Help on choosing cruise for gay honeymoon

RollTideGuy

Hello All,

My fiance and I are getting married on Friday evening, May 2nd, 2014.

We are trying to decide between the Oasis of the Seas and the new Norwegian Getaway for our honeymoon, leaving on Saturday, May 3rd.

Both are 7 night cruises to the Eastern Caribbean out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Neither of us have cruised before.

We want the ship to be fun and active but also have some romantic aspects as well. We plan on a balcony state room on either ship.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

This is my opinion. I'm a very experienced cruises 30+ so far and this is my opinion so take it for whatever it's worth. If it were me I'd go with the Oasis as the reviews of the ship are excellent. The Norwegian Gateway doesn't start until Jan 2014 and there aren't any reviews yet so I'd be hesitate booking it until as least 6-12 mos in service as it take awhile to work out the bugs. Since this this is your honeymoon and a very special occasion I'd go with what is in service & proven. Now, the Oasis is huge with over 5400 passengers; however, it's got every bell and whistle imaginable for every type of passenger style from the Rock climbing wall to the ice skating rink. Remember, the bigger the ship and more impersonal it can feel. Food is mass market; but entertainmetn first class. But I'm a big RCI fan and have yet to have a bad cruise with them. I really can't see how you could go wrong. NCL on the other hand has the freestyle cruising style which does appeal to many people. However, if I were to go on NCL I'd pick another ship that currently in service and read the reviews and see if it appeals to you before I'd book it. I'd hate for you go on your first cruise and have a not so great time especially since it you honeymoon. Here is a link to the Oasis reviews on CC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=368

Thanks so much for your info, COMBOY.

I have to say we are leaning toward Oasis for the reasons you mentioned. I have checked the reviews of Getaway's sister ship, Breakaway, and they vary wildly from poor to excellent.

The Oasis reviews seem much more consistent.

The freestyle dining is the main thing that keeps me considering the Getaway, but I may be able to get used to RCI's structured dining times just fine.

I'm glad to hear that you are an RCI fan.

With as much experience as you have on cruising, I really value your opinion.

We've been on both Oasis and Allure, most recently Allure Eastern Caribbean for our second honeymoon. We had just gotten legally married in MD a few weeks before, and decided to make the cruise we'd already planned a honeymoon. You can request "honeymoon" as a cruise celebration, which will get you an invitation to a honeymoon party one night (free sparkling wine and cake, I believe--we didn't have the time to go to it).

You would definitely find Oasis fun and active. There are always multiple things going on, basically to keep the nearly 6000 passengers from all being in one place at one time! But there are romantic things to do as well, spa-related for instance, and RCI offers various romance packages. There are specialty dining restaurants where you can have lunch or dinner just the two of you.

The entertainment is definitely the star on Oasis, and COMBOY is correct that you're probably better off whatever you do in booking a ship that has been in service longer.

Thanks CntPACruiser and ehfl.

I'm so glad you both enjoyed your cruises! I think we are definitely leaning toward Oasis, especially since World Sailor pointed out that you can request Anytime Dining when booking the reservation.

Did either of you buy the spa pass on Oasis? I was wondering about the price and also what all the spa pass encompasses.

Also, CntPACruiser, the Oasis cruise we are looking at is Easter Caribbean. It should be the same itinerary you had on Allure.

I would love to hear which excursions you chose.

Thanks all for your help and insight. :)

Thanks CntPACruiser and ehfl.

I'm so glad you both enjoyed your cruises! I think we are definitely leaning toward Oasis, especially since World Sailor pointed out that you can request Anytime Dining when booking the reservation.

Did either of you buy the spa pass on Oasis? I was wondering about the price and also what all the spa pass encompasses.

Also, CntPACruiser, the Oasis cruise we are looking at is Easter Caribbean. It should be the same itinerary you had on Allure.

I would love to hear which excursions you chose.

Thanks all for your help and insight. :)

We did get the thermal suite pass on both Oasis and Allure, because the daily sauna/steam is a big part of the cruise for us. (I'm not sure if this is what you mean by the spa pass.) It is just under $200 with the "gratuity" for a couples' pass good for the entire cruise. The thermal suite has heated ceramic lounges, a sauna, a steam room, and an aromatherapy steam room. These are all fairly small, and can get loud if people talk in the rooms. There are also two specialty showers with light effects (rain shower, thunderstorm, waterfall, etc.). Unfortunately how enjoyable and relaxing the thermal suite is will all depend on your fellow cruisers. This last time around on Allure, we had a number of couples and groups who would come into the thermal suite and take over, talking loudly, and at one point later in the week taking flash pictures (seriously!) for a good 10 minutes. Thankfully we also found times when it was fairly quiet.

As for excursions, the only one we did through the ship this time around was the Champagne Catamaran sail and snorkel from St. Thomas to St. John. It was ok. We've had much better cat sail/snorkel excursions for less money on non-US territory islands. Check out the specific port of call boards here on CC for lots of information on specific excursions, both through the ship and otherwise. That said, if it's your first cruise, you may want to stick with the ship-booked excursions and branch out from there on later cruises. One initial tip--do not book an excursion in every port, necessarily. If you try to do too much, and there is SO MUCH to do on these ships, you will be so worn out by the end of the week, you will need a vacation from your vacation. Plan down time, for example a quiet shopping or beach day, instead of making every port super-active.

Very happy to help and wishing you all the best and much fun!

Thanks so much for your info, COMBOY.

I have to say we are leaning toward Oasis for the reasons you mentioned. I have checked the reviews of Getaway's sister ship, Breakaway, and they vary wildly from poor to excellent.

The Oasis reviews seem much more consistent.

The freestyle dining is the main thing that keeps me considering the Getaway, but I may be able to get used to RCI's structured dining times just fine.

I'm glad to hear that you are an RCI fan.

With as much experience as you have on cruising, I really value your opinion.

No...RCI offers very similar dining options to NCL with either "My Time" or "Traditional Fixed" dining. You make your selection at the time of booking. With My Time dining you can dine anytime in the dining room when it is open (usually between 5-9PM) so you are NOT fixed to any specific table or time. This is what My time dining offers:

Here's some additional information to keep in mind:

Dinner is served in the Main Dining Room

Same menu as traditional seating

Same impeccable service as traditional seating

Must pre-pay gratuities to participate - this includes tips for your waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and stateroom attendant

Guests will not receive a table assignment or permanent table mates

You will have the ability to request a certain waiter (subject to availability)

My Time Dining waiters share their gratuities amongst the other My Time Dining waiters; feel free to reward your waiter with an extra tip for providing excellent service

You will be seated with the party you arrive with; you can request to be seated with other guests or alone

To provide you with a smooth, non-disruptive meal, once dinner service begins for your table, no additional guests will be seated

Reservations are recommended in order to avoid a delay in seating (reservations will be taken once onboard)

When reserving your cruise, you will need to provide your reservation number and the number of guests

The Windjammer Cafe Buffet is also open for breakfast, lunch and dinner for casual dining. Dine anytime you want. Just show up.

Also, there are many specialty upscale dining (extra cost) options. You either make a daily reservation or just show up (if available). This from the RCI Website:

Experience culinary delights at any one of our Specialty restaurants where for one low cover charge you can choose any items off the menu from appetizer to dessert* — including 150 Central Park, Chops Grille steakhouse, and Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant

A la carte more your style? Try Izumi Asian cuisine for sushi bar selections, and Vintages wine bar for an array of tempting tapas*

NEW Central Park Dining Package, at $70 per guest, includes Giovanni's Table Italian Trattoria, 150 Central Park fine-dining restaurant and Chops Grille steakhouse

NEW Chef's Dining Package, at $130 per guest, includes the five-course, gourmet Chef's Table and wine pairing, 150 Central Park and Chops Grille

NEW Choice Dining Package, at $70 per guest, includes Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table and a choice of Izumi Asian Cuisine or Solarium Bistro

Thanks CntPAcruiser and COMBOY for the info.

CntPAcruiser- I am so looking forward to the spa services. Hopefully I can avoid too many noisy people. Also, good advice about the excursions. We are hoping to find a balance of "doing things" and getting some quality relaxation. I have done trips before where I wished I has chilled out and rested more. I don't want to make that mistake on our honeymoon.

COMBOY- That is amazing info about My Time Dining. Thanks so much! Also, I'm glad to see the additional dining packages. We are also considering the drink package as well.

Here's my opinion on dining. My partner and I are pretty loyal to RCI. We've been on Allure twice and are scheduled for Oasis in a couple of months. Would always recommend it. There's no way to walk off that ship without being happy.

Just remember that this is your honeymoon. Because it's a well-populated ship, you may want to consider the specialty restaurants for, say, 3 or 4 nights, just to get away from the hustle and bustle of the ship. I'm not a fan of the Windjammer, but the buffet is another way of having some private seating time with one another. I generally don't like the main dining room without doing the my time dining. I don't love sitting to dinner with truckers from middle America who have never met gay people before. Central Park 150 is perfect for a super special night.

Thanks, MiamiCruzr.

The more I read the forums the more confident I feel about sailing Oasis.

I totally understand your point about not sitting next to a trucker who has never met gay people. LOL We are definitely planning to do My Time Dining.

Oasis looks like such a wonderful ship and the specialty restaurants look amazing.

We will be visiting several for sure!

Thanks for the tips and info!

Choosing NCL again after our disastrous cruise on the Norwegian Spirit would be cause for divorce, I'm certain. (the ship itself, although older, was just fine). This had been our third time on NCL.

Oasis of the Seas, no question.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I have never sailed on the Oasis but have been on a few RCI cruises and have been disappointed every time. I have also sailed with NCL 4 times and in my opinion the NCL cruises were much much better then the RCI cruises. I think the food,service & entertainment on NCL are much better then RCI. This is of course just my opinion and I am sure you will have a wonderful honeymoon no matter what cruise you choose.

Edited by Bocadude85

Thanks, MiamiCruzr.

I totally understand your point about not sitting next to a trucker who has never met gay people. LOL We are definitely planning to do My Time Dining.

Oasis looks like such a wonderful ship and the specialty restaurants look amazing.

We will be visiting several for sure!

Thanks for the tips and info!

We enjoy dinner in the MDR and only once in six cruise have we ever not fully enjoyed our tablemates. Each to his own, of course, and specifically because it will be your honeymoon, I'd still recommend what you're planning already (MTD/specialty restaurants). In later years when you an old married couple, you may want the entertainment value of dining with strangers. :D

BocaDude85, thanks for the opinion. I was wondering where the NCL fans were. Glad you like them.

CntPACruiser, I think the entertainment value of dining with strangers could be priceless, but like you mentioned I will wait till our next cruise. My partner is pretty shy and I think being forced to make small talk each dinner, especially on our Honeymoon, could bring on an anxiety attack! LOL

MiamiSpartan, thanks for the condolences for the game. I saw this loss coming. Bama was so deflated after that crazy last second loss to Auburn and being knocked out of a chance to three-peat. I was afraid we would lay an egg on the field.

Glad you have enjoyed both RCCL and NCL. The NCL Getaway seems beautiful but it's sister ship has horrible reviews. Those concern me big time.

Thanks, MiamiCruzr.

I totally understand your point about not sitting next to a trucker who has never met gay people.

Sorry for the slight thread drift, but I just wanted to note that gay people can be just as awful dinner companions as anyone else. :) My spouse and I (married lesbians) were on a recent Pied Piper cruise, and one of the gay men at our table launched into a discussion one night about how women on welfare should be limited in the number of children they are allowed to have, and this should be enforced through sterilization. He also said he did not think that gay couples should be allowed to get married, that we should accept civil unions. I would gladly have exchanged him for your trucker. :eek:

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise, whichever ship you decided to sail on!

Turtle, I totally agree. I didn't mean in any way to imply that the gays are impeccable or the straights are nasty. I just think that you're more likely to run into some sort of drama when dining with randoms on a cruise. The couple should be alone on their honeymoon anyway.

My partner and I are big fans of NCL. You can read my reviews of the Star and Jade in the reviews section.

We love NCL for the Freestyle concept and great selection of restaurants, bars, and entertainment. Every night at 8 pm there is an informal GLBT unhosted gathering for drinks, usually in the Star Bar but always clearly listed in the daily guide.

You may want to look beyond the Caribbean for more gay-friendly ports of call. For a honeymoon, I'd highly recommend the Jade for its itineraries in the Mediterranean...I did RT Venice to the Greek Isles for my 40th birthday. It was AMAZING. The Jade crew made me and my guests feel very welcome.

My partner and I are doing the Jewel RT from New Orleans in Feb for our 20th Anniv. We have a special dinner booked in Le Bistro for our celebration dinner, and a suite in the Haven.

Congratulations to you and yours. I'm sure that whatever you decide you will have a blast.

Roll Tide, Roll!

Coy

U of A BS '92, MSW '94

Turtle, I totally agree. I didn't mean in any way to imply that the gays are impeccable or the straights are nasty. I just think that you're more likely to run into some sort of drama when dining with randoms on a cruise. The couple should be alone on their honeymoon anyway.

No worries. I agree that dining with strangers is a real crapshoot. It's why our first two cruises on Celebrity were with Pied Piper. We figured that would at least minimize some of the risk. It was pretty shocking to have that crass boor at our table (and he was young, even more surprising to hear him express the views he did).

And yes the newlyweds should be alone. :)