Pre/post stays - book through river cruise line or not?

Ship's Wake

We do our own...need to save money. Got the Movenpick on Priceline for $85 US....they even accommodated my request for a waterfront view room on a top floor. And the Avalon meeting place was at the Movenpick. No big deal walking to the train, we took the train from the airport as well.

Rented an apt in Paris for $130 US per night, the owner is a retired professor from the Sorbonne and we hired her to be our tour guide the whole time we were there. $100 E per day...all day long, whatever we wanted to do.

Our first river cruise we did the hotels pre and post thru the cruiseline, because it was so convenient and all inclusive, but we are still working and need to save money. The money we saved doing it on our own helps to pay for another vacation.

• 5 months later...

We have booked/paid for our first river cruise for next summers Rhine Getaway Cruise ( with a possible extension in Lucerne.) I am wondering how long it takes to get from Lucerne to the Zurich airport. It looks like all flight options for us leave around 7:00AM. I'm not planning to get air thru Viking due to FF air miles. Does Viking offer a transfer (for a fee) or are we really on our own to get to our flight even tho we booked Lucerne with them???? Any advice is appreciated:)

Thanks!!