Attending Serenade for a wedding - what else to expect?

lacey4au

We're (29 and turning 30 couple from DC) boarding Serenade of the Seas in a week for a friend's wedding. To be honest, my first cruise experience (Carnival) was absolutely awful, and I have been pretty apprehensive about the whole idea. As of late, though, the idea of getting somewhere warm in January is becoming more appealing, so I'm looking forward to it more and more.

Question: What are your recommendations for late 20s/early 30s folks on this ship? At Falmouth, Georgetown and Cozumel?

Do you have ANY idea what a mid-day wedding is like ON a cruise ship on a day at sea?

Any idea where we can find the day-by-day itinerary and activities in advance?

Does it matter if we hand-carry or check our 2 bottles of wine?

Stats:

We'll be celebrating a big bday during our Cozumel stop, but don't have to do anything crazy -- any suggestions about asking for something special on the ship? I already put it in my comments for cruise docs.

We love food (can be simple or fancy, as long as the quality is there).

We are active (running, or whatever else you may suggest?).

We can shop, but don't like just getting stuff for the sake of it. Not in search of diamonds, etc. More likely to pick up a <$25 handmade necklace or painted plate.

We don't like tourist traps.

We do drink.

We don't have kids, we do enjoy them, but would like to escape them every once in awhile.

Due to the military taking FOREVER to process my leave paperwork, the last thing we could afford is an interior room on deck 4... thanks especially for any ideas of how to improve this situation and maximize enjoyment. Good thing we like each other!

Thanks in advance!

No suggestions for you but you are one that responded to my thread about the Auburn game. We are on the same cruise!. Don't know if you saw where I got a response from the cruise director of our ship that they are showing the game on our cruise! Yeah only 1 week left maybe see you on board! We'll be wearing our Auburn gear! :)

...they are showing the game on our cruise! Yeah only 1 week left maybe see you on board! We'll be wearing our Auburn gear! :)

Excellent! I think we can survive the whole thing even if I have to break up a fight outside the room every nigjt between 1 and 3am like our Carnival Experience.

War Eagle!

We also are from the DC area, but spend the winter in Florida coming down the middle of December - after having THREE snowstorms that early this year, we were ready to make the transition. I'll address a few of your questions.

>Does it matter if we hand-carry or check our 2 bottles of wine?

We hand carry, figuring that they are less likely to break with us than giving them to the porters to stack under ten other bags. I assume that you are aware that if you take a bottle to the dining room there is a corkage fee ($25 I think); no charge to have and consume it in your room (and your room steward will provide wine glasses). Note that if it is not obvious that you are traveling with the person next to you I've never seen them question one person who was carrying two bottles, so pretty much each person can bring two bottles even though the rule is two bottles per cabin.

>We are active (running, or whatever else you may suggest?).

If you are going to use the jogging track on the ship do it early. Not only is the weather nicer for running, but as soon as the sunbathers are out, they start moving the loungers and pretty soon they are in the middle of the track. I assume that you know that all RCI ships have rock climbing walls.

Serenade (Radiance class) has lots of places to enjoy looking at the sea. We basically use our room to sleep and change clothes and often take insides; when we have had a balcony we have used it very little preferring to be out and about (but some people would refuse to sail if they didn't have a balcony). Enjoy the ship and don't worry about the room. I didn't realize that RCI had weddings at sea; however checking I now know that they do. Enjoy your cruise!

Thom

The Serenade is a beautiful ship, with enough activities on board to keep an active couple busy. We're doing the same itinerary in March, and from my research, Falmouth is one of those ports where you should probably book an excursion either through RCI or a private tour operator. Check the ports board on CC for ideas and recommendations. Grand Cayman is a wonderful port. For a first time visitor there, I always recommend going to Stingray City. You can book it either through RCI, or what we did was just get off the ship/tender and booked with a tour operator right at the pier. It was a very fun day. Cozumel, for me, is always a beach day. We're going to Paradise Beach this trip, and then maybe a little silver shopping and some margaritas;)

You picked a great location for your IN cabin. Deck 4 is where the Centrum Lobby is, and you can use your cabin for sleeping/changing, etc., and use the Centrum as your living space. The Promenade deck is one flight up on Deck 5, and you can grab a lounge chair and watch the ocean go by. Have a wonderful cruise!

You will love the Serenade, she is beautiful ship. They have a wonderful fitness center with treadmills, they do have special classes $, and as someone mentioned a jogging track.

Great aerial shows at night. You would need to find a Cruise Compass for the same itinerary you are on as she recently returned from Europe and that is the only one I have.

For your special birthday, I would book Giovanni’s Table, a great Italian specialty restaurant (there is fee that includes the tip either $25 or $30 pp); we just at there on that ship in October and it was delicious. There is also a steak place, Chops. IMHO, if you are planning to be drinking while in Cozumel find another date for your birthday dinner. my suggestion for a 30 yo is the Cozumel Bar Hop - highly rated on cruise critic and tripadvisor). I've done it three other times and no you don't have to drink that much, its good for anyone, even non drinkers. Book this privately as you'll get the best rate. You will go with a group either in a VAN or Bus. They will take you to the far side of the island, which is gorgeous and make stops at 4 resturants/bar. you will get a free drink at each and you can order more and pay on your own. One of the stops is on a high hill overlooking cliffs. beautiful. We usually will get something to eat at that stop. You get to see the whole island. Only once did we include a swim. There are all inclusive beach areas you can also opt for. The private resorts I think you would enjoy more for your age and that all drinks and food are included Nachi cocom is great. check the cruise critic destinations to read more.

So if you chose something like that, I wouldn't recommend having an intimate pay restaurant that night. So maybe do your special birthday dinner the night before Cozumel.

I also recommend Stringray City with captain marvin in Grand Cayman. Falmouth either enjoy the ship by yourself as many people do get off, or do an excursion. do not walk around beyond the port shops on your own.

For Gran Cayman stingray city is great. We booked a ship tour that did stingray city, the turtle farm and Hell it was great.

In Cozumel we went swimming with dolphins at Chankanaab Park. We booked directly with them (cheaper than with the ship) and it's only a short cab ride away and there is a beach where you can stay as long as you want. Then take a cab back to the ship.

In Falmouth we took the ship excursion to Dunn River falls, it's great fun you get to walk up the falls , just wear anti slip shoes and of course a swimsuit.

We always take an inside cabin as we only use it to change clothes and sleep.