sand fleas in Roaton and Belize

gay head

I am going on the Magic on December 28 and I have been reading these posts about the sand fleas, and to bring insect repellent.Do they mean deep woods off? Can you buy a repellent on the islands that is better? Is it better not to go to the beach if you dont want to be bitten? I live in Hiouston and have spent my life avoiding mosquitos.I did not know this was such a problem whrn I booked this trip.

Any Deet product will work. Some cruisers swear by other lotions but it's really dependent upon your skin type, how suseptible you are to insect bites and time of day. I've heard of people being "eaten alive" but others at the same beach same day same time, same party, didn't get a single bite. These aren't sand "fleas" they are sand "flies" and typically hang around shady spots. Most beaches rake their beaches daily, especailly on the West Bay and at Mahongany Bay. But best safe than sorry.

We have never ran into the no-see-ums or flies in Roatan or Belize, but we did have an issue with them once in Costa Maya. Deep woods worked just fine. We always take it with us now just in case...but haven't ever used it since buying it now (figures). :rolleyes: