Best beach to snorkel

FB_Coach

Hello all, carnival liberty says we will be in ST from 11-7, really wanted to know the best beach to snorkel and then plan on doing some shopping?

Is this possible for the time we are there? Will Liberty dock before 11?

Hello all, carnival liberty says we will be in ST from 11-7, really wanted to know the best beach to snorkel and then plan on doing some shopping?

Is this possible for the time we are there? Will Liberty dock before 11?

I doubt the ship will dock early, they pay dearly for dock time and time things accordingly. You can easily snorkel then shop for awhile. Personally I love Coki, but there are other great beaches too.

I just responded to your other question and recommended there that you enjoy a beach on STT because these are the nicest on your itinerary and offer the best snorkeling (in my humble opinion).

We like Sapphire Beach because it offers good snorkeling, natural shade, nice sand, and water and island views, and food and drink options. 20 - 30 min taxi and $20pp RT.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Other good snorkel choices on STT include Coki which is a small bay and has a much busier vibe, and Secret Harbor which is another small bay and very calm but no shade for day visitors. These are all East End beaches, and Sapphire and SH are home to condo resorts while Coki is more a public beach with several vendors.

We did Sapphire with my wife, mother and 4 boys (6 yrs to 15 yrs).

The Coral is extremely close and the waters are very shallow. Very easy with great fish to see... just stay 8 feet away from the edge of the coral or the security guard on the beach with give you a stern yelling at. I learned that the hard way even though i was being extremely cautious to not come anywhere close to the coral.

We also took the $2 bus instead of the $20 each way taxi since there were 7 of us. It was a great adventure and super easy.

Enjoy your day with whatever you decide!

We did Sapphire with my wife, mother and 4 boys (6 yrs to 15 yrs).

The Coral is extremely close and the waters are very shallow. Very easy with great fish to see... just stay 8 feet away from the edge of the coral or the security guard on the beach with give you a stern yelling at. I learned that the hard way even though i was being extremely cautious to not come anywhere close to the coral.

We also took the $2 bus instead of the $20 each way taxi since there were 7 of us. It was a great adventure and super easy.

Enjoy your day with whatever you decide!

Glad you enjoyed your day at Sapphire. As you said, the snorkeling can be very good near the shore. One recent visitor complained about that and I wish she had asked for directions rather than missing out and leaving a bad report. Anyway Sapphire is a gorgeous beach and has great snorkeling, and condo owners and the dive center staff can also offer advice where to go for shallower snorkeling.

And sorry to hear the guard was so stern when you were well off the coral. His name escapes me but he is super conscious of that because of the number of day visitors who actually stand on the coral :rolleyes:. He can be a bit "over protective" as a result.

Thanks for your report!

Thanks for all the replies....I'm not the strongest swimmer so I don't want anything I have to swim very far to see. My wife swims like a fish so not a problem for her.

Coki is another good option, just a bit more crowded than Sapphire. Both are near each other and if you had no other plans for your day you could try both with a short taxi. But I would recommend leaving time to enjoy a drink/snack at Paradise Point if that interests you.

Have a great day!

That's what everyone is saying, that stinks, I wonder if you have your own equipment, can you still go

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think you could? Just sit on your towel I guess? Not sure about facilities/washrooms tho!:eek:

Dang, I wonder why they are doing that? I've never been so don't know the area but are they making only for people at the condos (if they have them) or just closing because of other reasons?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Still waiting for updates from owners there, but the dive center and gift shop area have been closed. I believe the Banana Cabana beach bar and the Sapphire Village Restaurant are still open though.

Sapphire is open to the public, just bring a towel and your own gear, should be even less busy now.

The one question is will the restrooms be open or closed.