My time dinnig query ? Freedom of the Seas

We are 2 x adults and 2 x children (ages 6 and 10). We have pre booked a dinning slot for 5.30pm as we felt the later slot with children would be to late.

Ideally we like to eat about 7.00pm -7.30pm how does the my time dinning work ? Also, where are the best places to eat with kids on the ship ?

We are 2 x adults and 2 x children (ages 6 and 10). We have pre booked a dinning slot for 5.30pm as we felt the later slot with children would be to late.

Ideally we like to eat about 7.00pm -7.30pm how does the my time dinning work ? Also, where are the best places to eat with kids on the ship ?

You can try to change your reserved dining time once you get on board. Also, it is not required to have a reservation to use MTD. You can show up whenever you want, and people report that the wait is usually not more than a few minutes.

I was just on FOS the week of December 15th and my wife and I used MTD. It was nice because we weren't stuck with only two options (early or late seating) but it wasn't as great as I hoped it to be. About two weeks before we left I decided to make reservations just to make sure we could get the times we wanted and the only times available were either 5:30-5:45 or 7:45 or later. And the one night that we tried to go and wait for a table at 6:30 they told us the earliest time we could be seated was 8:15 and that was just for 2!! If I were to do it again I would still use MTD again but I would make reservations early so that I could get the times desired.

Personally..LOVE the 5:30 pm time slot when with my kids..as I get to enjoy my dinner with my kids but then kids club will meet up at the dining room door to collect the kids to bring them to the kids club..and I can relax and enjoy the remainder of meal / coffee/dessert...

We've done both the regular dining seating and the MTD on FOS. While we don't have kids, we do know that if you choose not to eat in the dining room, you have a lot of other choices.

The Windjammer Buffet is where we ended up most of the time. You typically get some of the same foods as in the dining room, but in a much less formal and relaxed atmosphere. We really enjoyed our dinners there. I think they open at 6pm.

Other venues are open for dinner as well. Pizza (Sorrentos), sandwiches (Cafe Promenade) and burgers (Johnny Rockets with a small fee) can all be found.

With MTD, you don't have to make reservations in the dining room if you don't want to, but it is an option. The nice thing about MTD is that you can eat where you want, when you want. And if there's a wait at the dining room and you don't want to wait, you can go elsewhere. I think if I had kids along on the cruise, I would definitely do MTD - it just seems easier to me.

Edited by CreativeJourney

The main dinning room is fine for kids as they do have a children's menu. The windjammer buffet is also a good option for kids because they can try what they want with out having what they do not like on their plate plus you can control the portion size.

Just got off FOS yesterday. Had the MTD 5:30 slot. Loved it! We especially liked the fact that we could make the 7 p.m. show if there was something we wanted to do instead of the 9 p.m. show. On our Jamaica port day we changed our reservation to 6:30 without any problem. We had the same table each evening - and after the first night the wonderful wait team we had had 3 iced teas and a diet coke waiting for us, and knew which dinner roll we wanted! Thought we would be at a different table each nite, but that isn't what happened. One evening my dh wasn't thrilled with any of the dining choices, so he had mac n cheese off the kid's menu, and was very happy!