Russian River Cruise August 2015

Buck1949

Bill - no problem taking pictures in the Moscow subway stations. I took lots and so were lots of other tourists. Didn't see any signs indicating "no photo" either. I even took a couple of surreptitious pics of interesting passengers on the subway - I say surreptitious, only because of good manners, not because it wasn't allowed. I found it interesting that people were talking on their cell phones while travelling on the subway, even though we were way underground. They seemed to get fabulous reception everywhere in Moscow, even way down on the trains.

Hi Bill sorry it took so long but I've been out of touch for awhile due to some health issues. Right now I'm not planning on any travel and have already had to cancel one trip to WDW and my China trip for 2015. I am still hoping to make Black Sea trip in June, but we'll have to wait and see. We're still thawing out here on LI....but most of snow is gone and last storm fizzled out so we didn't get any more. You'll be singing a different tune in August when we're cooled by the ocean breeze and you're sweltering in the AZ oven!!! :D

I am heartbroken over Kiev.....it was such a beautiful city and to see Independence Square where we had so much fun all torn up and destroyed is very depressing. I read that Vantage is cancelling it's Kiev pre-trip and I would imagine most other companies are as well. The hotel we stayed in in Kiev is on St. Michael's Square and across from the main police station. I have seen it too many times in news coverage....I think it will be a long time before anyone goes to Ukraine and I'm watching demonstrations in Moscow closely. I'm beginning to take this personally....we went to Egypt and soon after we left the Arab Spring began....then we went to Ukraine and Russia and now that is erupting....I think I should stay home, I'd hate to be blamed for WW3!

Oh No, I am certainly sorry to hear that health issues have hit you. That is tough enough - then to have to set aside planned vacations, that is not fun either. I hope things work out for the best for you soon. ( who ever said the Golden years is GOLDEN - I think lied !)

While we have no plans to visit the Ukraine, it is terrible to see what is happening there. And I am sure for you to see that happening where you had visited is even more disheartening.

And on the weather, you are so right - summer here will be miserable (I've lived here for 50 years and have HATED every single summer we have had here. Why do I stay.......well as I write this it is 75 degrees with a high projected to be 79-80. So for the 4 to 5 months of misery, we make it up with 7 of bliss..... As I sit here in my shorts and t shirt having an iced tea :p

Take care - and all the best!!!

Bill - no problem taking pictures in the Moscow subway stations. I took lots and so were lots of other tourists. Didn't see any signs indicating "no photo" either. I even took a couple of surreptitious pics of interesting passengers on the subway - I say surreptitious, only because of good manners, not because it wasn't allowed. I found it interesting that people were talking on their cell phones while travelling on the subway, even though we were way underground. They seemed to get fabulous reception everywhere in Moscow, even way down on the trains.

That is good to hear.... I'm not sure why the restriction in St. Petersburg, but hope to get lots of photos myself this time.

id4elizabeth,

One thing that we were told (very specifically by our tour guide) while in the St. Petersburg subway system was that we could not take any photographs. Was that an issue in Moscow?

I did manage to find a very nice power point presentation about St. Petersburg that had some great photos that I was able to use.

Thanks to everyone for any and all suggestions...... I am making notes and putting them in my Cruise file for later.

Thanks Bill, I have decide between having spinal surgery or not and I change my mind every 5 minutes. But enough about that!

Many places require a permit to take photographs and the permit costs about 100 rubles ($3). I purchased the permit because it was cheap and I didn't like the idea of sneaking pictures in a country like Russia! I took many photos in the Moscow subway and don't understand why they wouldn't allow them in St. P, but since I didn't use subway there, don't know. Your TM will tell you before you enter each place if you can or cannot take pictures and whether or not you need a permit. I was actually amazed at being allowed to take pictures inside Hermitage and palaces. Here and in most of Europe you cannot photograph paintings or furniture because of the damage. Only place where photos were forbidden is in the Amber Room, and I don't know why, just that it is not allowed in that room.

Only warnings we had in Russia about photography were the following:

be careful photographing people, especially older ones, because they tend to be suspicious of foreigners. Always ask if you want to take a picture.

Thanks Bill, I have decide between having spinal surgery or not and I change my mind every 5 minutes. But enough about that!

Many places require a permit to take photographs and the permit costs about 100 rubles ($3). I purchased the permit because it was cheap and I didn't like the idea of sneaking pictures in a country like Russia! I took many photos in the Moscow subway and don't understand why they wouldn't allow them in St. P, but since I didn't use subway there, don't know. Your TM will tell you before you enter each place if you can or cannot take pictures and whether or not you need a permit. I was actually amazed at being allowed to take pictures inside Hermitage and palaces. Here and in most of Europe you cannot photograph paintings or furniture because of the damage. Only place where photos were forbidden is in the Amber Room, and I don't know why, just that it is not allowed in that room.

Only warnings we had in Russia about photography were the following:

be careful photographing people, especially older ones, because they tend to be suspicious of foreigners. Always ask if you want to take a picture.

Ouch on the spinal surgery....... Hopefully what ever you decide will help get you back on track...and able to do some more of those cruises! My wife has had some back issues, but thankfully with 3 or 4 epidurals, and therapy along with some meds....things have settled down for her.

That is the first I have ever heard of having permits to take photos...... and find that very interesting. But being Russia it should not surprise me I guess. Do the permits cover certain areas, or time spans or both?

Take care,

Ouch on the spinal surgery....... Hopefully what ever you decide will help get you back on track...and able to do some more of those cruises! My wife has had some back issues, but thankfully with 3 or 4 epidurals, and therapy along with some meds....things have settled down for her.

That is the first I have ever heard of having permits to take photos...... and find that very interesting. But being Russia it should not surprise me I guess. Do the permits cover certain areas, or time spans or both?

Take care,

Bill, some of the entrance fees do include a "permit" for taking photos. A small sticker is provided and you wear it on your clothes. We did visit a couple small churches in the smaller towns that sold permits at the entrance.

They will sell them when you get your entrance ticket and are usually good for that visit only. Sometimes it's not a ticket at all but a sticker that they put on your camera. The photo permits are usually very inexpensive and well worth the cost. If your tour guide has to stand in a line to get your entrance ticket, ask him/her to get your photo permit at the same time so you don't have to stand in line to get one.

They don't let you take pictures in the Amber Room for two reasons - one is deterioration of the amber by flash and the other is that it's a bit of a choke point in the flow of people traffic. If they let you take pictures, they'd never get everyone through. It was the only spot in the Palace that was crowded when we were there, but it was shoulder to shoulder in the Amber Room.

Another thought that occurs to me is that at many "sights"or towns you will find sellers of booklets that are usually 30 or so pages with info about the sights or the town. They are usually heavily laden with pictures, pretty good quality. They aren't that expensive, and are nice souvenirs of the places you've been. I wish we had bought more of these, as they are only available in Russia - not on Amazon. One good one we did get was entitled Russian River Cruising or something like that and had pictures and descriptions of all the places we visited - about 80 pages.

They will sell them when you get your entrance ticket and are usually good for that visit only. Sometimes it's not a ticket at all but a sticker that they put on your camera. The photo permits are usually very inexpensive and well worth the cost. If your tour guide has to stand in a line to get your entrance ticket, ask him/her to get your photo permit at the same time so you don't have to stand in line to get one.

They don't let you take pictures in the Amber Room for two reasons - one is deterioration of the amber by flash and the other is that it's a bit of a choke point in the flow of people traffic. If they let you take pictures, they'd never get everyone through. It was the only spot in the Palace that was crowded when we were there, but it was shoulder to shoulder in the Amber Room.

Another thought that occurs to me is that at many "sights"or towns you will find sellers of booklets that are usually 30 or so pages with info about the sights or the town. They are usually heavily laden with pictures, pretty good quality. They aren't that expensive, and are nice souvenirs of the places you've been. I wish we had bought more of these, as they are only available in Russia - not on Amazon. One good one we did get was entitled Russian River Cruising or something like that and had pictures and descriptions of all the places we visited - about 80 pages.

Thanks for the insight....

That is great to know about having to get those special permits... I will remember to check into this with any tour guides we use.

AND

we bought some very similar book/booklets while we were on the Rhine River cruise last fall. They are convenient to look back on, and were a life saver when it came time to try and Identify historical sights that I could pronounce the names of. :)

Bill, some of the entrance fees do include a "permit" for taking photos. A small sticker is provided and you wear it on your clothes. We did visit a couple small churches in the smaller towns that sold permits at the entrance.

Thanks for the information.... I have just never had to pay extra to photograph any of the sights that we have been able to get into. That is so strange...but I guess it too is another revenue source.

Now that this topic has come up I remember we had to pay to take photographs inside the Budapest opera house. Must have been a throwback tradition to the days of Soviet rule! :) (Now I'll find out the hard way if the former KGB reads Curise Critic. hah-hah)

Take care,

Sending you an e-mail off CC.....I have some questions about your wife's back problem ad epidurals.

As to photo permit it is all inclusive....I think it's strictly an additional money maker...one of the places is the Maiden Convent in Moscow..the money is used to help preserve and repair the buildings. Usually they are good only for the day of the visit..and sometimes I was given a sticker and sometimes I wasn't. TM will (should) tell you when she buys your entrance ticket if you need a photo permit and she will buy it at the same time. I seem to recall the one I got at the Lavra was stamped. In truth nobody ever checked, but I just didn't feel right taking pictures without it. Perhaps pp can explain why subway in ST P wasn't allowed. It's true, Amber room is always packed and people taking pictures would just cause a major traffic jam. I wasn't aware of the flash damaging the amber, but I know this is why most museums and palace will allow photos but not flash.

Sending you an e-mail off CC.....I have some questions about your wife's back problem ad epidurals.

As to photo permit it is all inclusive....I think it's strictly an additional money maker...one of the places is the Maiden Convent in Moscow..the money is used to help preserve and repair the buildings. Usually they are good only for the day of the visit..and sometimes I was given a sticker and sometimes I wasn't. TM will (should) tell you when she buys your entrance ticket if you need a photo permit and she will buy it at the same time. I seem to recall the one I got at the Lavra was stamped. In truth nobody ever checked, but I just didn't feel right taking pictures without it. Perhaps pp can explain why subway in ST P wasn't allowed. It's true, Amber room is always packed and people taking pictures would just cause a major traffic jam. I wasn't aware of the flash damaging the amber, but I know this is why most museums and palace will allow photos but not flash.

One of the comments our tour guide mentioned about the St. Pete subway system is that it is still considered (he thinks) a fallout and bomb shelter, and that was the main reason for no photos. 2 things.... this was in 2009 when we were there....and who knows if that was right, or if there were some specific thing going on that kind of put the dampers on taking photos.

Anyway.... as I mentioned before, I found (actually my wife found) an absolute superb Power Point presentation of St. Petersburg online, and downloaded the entire thing which included a couple of subway photos. The photos are outstanding....far better than I could have done...especially at the time before I had a nice camera. Hopefully next trip we will do better !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.....sure has been some interesting developments in the news recently. The missing airplane, and Russia's issues with the Ukraine. Let's hope that whatever sanctions come about, that they don't affect tourism/cruising. (Ok - that is as far as I go with politics) ;)

Hydrokitty - I was wondering how you have been doing recently - hope things are coming along ok?

.....and on top of it all, our Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team flies all the way to Australia to lose an exhibition game, and 2 games to the dreaded Dodgers. Heck we could have stayed home and done that. :mad:

Wow.....sure has been some interesting developments in the news recently. The missing airplane, and Russia's issues with the Ukraine. Let's hope that whatever sanctions come about, that they don't affect tourism/cruising. (Ok - that is as far as I go with politics) ;)

Hydrokitty - I was wondering how you have been doing recently - hope things are coming along ok?

.....and on top of it all, our Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team flies all the way to Australia to lose an exhibition game, and 2 games to the dreaded Dodgers. Heck we could have stayed home and done that. :mad:

Hi Bill.I'm still here and hanging in there. Making progress, surgery is off the table for now, but I had to cancel China for now....just can't trust the physicality of that trip, booked river cruise from Amsterdam too Basel instead. At least I can walk short distances now and that's a huge improvement! Thanks for your concern. As for baseball we not only have the Mets, we also have the Giants and the Jets throw in the Knicks, Rangers and Islanders and we have losing teams in ALL the sports!:D And then there's the possibility of a major blizzard tomorrow night. Gotta love living on an island!!!!

I hope your trip to Russia isn't cancelled, but a lot can happen in a year. Only political statement I'll make is that Putin is many things, but stupid isn't one of them..I think he's going to back off a soon as their economy really goes in the tank.

Hi Bill.I'm still here and hanging in there. Making progress, surgery is off the table for now, but I had to cancel China for now....just can't trust the physicality of that trip, booked river cruise from Amsterdam too Basel instead. At least I can walk short distances now and that's a huge improvement! Thanks for your concern. As for baseball we not only have the Mets, we also have the Giants and the Jets throw in the Knicks, Rangers and Islanders and we have losing teams in ALL the sports!:D And then there's the possibility of a major blizzard tomorrow night. Gotta love living on an island!!!!

I hope your trip to Russia isn't cancelled, but a lot can happen in a year. Only political statement I'll make is that Putin is many things, but stupid isn't one of them..I think he's going to back off a soon as their economy really goes in the tank.

Glad to hear that things are improving a bit...... and of course I think you have traveled down the Rhine before....so you obviously know what to expect with the various port stops. Who did you end up booking this trip with.... Vantage, and when are you travelling?

At some point.... if things work out.... I would not mind taking the Amsterdam to Budapest trip via the Danube...that should be a nice trip.

As to sports... you have plenty...and heck we are a 4 sport town ourselves.... if you want to call some of our teams sports. We never seem to really get to the top.... very often.

Oh well.... good hearing from you...

Do keep in touch !

With all the current news, my husband and I reflect often that we're so glad we did our trip with Uniworld in 2012. One of the things that surprised us was how warmly we were received by everyone we met in Russia. We were on our own in St Pete for 3 days before the cruise, and were in Moscow 3 days on our own at the end. We met lots of people helping us with directions or buying things or ordering things in restaurants and everyone we met was so friendly. So many more of them than we had expected spoke English and were anxious to try their's out with us. Many of the people we had met had travelled at least once to the US which also surprised us. I'm hoping that that doesn't change for you, assuming that you are still able to go. My fear is that the Russian people may not be as open to Americans as they were, which would be a shame.

id4elizabeth, I feel the same regarding the people we have met on our travels. If the posturing of the governments does not cause our trip to Russia to be cancelled, I hope that the Russian people will know that what has been said or done is by governements and not people. I have always thought that "THOSE" people, who caused me to get under my desk, cover the back of my neck and pray they wouldn't drop their H bomb on my school, are very similar to myself and I really would like to find out in person.

id4elizabeth, I feel the same regarding the people we have met on our travels. If the posturing of the governments does not cause our trip to Russia to be cancelled, I hope that the Russian people will know that what has been said or done is by governements and not people. I have always thought that "THOSE" people, who caused me to get under my desk, cover the back of my neck and pray they wouldn't drop their H bomb on my school, are very similar to myself and I really would like to find out in person.

To both Elizabeth and Tidwood: Assuming that your trip to Russia takes off without incident....we found that the Russian people were as curious about us as we are about them. The older generation seemed a little more suspicious and stand offish. But the young people are just delightful! If they see you in the street looking at a map or a street sign don't be surprised if they stop and ask you in English if you need help. When you tell them where you want to go there's a good chance they will actually TAKE you there! And while you're walking together and the young Russian is practicing his/her English on you, they will be very open and ask you about politics, life in the USA and anything they can think of. We found them to be wonderfully warm, friendly and as curious about us as we are about them and the minute politics came up (and it will) we both discovered that many times neither of us is happy about the way our governments and/or leaders do things! :D

Glad to hear that things are improving a bit...... and of course I think you have traveled down the Rhine before....so you obviously know what to expect with the various port stops. Who did you end up booking this trip with.... Vantage, and when are you travelling?

At some point.... if things work out.... I would not mind taking the Amsterdam to Budapest trip via the Danube...that should be a nice trip.

As to sports... you have plenty...and heck we are a 4 sport town ourselves.... if you want to call some of our teams sports. We never seem to really get to the top.... very often.

Oh well.... good hearing from you...

Do keep in touch !

We did book it with Vantage for August, 2015. Amsterdam to Budapest was our first river cruise (actually we went Budapest to Amsterdam) and we went in late August. You will LOVE it. It was a wonderfully scenic trip.

Our next trip is June of this year and we're again starting in Budapest and heading for the Black Sea. Again, with Vantage because they were the only company that actually goes to Constanta on the Black Sea. It seemed the others all stop at Bucharest. We're also doing the pre-trip to Prague and Bratislava.

We did book it with Vantage for August, 2015. Amsterdam to Budapest was our first river cruise (actually we went Budapest to Amsterdam) and we went in late August. You will LOVE it. It was a wonderfully scenic trip.

Our next trip is June of this year and we're again starting in Budapest and heading for the Black Sea. Again, with Vantage because they were the only company that actually goes to Constanta on the Black Sea. It seemed the others all stop at Bucharest. We're also doing the pre-trip to Prague and Bratislava.

Wow, sounds like a couple of great trips you have planned. I am not sure I will ever do the Budapest trip, as I just have too many things I want to do for sure...... With the Panama Canal one of them. Now to get Linda interested in that trip, which right now she is not at all. We have not done any definitive planning beyond 2015. Oh and Linda has pretty well decided to take our step-granddaughter and our Daughter in Law to Paris next summer; probably before our cruise. It is a promised high school graduation gift (with good grades) from a couple of years ago.... We really thought that GD may forget about the 'casual' comment of the trip from a few years ago, bot Noooo!:eek:

Take care..

Edited by Buck1949
Add

With all the current news, my husband and I reflect often that we're so glad we did our trip with Uniworld in 2012. One of the things that surprised us was how warmly we were received by everyone we met in Russia. We were on our own in St Pete for 3 days before the cruise, and were in Moscow 3 days on our own at the end. We met lots of people helping us with directions or buying things or ordering things in restaurants and everyone we met was so friendly. So many more of them than we had expected spoke English and were anxious to try their's out with us. Many of the people we had met had travelled at least once to the US which also surprised us. I'm hoping that that doesn't change for you, assuming that you are still able to go. My fear is that the Russian people may not be as open to Americans as they were, which would be a shame.

id4elizabeth - Hydrokitty & Tidwood:

I certainly hope that things settle down soon, and this is a soon to be forgotten incident - that does not affect tourism. I'm not totally sure what the Russian people feel about the take over of part of the Ukrainian territory. Then again will the 'economic sanctions' the US, and some other countries have placed on Russia trickle down to the people/businesses that we as tourists would be in contact with.

Worse yet, I could see someone deciding to try and put travel restrictions to the the area.....while hurting that country it would also hurt us travelers too. Ok, as I have said before.... I hate talking politics. - so I'm done ;) again!!

The one nice thing that we do have to look forward to - is there are still BUNCHES of places that we want to see before our travel days come to an end, should we not make it to Russia. It's too darn bad (at least in my case) that I started traveling late in life, and will never see all of the places that I would like to.

Our goal is to see as much of Europe as possible while making long flights and spending longer periods of time away from home are not a problem. Then as we 'slow down' we intend to spend time seeing those things right here in our homeland that we have never seen.... Let's hope it all works out!

Take care all.....

Wow, sounds like a couple of great trips you have planned. I am not sure I will ever do the Budapest trip, as I just have too many things I want to do for sure...... With the Panama Canal one of them. Now to get Linda interested in that trip, which right now she is not at all. We have not done any definitive planning beyond 2015. Oh and Linda has pretty well decided to take our step-granddaughter and our Daughter in Law to Paris next summer; probably before our cruise. It is a promised high school graduation gift (with good grades) from a couple of years ago.... We really thought that GD may forget about the 'casual' comment of the trip from a few years ago, bot Noooo!:eek:

Take care..

Really Bill? You thought your GD would forget about a promised trip to Paris???? LOL..

Tell Linda Panama Canal was fantastic!! DH is a civil engineer and this trip was for him (I thought) but we went on Celebrity Infinity and it was the most relaxing (get a balcony cabin) trip I have ever done. It takes one day to do the full transit and we actually booked a shore excursion to do the transit again on a smaller boat, which I also recommend. The ports were fantastic, especially Cabo San Lucas. It's really not a boring, "engineer" type trip at all.

I agree, if only we could have started sooner to travel, but we couldn't because we had 5 kids to raise and educate and marry off first! We started with Italy, Greece, France, and Egypt because we wanted to do the really strenuous trips while we had good legs and I recommend that for you and Linda as well. You can visit museums in wheelchairs but you need to walk to see Petra, pyramids, Red Square and the Acropolis! I was a bit depressed (Ok a heckuva lot depressed) at having to cancel China and forget Africa, but then I started thinking about all the places I've been to and how DH and I are the most traveled in both of our families and like you, decided there's still more to see, I just have to make adjustments! As for Budapest, it's one of my favorite cities. I've been there more than once and never get tired of it. Another favorite trip was Holland and Belgium during tulip time. If you and Linda like tulips, it's a must see. You can actually see the tulip fields from the plane and the colors are brilliant!

Happy travels...maybe we'll meet up some day...who knows? Right?:D

Really Bill? You thought your GD would forget about a promised trip to Paris???? LOL..

Tell Linda Panama Canal was fantastic!! DH is a civil engineer and this trip was for him (I thought) but we went on Celebrity Infinity and it was the most relaxing (get a balcony cabin) trip I have ever done. It takes one day to do the full transit and we actually booked a shore excursion to do the transit again on a smaller boat, which I also recommend. The ports were fantastic, especially Cabo San Lucas. It's really not a boring, "engineer" type trip at all.

I agree, if only we could have started sooner to travel, but we couldn't because we had 5 kids to raise and educate and marry off first! We started with Italy, Greece, France, and Egypt because we wanted to do the really strenuous trips while we had good legs and I recommend that for you and Linda as well. You can visit museums in wheelchairs but you need to walk to see Petra, pyramids, Red Square and the Acropolis! I was a bit depressed (Ok a heckuva lot depressed) at having to cancel China and forget Africa, but then I started thinking about all the places I've been to and how DH and I are the most traveled in both of our families and like you, decided there's still more to see, I just have to make adjustments! As for Budapest, it's one of my favorite cities. I've been there more than once and never get tired of it. Another favorite trip was Holland and Belgium during tulip time. If you and Linda like tulips, it's a must see. You can actually see the tulip fields from the plane and the colors are brilliant!

Happy travels...maybe we'll meet up some day...who knows? Right?:D

Whew, 5 kids to raise!!!! We only had one....., but I did have aging parents that I did not want to be too far from. My father passed in 2012 at age 89 of Alzheimer's. And to top it off.....I rarely ever was able to take a vacation that lasted more than two weeks. So time to be catching up.

We make one major trip per year - generally during the summer. Ironically we like getting out of the heat of Phoenix, and do have a cabin in the Mountains at approx 6800 feet elevation that we try to spend the rest of our summers at. Add to that - owning two 'full time' Pug dogs....keeps us very occupied. I do wish we could do a bit more travel, but can't complain with our current arrangement I guess..

As one lady put in her signature line that I like to quote....

"Spending our children's inheritance - one Cruise at a time".

And yes maybe meeting on a cruise in the future could happen!!

Take care,

We would agree about the Panama Canal. We did the train trip from west to east and then a bus back to the ship. It stopped at one of the locks and you could go into an area above the lock to watch ships pass through as a guide explained the lock's operations. Then sitting on deck going under the Bridge of the America's, really impressive.

Last thing I've heard about Russia is the "Visa and Master Card" restrictions to the banking industry. Not sure if that will mean we can't use credit cards there and or can't get money from ATMs or ??? Oh, well , there are so many other places to see in this would.

We would agree about the Panama Canal. We did the train trip from west to east and then a bus back to the ship. It stopped at one of the locks and you could go into an area above the lock to watch ships pass through as a guide explained the lock's operations. Then sitting on deck going under the Bridge of the America's, really impressive.

Last thing I've heard about Russia is the "Visa and Master Card" restrictions to the banking industry. Not sure if that will mean we can't use credit cards there and or can't get money from ATMs or ??? Oh, well , there are so many other places to see in this would.

Thanks for the Panama info.....I am pretty sure I will 'convince' my wife to go but it will probably be a few years before we do it. As I mentioned, we are trying to do Europe, then move back this way.

As to Visa / MasterCard restrictions.....that would be a real bummer not to be able to use the machines/or to charge things..... And have to carry a lot of 'cash' during the trip is not the best idea either.

Well all we can do is hope things settle down soon..