Glory Food Thoughts

JillK

Wow, something definitely went wrong from week 1 to week 2 of the new menus, especially concerning the carrot cake--it was beautiful on the plate, but the frosting was terrible. Someone at an adjacent table ordered it, and it looked so good that I ordered it, too. When it came, I took a big bite and almost choked. It was like they had the ratio of sugar to cream cheese wrong--way wrong, as it had kind of a sour taste. I noticed when we left the dining room that there were plates and plates of uneaten carrot cake, LOL.

This being our 10th cruise on Carnival, we much prefer the old menus, and we told the maitre' d as much when he came around. He did seem genuinely interested and told us that in his own informal, unofficial polling that only 20% of the guests were in favor of the new menus.

We had great service (after the first night) and requested our waiter's section every night. They seemed to be working very hard and scurrying around more than usual--partly because it's all new, I'm sure, but there was more to it than that--and dinner took way too long. I don't like to devote 2 hours to dinner, even on elegant night.

Also, we were never just served anything without ordering it--so maybe that has been adjusted or is being adjusted as they go. We were always offered a dessert menu and selected the dessert even on elegant nights.

There were things I liked--but what I liked had also been on the old menu--Chateaubriand, prime rib, lobster bisque. Wish I had tried the s'mores parfait. We were very sorry to see that bitter and blanc, Grand Marnier souffle, and Baked Alaska are gone from these new menus. As usual, I couldn't get DH to order anything other than WCMC for dessert, LOL.

At any rate, we didn't go hungry. I'm just saying there is room for improvement in our opinion. Change is okay, but not change just for the sake of change. We did think the tables looked fine and liked the water carafes on the table for the American Table nights.

I'm sure there will be a wide range of opinions on the new menus, and things will vary from week to week just like at any restaurant. Speaking of which, our waiter used the term "restaurant" instead of dining room, as in "Welcome to the restaurant" when he greeted us each evening--not that that means anything in particular, but I just noticed his terminology.

We sail in a week and I am very nervous about these new menus. Not for me, but my husband is a very picky eater and I hope that he will be able to find things he likes. It took me a long time to convince him to cruise, and now that he likes it and ahs definately enjoyed the food, I hope the change doesn't turn him off to cruising. Won't make any difference to me, as I never have a problem finding something I like, and I absolutely love to cruise. Look forward to getting out of the snow every winter. Thanks for your opinions on the new menus and can't wait to be trying them out for myself!