). Our fellow passengers were extremely varied in age and mobility and Monica worked diligently to ensure we ALL had a wonderful time.

We tipped her with pleasure and even added a little more. It was her attention to detail and hard work that ensured we had such a delightful experience.

We have booked another Ama cruise for next year, primarily as a result of Monica's professionalism and hard work.