Flight & Hotel Advice

bamm

We are sailing out of Seattle on Holland America on May 3rd and flying in from SFO. I'm planning on purchasing my flight tomorrow. Would everyone recommend flying in the morning of or the night before? I'm planning on flying Virgin America and they have flights leaving Saturday morning at 9:00am and arriving at 11:05am

Should I just fly out the evening before and pay for the cost of a hotel room? I would be leaving at 8:25pm from SFO and arriving at 10:25pm. I didn't really want to do this as there is not really any time to explore Seattle and I thought if I was going to spend an extra day there I would do it Saturday the day we return from the cruise and then fly home Sunday afternoon.

What pier does Holland America leave from? Can someone recommend a decent hotel near the pier? Is the pier close to the touristy spots like the fish market?

Thanks!

I can't help you with some of your questions but do recommend flying in the day before. Yes, it is an added cost but what is that cost compared to flight/weather delays, potentially missing the ship? Just the thought of that added stress makes it worth it to me.

HAL leaves from pier 91 which is not close to Pike Place market. I've read that there are no hotels close to the pier but the downtown hotels are about a $10 - 15 taxi ride from pier 91.

While you're probably safe flying in the morning you sail, the risk/reward equation wouldn't work for me. What if you get morning fog at SFO? (It's not unheard of in May.)

May 3 is the beginning of cruise season and I'd be surprised if Seattle hotel rooms were priced similarly to mid-season. You might try Priceline or Hotwire for a room downtown, then spend the morning visiting the Pike market - maybe pick up some spring flowers for your cabin (there ought to be tons of tulips in the market). Have a leisurely breakfast in the market, then cab to the pier around 1 PM. Could be a great morning.

Coming back, 11:50 is probably doable but I'd be off the boat asap - maybe self disembarkation. But I'd be more comfortable with a later departure. Both Virgin America and Alaska have numerous flights to the Bay area.