Tuxedo'a again!!

newyorkray

I know this has been a much discussed topic sine I first cruised Celebrity on my honeymoon in 1995. I had bought a tux for my wedding and my brother's wedding. I have brought it on all of my many Celebrity cruises over the years. We enjoy getting dressed up after a day in flip flops and tees. My question- what percentage of guests wear a tux on formal nights these days? Back in 1995 I'd day 50% tux and 30% business suits. It has been decreasing since. On the Reflection last January it was about 10% tux and 40% suits (the rest casual) I'm going on the Reflection again this January. Should I cart my tux from NY to Fl, just bring a suit or just a sport jacket. I've got my money's worth out of the Tux, 10 cruises and a couple of New Years Eve but it still fits!!! Should I retire it!!

Where whichever you want. Since you have been on Celebrity recently I think you are pretty up to date....enough to feel confident in whatever choice you make.

I couldn't convince my DH to cruise in the 90's because there "was no way I'm getting dressed up on holiday". But back then he wore a suit, tie and spit shined shoes to work every day.

Now, he works mostly from a home office and he actually bought a tux for cruising a couple years ago. I think he enjoys getting dressed up more than I do.

Is there a difference between behaviour in Europe (esp. Mediterranean) and the US? This is what I noted in my blog on our last Celebrity cruise, 11 nights Rome - Istanbul & back, in 2009:

The dress code was pretty well observed – I would say there was a small majority of men in dinner suits, with almost all the remainder wearing business suits; there were very few men not wearing one or the other.

So in 2009 on Solstice I thought it was about 50-55% business suits, 40-45% dinner jackets/tuxedos, and <5% 'other'.

Edited by tom_uk

After removing a large number of posts that do not conform with Cruise Critic's Posting Guidelines, this thread is closed.

Please take the time to review our guidelines before posting.

Thanks.

Edited by Host Walt