Jacksonville restaurants

LBroxon

Looking for a good seafood restaurant (specifically, great crab cakes) in Jacksonville. Any locals have some good advice?

Consult LoisR who has spent all of her 56 years in Jacksonville; and, who is very knowledgeable about eveything in connection with that city. You can probably best find her on the Celebrity board.

Looking for a good seafood restaurant (specifically, great crab cakes) in Jacksonville. Any locals have some good advice?

Hi, Jacksonville is not known for "Crab cakes"...where are you staying?

Better to have that information in reference to how far you want to

travel.........

There are seafood places at the beach.....others in town. Jacksonville

is quite spread out.

Edited by Lois R

Consult LoisR who has spent all of her 56 years in Jacksonville; and, who is very knowledgeable about eveything in connection with that city. You can probably best find her on the Celebrity board.

Jack, not 56 yet:eek:.......3 more months to go............

Any advice LoisR?

Where are you staying? Are you renting a car? I can give you

a couple of places but I have no idea how far you want to travel.

Where are you staying? Are you renting a car? I can give you

a couple of places but I have no idea how far you want to travel.

Thanks! We are staying at the Plaza Hotel on Duval Road. I would say that we would prefer not to travel more than 20 minutes or so. We will have a car.

I like Singleton's, although not necessarily for crabcakes-we're not known for crab here. Their shrimp will make you cry, though. It's definitely a dive, but we've always been very happy with their food. They're probably a 15 minute drive from the airport area, and you can look into taking the Mayport Ferry across the river to save some time (and it's just kinda cool). There's a place across the river from them whose name escapes me right now that's also supposed to be good. Maybe Lois can remember? If you're lucky, at either place you'll get to see some fighter jet takeoffs or landings.

There are a couple of amazing places along the Intracoastal in Ponte Vedra/Palm Valley, but they're probably a 45 minute drive away, and not the easiest as far as navigation. If you have a GPS you'll be fine. Let me know if you want info on those, and I'll try to think of some more closer to the airport also.

We live just outside of Jacksonville. The place we hear great things about crab cakes is called "Barbara Jeans". They are located in fernandina beach. (Northeast of Jacksonville about 1/2 hour). You can take A1A up for a very beautiful drive or just go up to the first exit in Nassau county and head east about 10 miles.

Good morning....too funny,:D I was going to suggest Barbara Jean's:)

It is very casual with a VERY LARGE menu.....all kinds of food, with

lots of seafood:)

Jacksonville is not known for it's "crab cakes" but I am sure Barbara

Jean's are good.

You are staying right near the port/airport so I am not going to suggest

places I know on my side of town.....they are across the bridge and

closer to a 40 minute drive south. Oh I forgot it is at the beach so that

is sort of far too......I can't think of anything right near the airport......

There are restaurants but mostly chains, Longhorn's, Olive Garden,

Etc.....

Here is a link to Barbara Jean's......click on it and you can see

the menu, etc....it is a family owned place.....

http://www.barbarajeans.com/

Edited by Lois R

I like Singleton's, although not necessarily for crabcakes-we're not known for crab here. Their shrimp will make you cry, though. It's definitely a dive, but we've always been very happy with their food. They're probably a 15 minute drive from the airport area, and you can look into taking the Mayport Ferry across the river to save some time (and it's just kinda cool). There's a place across the river from them whose name escapes me right now that's also supposed to be good. Maybe Lois can remember? If you're lucky, at either place you'll get to see some fighter jet takeoffs or landings.

There are a couple of amazing places along the Intracoastal in Ponte Vedra/Palm Valley, but they're probably a 45 minute drive away, and not the easiest as far as navigation. If you have a GPS you'll be fine. Let me know if you want info on those, and I'll try to think of some more closer to the airport also.

Hi Kate:) I live near Town Center and for the life of me, I can't

think of any "Seafood Places" near the airport.....Barbara

Jean's and Singletons are both really good though:) You know the

area....Jacksonville is so spread out..........

Barbara Jeans was one of the places on the IC I was going to suggest, I totally forgot they had a location in Fernandina. I've never had anything bad there, if anyone can make a good crab cake I imagine they can.

Barbara Jeans was one of the places on the IC I was going to suggest, I totally forgot they had a location in Fernandina. I've never had anything bad there, if anyone can make a good crab cake I imagine they can.

Hi Kate,:) I think Fernandina would be closer than the Beach location.

I have always liked the food there:D

IMO nobody in Florida makes good crab cakes. OK, I'm prejudiced having lived in Baltimore, in fact our kids, who still live there, order restaurant crab cakes on dry ice and send them to us for Christmas presents. Barbara Jean's has good food, just would not recommend the crab cakes. PS I've lived in Jacksonville for 31 years.

IMO nobody in Florida makes good crab cakes. OK, I'm prejudiced having lived in Baltimore, in fact our kids, who still live there, order restaurant crab cakes on dry ice and send them to us for Christmas presents. Barbara Jean's has good food, just would not recommend the crab cakes. PS I've lived in Jacksonville for 31 years.

Hi:)....I have lived here since 1965.......;)

And of course Baltimore has better crab cakes....that is what they

are known for.