Amalfi, Italy

gazzagirl

Hi hope someone can help. Our cruise stops at the amalfi coast on our last day and we only have 7 hours in port. Our choices are stay and enjoy amalfi for the day or do a shore excursion. Two choices one is Ravello & Amalfi with aperitif at hotel Caruso, which is a bus tour and stop and the other is amalfi coast and Positano by motorlaunch. Any information would be very helpful as this is our first time going to Italy and cruising. Thank you very much.

Either of these is absurdly easy to do on your own from Amalfi. There are ferries you can take from Amalfi to Positano and back, or the bus, or a taxi. Ravello is inland and up on the cliff so it's either a bus or taxi, or walking. I've never climbed up to Ravello but I have walked down on the path from Ravello to Amalfi. The views are amazing and it's an interesting and different perspective on the area, if you're up for it.

Ok so we can walk up there, we are walkers and very active so that is good. I was just worried about the time having only 7 hours in port. I read that the traffic is horrendous in amalfi so we were worried about going on our own. My guide book the rick stevens says its worth doing a shore excusion so you don't miss the ship getting back. Just trying to make the most of our time.

Seven hours is longer than you think when you don't have far to travel and the places you are seeing are mostly about views, food, and shopping.

The tourist office at Amalfi can give you a map of the walk up to Ravello - keep in mind that's its almost entirely steps as you are traveling from sea level to 1,000 foot altitude. If you'd like to read more about it ahead of your trip there are a couple of good Amalfi hiking books available on Amazon. You can also google it and find dozens of blog entries from folks who have done it.

It's safe enough, though you should always be aware that pickpocketing is an art form in Europe and take precautions.

The train is a local commuter train, more like an above ground subway, called the Circumvesuviana. You can see the timetable here: http://www.eavcampania.it/web/sites/default/files/ftp_orari_ferroviario/Orario%20Napoli%20Sorrento%20senza%20Pozzano%20e%20Scraio%20e%20viceversa.pdf

The Pompei stop is across the street from the Villa Misteri entrance to the ruins. You can see a general map of Pompei showing you the train station and entrance to the ruins here: http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf. The Circumvesuviana station is in quadrant 1C.

A map of the ruins is here: http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mappa_scavi.pdf

Note that in some cases the entrance is called Villa Misteri (the street name) and in other places it's called Porta Marina. Same place.