Bartering with Locals

Dcoy

This is my first cruise to any South Pacific islands. Can you barter with the locals for items they're selling similar to what is done in the Caribbean? I don't want to look like a fool. :eek:

I'm not cheap (well maybe a little) and I know they need to make a living.

I'm looking forward to visiting this area of he world.

Don

What your mentioning probably isn't bartering, if it is what are you going to exchange so no cash changes hands?

You probably meant talking them down on price.

By custom this would be considered rude in French Polynesia though the younger generation is more 'open' to bot be offended.

If the vendor looks over 30 I wouldn't so it.

A tiny bit of added advice. Polynesians usually give more than what's openly on the table. The majority of the time we have paid the price and not haggle the vendor has always added something extra at no additional charge, of course at their option, don't ask for it.

If you don't like the price continue down the row of vendors, sometimes the vendor will offer a better price to keep you at their table but don't ask for it, let them offer id they so choose.

Polynesian people are very giving and loving, do as you wish but I wouldn't haggle at all ;)

What your mentioning probably isn't bartering, if it is what are you going to exchange so no cash changes hands?

You probably meant talking them down on price.

By custom this would be considered rude in French Polynesia though the younger generation is more 'open' to bot be offended.

If the vendor looks over 30 I wouldn't so it.

A tiny bit of added advice. Polynesians usually give more than what's openly on the table. The majority of the time we have paid the price and not haggle the vendor has always added something extra at no additional charge, of course at their option, don't ask for it.

If you don't like the price continue down the row of vendors, sometimes the vendor will offer a better price to keep you at their table but don't ask for it, let them offer id they so choose.

Polynesian people are very giving and loving, do as you wish but I wouldn't haggle at all ;)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, haggling is what I was referring to. This is why I asked the question. I do not want to offend anyone.

Don

Laurie ........... I humbly disagree, you might want to go read up on Polynesian customs. That is not to say that it isn't done, just that it isn't part of their culture, you would never see a local haggle with another local, it just isn't done. In my 20 years (18 trips) to Polynesia I've had lots of opportunity to talk to the locals. We actually have several Polynesian friends there now and have sat at many of their dinner tables talking about customs and such, it isn't part of the culture to haggle.

As mentioned the younger generation is now becoming more westernized and along with that comes a breaking of some of their traditions and IMO it's very sad. Still to this day you can read on the local tourism site that tipping is not expected but that is slowly changing as well, at least for the younger generation. I have never tipped though I do know some who do. As I mentioned it's a generational thing so if the person is older than 30 I just wouldn't want to offend.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I don't need to read up on it, it was the locals who started wheeling and dealing, not us. I generally don't haggle because I don't like it, but when I put something down and start to walk away and the price drops, I certainly will take advantage of it.

Not going to get into a feud on this subject .........

Did you read what I said in my opening write up?

"If you don't like the price continue down the row of vendors, sometimes the vendor will offer a better price to keep you at their table but don't ask for it, let them offer if they so choose"

I have nothing further to say on this subject, have a great day

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I recently bought a few things and agree with Tiki and Laurie. We didn't have people propose lower prices, but at one point a person did take a lower price and I honestly can't remember how that happened. I later went back to buy two more items from her.....I did not want the attachment and tried to negotiate out of them, but they were not detachable. She gave me the items at the previous price and I felt terrible!! I gave her the money, but I did not feel good about the transaction. I had only brought the amount I thought it would be for the part I wanted and it was the end of the day. As Tiki said, Polynesians are 'nice' to the core..........or at least that was our experience. I will never look at my 'stuff' without thinking of that quality and feeling guilty for not bringing more of my money to the transaction because in the end, it was the seller who did the bending and it didn't feel like I got a 'deal'. :o These were trinket purchases, not big dollars or xpf, but nonetheless......it goes into the artisan's hands and while the islands are expensive, most people who live there do not make much money yet are the one's you meet and share time with or are talking to. When buying a pareo on Raiatea it was put in a woven holder along with a woven bookmark. Those are the simple, but courteous add on's of transactions. Heck, even sharing fruit happened at the outdoor market. Please don't haggle over prices......it is not part of the culture you are visiting.

Still to this day you can read on the local tourism site that tipping is not expected but that is slowly changing as well, at least for the younger generation. I have never tipped though I do know some who do

I have also read that it is not the custom to tip in French Polynesia. We are taking a cruise there in January and was wondering if this includes the tour guides as well.

Thanks for your help.

We gave a tip to the person who did most of the work at the location we stayed. We did not leave the money in the room as that could be seen as 'forgotten change' since tipping is not the norm. Rather, we went to her and told her how much we appreciated her work and presence during our stay. She said no at first, to which we said......please take this.

She was very grateful (and appropriate) While it is not common, do not think it won't be appreciated if done one to one and not just left somewhere. Also, we used discretion as this was meant to be a small gift to her specifically.

Didn't do many tours but did not notice any tipping on the one we did. Again, I'd say discretion is part of the picture and if you received services you value, then you can certainly 'give a gift' to that person. It is not expected, nor common.

Edited by thyme2go