Is this price reduction normal?

Dave4120

Hello...My wife and I will be cruising on the Explorer, March 29th to the Bahama's. When we first booked the cruise, it was $649 per per person for a Promenade stateroom, before taxes, for 7 nights.

Since the first deposit, this cruise price has dropped 3 times, and, it is now $422.00 per person before taxes. This comes out to about $60 per day per person.

The week prior, there is an 8 night cruise to the Bahama's, and the price for that is $909 per person for the same stateroom, or, about $114 per day per person.

Just seemed like a very big difference. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. Maybe the week prior is higher because of a possible Spring Break week for some.

If it's because the week we are going is a slow week, it caught me by surprise on how that week could be that slow, while the weeks before and after our week are so much more expensive. Not complaining at all. Just trying to understand how price increases and decreases work.

Thanks for your help.

The price change does not seem abnormal to me. It's all about supply and demand, and that category on that cruise is not selling as well as they would like. Other categories on the same cruise might go up in price.

Edited by clarea

Yes, it is normal if the cabins are not selling as well as the "computer program" expects. If you have not reached the final payment date yet, call up NOW and tell them to adjust the price for you. Another option is to use the lower prices to upgrade.

Thank-you for the information. I did contact them, and, we have received the price reduction. It seems like all of the categories have been reduced, PLUS, if you live in New York State as we do, there is also a residency discount.

Thank-you for the information. I did contact them, and, we have received the price reduction. It seems like all of the categories have been reduced, PLUS, if you live in New York State as we do, there is also a residency discount.

Your lucky day! Enjoy it, for may of us, a price drop before final payment date is rare.

Hello...My wife and I will be cruising on the Explorer, March 29th to the Bahama's. When we first booked the cruise, it was $649 per per person for a Promenade stateroom, before taxes, for 7 nights.

Since the first deposit, this cruise price has dropped 3 times, and, it is now $422.00 per person before taxes. This comes out to about $60 per day per person.

The week prior, there is an 8 night cruise to the Bahama's, and the price for that is $909 per person for the same stateroom, or, about $114 per day per person.

Just seemed like a very big difference. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. Maybe the week prior is higher because of a possible Spring Break week for some.

If it's because the week we are going is a slow week, it caught me by surprise on how that week could be that slow, while the weeks before and after our week are so much more expensive. Not complaining at all. Just trying to understand how price increases and decreases work.

Thanks for your help.

I have been tracking the navigator out of Galveston for my oct cruise it has said 389 all the way through till you pick your stateroom and then it say 459 my point is just make sure you go the entire way when checking prices short of booking of course . has been that way sense the update . good luck and happy cruising

Thanks for the help and insight on the pricing showing one price, and, ending up being another. We are all set. We have our confirmation and got the $422 per person price. It does include a $67 per person New York State residency discount to bring it down to $422 each, but I guess we are very fortunate. We'll end up spending what we saved anyway, but, at least we'll have that savings to spend it the whatever way we choose.

This is the first time it has ever dropped for us. Maybe because so many people have been on the Explorer so many times out of New Jersey, they are waiting until the Quantum arrives. Just guessing. Still excited for the luck. Good luck with your cruise pricing.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure what is normal but on the Jewel of the Seas last Feb. we upgraded

from a Promenade to a balcony for under $50 , but on our Celebrity cruise to Alaska we already had a balcony and the prices once again went way down but they would not let us upgrade to the cheaper suite because it was

"..this promotion is for new bookings only at that price. "

There is no "normal", either for the actual dollars involved or which dates will end up with the greatest reductions. It is all driven by supply and demand, just like airplane seats. I have seen sailings where inside cabins were going for more than 130% of balcony rooms :confused:.

You now have even more reason to enjoy the cruise.

We signed up for a New England cruise on the Explorer on Aug 28th about 6 months ago.... With a couple of price reductions we got a JS for $1424. (All prices are Per Person) I keep checking the prices and the current price for a JS is $3429. Most surprising of all is that the Grand Suite is also going for $3429.... SAME PRICE... :eek:

Thanks for your help.

I'm on the same itinerary on explorer in a few weeks. I paid $349/pp for an inside guarantee, and I think the promenade cabins were going for about the same price as yours are now when I got that price drop! It's definitely possible. Balcony cabins on my cruise were going for like $599/pp at the lowest, maybe even lower for a resident discount. Congrats on your price drop!

I will be on the Explorer the week before you and like others have said the price fluctuates based on supply and demand. We're in a balcony cabin and when I was first looking at the cruise it was 800ish per person and one day it dropped to about 500 per person out of nowhere (so we booked!), now it's 1500 and until a couple weeks ago no balcony cabins were showing as available.

Too bad there's not a way to predict these things.