What to do in Liverpool

balf

On May 30&31 QV andQM will overnight in Liverpool.

I almost wish is wasn't my home city then I could see it with new eyes.

I love overnights in top rated ports. Sydney, Venice, St Petersburg. Now Liverpool which must be one of the most interesting ports to visit will give Cunard cruisers a little more time to see it at leasure.

Just do a search for what to do in Liverpool.

David.

Would you really include Liverpool with such cities as St Petersburg, Venice and Sydney? As nice as Liverpool probably is, it's a bit of stretch to include it with cities of that stature.

London, Paris, Rome, and Liverpool??…..it just doesn't sound right.

… London, Paris, Rome, and Liverpool??…..it just doesn't sound right.
Doesn't Liverpool sound much better in a list of some of the ports that the Queens actually visit, e.g. Halifax, Ft. Lauderdale, Southampton?

Doesn't Liverpool sound much better in a list of some of the ports that the Queens actually visit, e.g. Halifax, Ft. Lauderdale, Southampton?

Let's try it shall we?

New York, Hong Kong, Sydney & Liverpool…..

Hmmm…. I'm afraid I would have to say that I do not think that Liverpool is in the same league as these other global cities, but that's just my opinion. Happy to hear from those who think that Liverpool is in the same league as top rated ports such as New York, Hong Kong, Sydney, St Petersburg and Venice.

Edited by Whitemarsh

Liverpool sounds better? It's not the sound, it's the

Facts

Southampton , Halifax. Have immense nautical history

And are ports of much significance

Ft Lauderdale is am important cruise ship port

Liverpool port did play a part in the transatlantic trade

In the same league as Cobb , Ireland

Would you really include Liverpool with such cities as St Petersburg, Venice and Sydney? As nice as Liverpool probably is, it's a bit of stretch to include it with cities of that stature.

London, Paris, Rome, and Liverpool??…..it just doesn't sound right.

I didn't mention London, Paris or Rome, nor was I comparing Liverpool with the others in any way except as a great overnight stop on a Cunard ship.

I don't know of any port where there is so much of a city literally a stroll away from the ship. Museums, art galleries, two iconic cathedrals, The three Graces, Mersey ferries, shops all within very easy walking distance. And I mean easy.

There will certainly be no need for shuttle busses!

David.

We went into Liverpool in August on Elizabeth one thing that is nice about it is you dock right in the City there is a free tourist bus with knowledgeable guides, ours had a wicked sense of humour. The welcome and departure was not as good as Greenock but very nice to see. I have some photo's of the docking procedure if I knew how to post them I would as it is very different.

I'm no regular visitor to Liverpool or even a fan. In fact, last time out a family friend got his nose broken on the way back to the hotel after watching my son's band play at The Cavern. But I digress.

Please............ give it a rest with the Halifax, Southampton and other "major port" rubbish.

Southampton is a place I go to twice a year to get on a cruise ship but the place itself has little to offer. We even stay outside the night before. It's a place where they import and export cars all day and there is a big pile of scrap on the quayside a little up river. If you want to see a port go to Felixstowe or Tilbury.

Halifax is a place I really liked. There's a statue of Samual Cunard there dontcha know? Right at the other end there's a hotel with a giant wooden chair outside. And there's a very interesting glass shop and a tug in the shape of a cartoon character. Uhh, that's about it.

Fort Lauderdale is a major cruise port. Whoopee do. I drove in, dumped the hire car, got on a ship. Came back, got off the ship, picked up a hire car and went to Busch Gardens. We've not been back since.

Liverpool has immense maritime history, some of which you can see at the refurbished dockside and in the museums. There's the Tate Museum there as well. It was European Capital of Culture 2008 (as was Stavanger, a place I've visited twice and I can't figure out how it got the award).

Heard of the Beatles and Mersey beat? Go and take a look. The Cavern is still there, along with a cultural quarter. Fancy looking up a few famous songs, like Penny Lane or Stawberry Fileds? Go take a look or do the tour. Feeling religious? The place has two cathedrals, both of which are pretty special. There's plenty more if you want to venture just a little further.

Southampton? You're making me laugh.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I always liked the way "Liverpool" looked on the sterns of two of the greatest ships ever built.:D
I wonder, has Bermuda ever been asked by Cunard to rename some inlet "Southampton" or "Liverpool"?

I wonder, has Bermuda ever been asked by Cunard to rename some inlet "Southampton" or "Liverpool"?

Wiki has Southampton, Bermuda named after the 3rd Earl of Southampton, born 1573. I never knew Cunard had any influence that far back.

It does have a Unesco World Heritage Site there, as does Liverpool - having six of them all related to it's remarkable maritime heritage that long pre-dated Cunard or even the White Star Line.

Look what the locals think http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10729890.City_of_Southampton_slated_in_new_book/

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

For those who disagree, just one word: BEATLES!;)

P.S.: 4EVER

Yes, the Beatles are great ambassadors for Liverpool and must have loved it. This is evidenced by them leaving the city as soon as they could once they got two pennies to scratch their backsides. There are many great things about Liverpool but they aren't. The docks are central and close to the city but the Mersey is shallow and doesn't really handle large modern ships too well, arrival and departure has to coincide with the high tide which complicates things. It also only has two high tides in 24 hours whereas Southampton has 4.

Yes, the Beatles are great ambassadors for Liverpool and must have loved it. This is evidenced by them leaving the city as soon as they could once they got two pennies to scratch their backsides.

Of course they left, great talent always does. Did Sinara stay in Hoboken?

Anyway if you had lived in the city at that time you probably would have left also. But cities can change. It's just a pity Southampton hasn't got round to it yet.

David.

Anyway if you had lived in the city at that time you probably would have left also. But cities can change. It's just a pity Southampton hasn't got round to it yet.

David.

No but by the same token neither he nor the media kept banging on about how important his roots were and how much being born there was important to him.

No but by the same token neither he nor the media kept banging on about how important his roots were and how much being born there was important to him.

Then there is also professional Liverpudlian's such as:

John Lennon's aunt Mimi

Cilla Black and her cod "Liverpool" accent

Les Dennis

Billy Fury etc etc

From over the water you have Paul O'Grady, who left the area even before he hit the big time.

At least Gerry Marsden only went as far as The Wirral.

David.

hello David,

I disagree with you. Southampton "has got round to it".

Southampton has a very rich nautical history through the Centuries .

Southampton was a very important seaport during World War 2.

Southampton played a very, very important role in Immigration history to the United States.

Southampton has done extensive urban renovations,and are historically correct. Great Pubs.

Southampton is beautiful :)

Edited by turquoise 6

There are a lot of cultural attractions in Liverpool. Fantastic bars, restaurants and entertainment venues. All on your door step - or should I say at the end of the gang plank....

Every port has something to offer if you take a look - but its never wrong to want to stay 'home' if that's what takes your fancy.

When its your holiday so you get to do, or not do, whatever you fancy.