Russian River Cruise August 2015

Buck1949

The tip doesn't need to be in Rubles. We gave the tip in dollars. ATMs are available in Moscow and STP, we used them successfully.

I'm curious - would this be the policy for all cruise companies, or just for the company that Tidwood is using? Guess I need to go online or contact Uniworld to confirm for ours.

OK.... I have to ask ?

What are thoughts about this trip (disregard that it is a year away) in light of the situation with the downed airliner and incidents in and around the Ukraine and Russian Territories?

I'm having some real reservations about following through with this trip....... and as I told my wife...there are 'bunches' of other places I want to see. We could always reconsider this trip in the future if things change. The US State Department has had travel advisories since June for US travels in and around Russia - No specific warnings just awareness of surroundings type advisories.

THOUGHTS PLEASE?

OK.... I have to ask ?

What are thoughts about this trip (disregard that it is a year away) in light of the situation with the downed airliner and incidents in and around the Ukraine and Russian Territories?

I'm having some real reservations about following through with this trip....... and as I told my wife...there are 'bunches' of other places I want to see. We could always reconsider this trip in the future if things change. The US State Department has had travel advisories since June for US travels in and around Russia - No specific warnings just awareness of surroundings type advisories.

THOUGHTS PLEASE?

We have had the same thoughts. Their total disregard to the situation in the Ukraine has turned us off as far as traveling to their country. Many other places to go.

Cole

This thread has gotten so long and ventured onto so many topics, my suggestion would be to start a new thread if you want feedback on this important question.

This was started specifically for my cruise next August..and is a general topic to cover every thing that may be of value regarding this or similar cruises...... and I just today noticed that so far has had OVER 15,800 views - but not a great deal of comments. I do not want to start any big issue or knee jerk reaction to what my question referred to on the general boards based on current events........

The persons that have responded to this thread already...will have an email pop up showing new activity. If someone else happens to see the thread (such as yourself) I'm hoping they will comment.

Thanks for the suggestion....but for now I think I will see how this thread plays out.

Bill,

I totally understand your concern about this cruise at this time. We SO enjoyed this cruise that I hope you can do it. Maybe hold your reservation until close to the final deposit date and evaluate the situation/warnings at that time?

Linda

Bill,

I totally understand your concern about this cruise at this time. We SO enjoyed this cruise that I hope you can do it. Maybe hold your reservation until close to the final deposit date and evaluate the situation/warnings at that time?

Linda

Linda,

We considered that....but the issue with that is .... if we wait - kind of to the last minute - we may find it difficult to find an alternative trip. (cruises will be filling or filled up, and air fare can be a pain to get decent prices that close to trip time) We for sure intend to take a river cruise next year, and have figured that if Russia does not happen next year, then maybe in the future when things are 'calmer'.

As one person said...it is disappointing that Russia has not, or it doesn't appear (publicly) that they are trying to diffuse the current situation. You would think they would try to help get access to the area for an investigation or to at least remove bodies etc. from the crash site as soon as possible, no matter who is responsible.

Just not sure !!!!

I know that we should not discuss politics on this board but very generally if certain attitues do not change very soon my tourist dollars would be spent elsewhere.

Stratheden,

Thanks for your input/thoughts !!

Although I certainly don't approve of or condone the official Russian actions, we really did enjoy this cruise. I doubt you'd get any negative feelings targeted at you by the Russian people you'd come into contact with, despite the obvious political tensions. Just as we would not negatively treat a Russian tourist that we might come into contact with here in the US.

That being said, if there are more economic sanctions against Russia, such as stopping International credit card transactions, or banking transactions (aka ATMs), your trip could become very difficult.

I kind of agree with Linda. Maybe hold on for a little while, but start investigating your alternatives and narrow that down so you're in a position to act quickly if things deteriorate.

I hope things get better for you, as this was probably our favorite trip so far.

love European river cruising but would not chose a Russian 1. current events aside some of the reviews indicate a different experience on Russian river cruises in terms of quality of accommodation and service. but each to their own. many choices out there.

current events are also troubling for many areas. we need to chose with care. some areas are not worth the hassle.

Although I certainly don't approve of or condone the official Russian actions, we really did enjoy this cruise. I doubt you'd get any negative feelings targeted at you by the Russian people you'd come into contact with, despite the obvious political tensions. Just as we would not negatively treat a Russian tourist that we might come into contact with here in the US.

That being said, if there are more economic sanctions against Russia, such as stopping International credit card transactions, or banking transactions (aka ATMs), your trip could become very difficult.

I kind of agree with Linda. Maybe hold on for a little while, but start investigating your alternatives and narrow that down so you're in a position to act quickly if things deteriorate.

I hope things get better for you, as this was probably our favorite trip so far.

Oh we would most likely do the Russian cruise at a later date. What concerns me is that when we booked our cruise last January - for August 2015, there was already one cruise next year almost totally booked - and others that had rooms filling. I just don't want to wait too long to book something different if we drop this one. Maybe look at the Budapest or Paris cruises as alternatives.

The turmoil has been going on for a few months now.... And as of now, is not looking better.

We shall see..... Thanks for your thoughts!!

Well Bill, I totally understand your thinking. We were about to book a Uniworld Nile cruise when "Arab Spring" put an end to those plans! The way the Middle East looks, that part of the world may never make it off our Bucket List.

Oh we would most likely do the Russian cruise at a later date. What concerns me is that when we booked our cruise last January - for August 2015, there was already one cruise next year almost totally booked - and others that had rooms filling. I just don't want to wait too long to book something different if we drop this one. Maybe look at the Budapest or Paris cruises as alternatives.

The turmoil has been going on for a few months now.... And as of now, is not looking better.

After booking a Po River cruise with Uniworld, we later learned that it basically was a bus ride - so we called them and they easily changed that booking to one on the Douro and it turned out to be one of our favorites. We even changed our airline reservations, but never looked back. Best decision we ever made. :D

Cole

I realize that the current discussion is regarding travel next year, but think how my wife and I are feeling with the Sunday Morning program on the tv detailing what is known about the shooting down of that passenger airliner as I write this and our departure date bding 8/1 2014! We are still looking forward to the trip, but must admit to being very concerned about what to expect (pretty sure Lufthansa will NOT fly over Unkrane air space), if Vantage does not cancel the trip!

Hi Bill: I've been thinking about your question all night long and wondering what would I do if in your shoes. I think I would wait and see, although the sensible side of my brain says things are getting worse, not better, and keep a very close watch on what ALL the cruise lines are doing. There really isn't any problem in Russia now and nobody is doing the Kiev extension these days, so I don't think I would cancel right now. You might run into a little "anti-Americanism" but I don't think it will really impact your trip. No tour company in its right mind is going to take you places where you are likely to have a bad experience and we found that most Russians recognized the difference between people and govrnments. On the other hand, in view of recent events, I would start making a Plan B. I think most cruise companies are more amenable to cancelling a trip if you're substituting another one. I know when I had to cancel China Vantage credited everything I had paid to rebooking China for Switzerland. But where would you go? Well, I notice you haven't done much on the Danube, so let's start there. I have now done the entire length of the Danube from Amsterdam to Constanta and can truthfully say Amsterdam to Budapest is better! However, if you're looking for an Eastern European experience, Budapest to Constanta was very interesting. You've been talking about Panama Canal and the full transit was a great trip....although I would pick Europe over that one too. Suggestion: Don't lock yourself into river cruising only. Some places like Greece are best done with a combination land/cruise and Trafalgar was fantastic and the only one I found (at the time) that allowed you to piggy back 10 day land trip with 7 day cruise of the islands that didn't involve spending 2-3 days in a hotel waiting for the cruise!

Good luck, I hope you make it to Russia but there's a BIG world out there and everyone on this board will have no trouble telling you where to go!!!! (couldn't help it :D)

Judy

I realize that the current discussion is regarding travel next year, but think how my wife and I are feeling with the Sunday Morning program on the tv detailing what is known about the shooting down of that passenger airliner as I write this and our departure date bding 8/1 2014! We are still looking forward to the trip, but must admit to being very concerned about what to expect (pretty sure Lufthansa will NOT fly over Unkrane air space), if Vantage does not cancel the trip!

WOW !!!!! I totally understand your feelings. I recently checked the Uniworld website to see if their were any thoughts regarding the recent situation (and the upcoming cruises) and did not find anything.

Let's hope you have a GREAT trip, and hope that their are no issues with your cruise. Would love to hear your thoughts/observations when you return. 👍

Hi Bill: I've been thinking about your question all night long and wondering what would I do if in your shoes............

Good luck, I hope you make it to Russia but there's a BIG world out there and everyone on this board will have no trouble telling you where to go!!!! (couldn't help it :D)

Judy

Hi Judy.... I appreciate your thoughts.... And am sure I will get more people telling me where to go !!! :p

Here are some of the things that my wife and I have chatted about... both currently and in past.

I am NOT a bus tour(er) person.... I am a very Big guy.... grin and along with 2 knee replacements, sitting for hours at a time on a bus to do land tours is not going to happen with me. My wife has taken a bunch of bus tours in Europe with Trafalgar (without me) and loved them...and yep she is much more of a land tour(er) herself and much less of a cruiser.

I don't mind the short excursions into towns via buses, but just will not spend days at a time travelling on them. Linda does not like the big ships at all...as she says they all offer the same thing - same kinds of entertainment, same kinds of restaurants, same sales pitches for art, photos, jewelry specials and constant music at every turn on the ship - and never seem to go where she wants to go. Plus she is Not a fan at all of the open ocean/sea atmosphere.

I love cruises of all kinds...and realize that big cruise ships do not offer the chance to get to the interior of the various countries. Sooooo a bit of a compromise for us both...is to do the River Cruises that are out there....that way being able to see a lot of the interior of the countries, for the most part staying off the big bodies of water....while at the same time satisfying my desire to cruise.

Okay, now that being said...we also would like to try to do Europe as much as possible before we get to the point that the long flights/hours get the best of us. We have a possible option this time should we decide to forgo Russia. We have both spoken about doing the Paris/Normandy cruise. Next summer Linda is taking our 18 year old Granddaughter and our daughter-in-law (not me) on a week long trip to Paris that was a promised High School Graduation and 18 year old birthday gift. We did an Alaska cruise for our 2 other Granddaughters as our gifts for the same goals. (interestingly, the Paris trip was just a casual conversation a few years ago...when my wife popped up and casually said to our Granddaughter - I need to take you to Paris with me some time). This turned into the Grad gift.

Now....something we may be able to accomplish, and this is strictly a thought at this point, is to have her go to Paris with the GD and D.in law...and then I meet up with her over there and we then go on the Paris / Normandy cruise. That certainly is a viable option. (Linda was going to do the Paris trip...come home then later we were going to fly to Russia)..this will save some airfare etc.

As to the Panama...... that is on the 'possible' list for 2016 as we have had a number of people (neighbors, friends, fellow cruisers) that have said they would like to make that cruise. Since most cruises leave from either California or the Florida area these are pretty easy for us to reach. One additional thing (shy of the expense involved etc) is that we are both retired....and have the ability to go most any time of the year...and for a couple of weeks if it turns out that way.

We do intend to try to do the Danube trips (Budapest -Prague, or other location) in the future also..... we did get to see the Danube during our trip to Regensburg...in fact got to have a Bratwurst at the famous restaurant on the banks of the Danube.

We do have another person and her daughter that has booked the Russian cruise along with us...and we have had a very preliminary chat regarding our most recent concerns....so that is a point we need to consider in all this. Oh well... we will probably begin making some decisions within the next couple of weeks whether to change out..... or hold on to see the situation.

I just don't want to wait too long since finding decent cruises, dates, cabin availability will become more and more challenging.

Hi Judy.... I appreciate your thoughts.... And am sure I will get more people telling me where to go !!! :p

Here are some of the things that my wife and I have chatted about... both currently and in past.

I am NOT a bus tour(er) person.... I am a very Big guy.... grin and along with 2 knee replacements, sitting for hours at a time on a bus to do land tours is not going to happen with me. My wife has taken a bunch of bus tours in Europe with Trafalgar (without me) and loved them...and yep she is much more of a land tour(er) herself and much less of a cruiser.

I don't mind the short excursions into towns via buses, but just will not spend days at a time travelling on them. Linda does not like the big ships at all...as she says they all offer the same thing - same kinds of entertainment, same kinds of restaurants, same sales pitches for art, photos, jewelry specials and constant music at every turn on the ship - and never seem to go where she wants to go. Plus she is Not a fan at all of the open ocean/sea atmosphere.

I love cruises of all kinds...and realize that big cruise ships do not offer the chance to get to the interior of the various countries. Sooooo a bit of a compromise for us both...is to do the River Cruises that are out there....that way being able to see a lot of the interior of the countries, for the most part staying off the big bodies of water....while at the same time satisfying my desire to cruise.

Okay, now that being said...we also would like to try to do Europe as much as possible before we get to the point that the long flights/hours get the best of us. We have a possible option this time should we decide to forgo Russia. We have both spoken about doing the Paris/Normandy cruise. Next summer Linda is taking our 18 year old Granddaughter and our daughter-in-law (not me) on a week long trip to Paris that was a promised High School Graduation and 18 year old birthday gift. We did an Alaska cruise for our 2 other Granddaughters as our gifts for the same goals. (interestingly, the Paris trip was just a casual conversation a few years ago...when my wife popped up and casually said to our Granddaughter - I need to take you to Paris with me some time). This turned into the Grad gift.

Now....something we may be able to accomplish, and this is strictly a thought at this point, is to have her go to Paris with the GD and D.in law...and then I meet up with her over there and we then go on the Paris / Normandy cruise. That certainly is a viable option. (Linda was going to do the Paris trip...come home then later we were going to fly to Russia)..this will save some airfare etc.

As to the Panama...... that is on the 'possible' list for 2016 as we have had a number of people (neighbors, friends, fellow cruisers) that have said they would like to make that cruise. Since most cruises leave from either California or the Florida area these are pretty easy for us to reach. One additional thing (shy of the expense involved etc) is that we are both retired....and have the ability to go most any time of the year...and for a couple of weeks if it turns out that way.

We do intend to try to do the Danube trips (Budapest -Prague, or other location) in the future also..... we did get to see the Danube during our trip to Regensburg...in fact got to have a Bratwurst at the famous restaurant on the banks of the Danube.

We do have another person and her daughter that has booked the Russian cruise along with us...and we have had a very preliminary chat regarding our most recent concerns....so that is a point we need to consider in all this. Oh well... we will probably begin making some decisions within the next couple of weeks whether to change out..... or hold on to see the situation.

I just don't want to wait too long since finding decent cruises, dates, cabin availability will become more and more challenging.

Bill, I hear you o the bus tours! DH and I did France with Trafalgar after we did Greece because we liked them so much, but to be perfectly honest, we have not done a bus tour since France because 17 days of "bags out at 6 a.m. bus departs at 8 a.m." was about 15 days too many....and then we discovered river cruising and after one really bad experience discovered that all ocean cruises are NOT the same! We have friends who did the Normandy river cruise this past spring and they loved it...and I think your idea about joining Linda in Paris is a good one! At the very least you save on one plane ticket between US and Paris.

Bottom line: Russia isn't going any where and if you cancel this one you'll be able to rebook it once everything calms down again....I mean, it's not like we're looking at WW3 here, right??????

Bill, I hear you o the bus tours! DH and I did France with Trafalgar after we did Greece because we liked them so much, but to be perfectly honest, we have not done a bus tour since France because 17 days of "bags out at 6 a.m. bus departs at 8 a.m." was about 15 days too many....and then we discovered river cruising and after one really bad experience discovered that all ocean cruises are NOT the same! We have friends who did the Normandy river cruise this past spring and they loved it...and I think your idea about joining Linda in Paris is a good one! At the very least you save on one plane ticket between US and Paris.

Bottom line: Russia isn't going any where and if you cancel this one you'll be able to rebook it once everything calms down again....I mean, it's not like we're looking at WW3 here, right??????

Well we are one step closer to changing cruises for next year. Our travel agent mentioned that there have been inquiries by others about Russian travel, and we have been told that our deposit will transfer to another Uniworld cruise.

So we are touching base with the other person who was going with us to Russia to see what their thoughts are.

Sure wish every one in the world would all just get along !!

• 1 month later...

We have decided to cancel this Russian River cruise for the time being. Just too many things on 'our' bucket list - to be concerned about what may or may not become a future problem in the Ukraine/Russian region, especially a year from now.

With that being said we have changed to the Uniworld Paris/Normandy cruise on June 21st, 2015. I have started a thread under "All River Cruise Roll Calls" titled:

UNIWORLD Paris/Normandy "All" 2015

If anyone has taken the Paris cruise or has an interest in that cruise I would love to hear from you.

For those continuing with the Russian cruise, I hope your experience is a Great one!!

We are just back from a fabulous cruise aboard Volga Dream. This is truly a 5 star boat. Food was amazing each day with varied menus of superb food. Cabins while rather small were very comfy, had good size bathrooms and all we needed. Staff particularly engaging and friendly.

Volga Dream puts you in 5 star hotel in St Petersburg and Moscow..much better than other lines that keep you on the boat. The cruise port is nowhere near the city and you would have a 2 hour trip each day through heavy with traffic..so think carefully before you select one of those lines. We recommend Volga Dream highly.

regards

Rod and Barry