Viking Helvetia

M&T

So, the lounge and dining room are open for lunch. What is offered in the dining room? Then, The dining room is the only place to eat for dinner? Where do most people eat? Thanks.

So, the lounge and dining room are open for lunch. What is offered in the dining room? Then, The dining room is the only place to eat for dinner? Where do most people eat? Thanks.

The lounge you will find soup, pasta salads and desserts. Dinning room is off a menu and has a salad/soup, choice of sandwiches or Shepard's pie and dessert. Both areas have free wine and beer during lunch and dinner. I bet it is 50/50 when it comes to lunch and how many people.

They always have water, tea and coffee with cookies, etc out most of the day and evening if you need a snack. that is located before you go into the loung.

I believe only the dinning room has dinner. The main course has a poultry, pork, beef or fish items.

At anytime you can ask for an item and they will try to accommodate you. Viking was just marvelous.

For dinner, the Dining Room has a full menu to choose from: appetizer, entree (meat, chicken, fish, vegeterian), dessert, cheese plater. Each evening there are new choices plus - right side of the menu - always standard: Ceasar Salad + steak, salmon, and, I think chicken. [i'm only adding "right side" since it was about day 6 when someone asked how another passenger had steak that evening and he mentioned it was a staple - listed on the right side of the menu - she had never looked at the right side since choices are listed on the left.] The menu is posted outside the DR every day - I guess sometime after lunch.

But the Lounge also has food in the evening - a lighter menu (bar menu) not the full DR menu. We never ate there in the evening since we never wanted to miss our table, it was SO much fun! But people have reported on CC that the food there is very good and lighter, especially if you've had a heavy lunch on or off the ship. I'm sure they could show you the menu so you could make your decision. There are smaller tables in the lounge so 2 people could eat alone. I would presume that wine is also included since it is at lunch in the lounge.

I think Viking is trying to offer as many choices as possible on their new longboats.

We did the Helvetia from Basel to Amsterdam May, 2013. It was our second year in a row to do a river cruise with Viking and we loved it! If you are staying in the "Aquarium level", the cabins are actually better than those on the Viking. They have a large window that you can actually see out of. They did serve lunch in the lounge BUT I do not remember anyone eating dinner in the lounge. We did not know one soul on the ship but by the end of our week, we couldn't wait to eat with our new found friends. With less than two hundred people on board, you will get to know an array of people and eating with others, will probably not be uncomfortable! Hope you have a great trip!

We are in the cabins with French Balconies. I sure it will be an amazing trip for us. We have timed it to be in Amsterdam after the cruise for peak tulip time. Thanks for all the information. How long did the ship dock at Kinderdjik?

We were only there for an hour or two BUT it was pretty cold that day and windy so it was long enough! We saw the Unesco site and went in one of the windmills and had time to do souvenier shops. They had hot chocolate waiting for us when we got back....you could walk just a few hundred feet and be at the windmills. An hour or so before we arrived in Kinderdjik, we saw a huge replica of Noah's Ark on the river- I don't mean that it was floating....it was some type of permanent thing. It was a pleasant surprise. You will have a great trip!

Do you dock right at Kinderdjik? My husband is wild about photography. I hope we will be there long enough to suit him.

We have been trying to decide how warm of clothes we will need. We will be there a month earlier. I guess layers is always the best way to pack.

We were only there for an hour or two BUT it was pretty cold that day and windy so it was long enough! We saw the Unesco site and went in one of the windmills and had time to do souvenier shops. They had hot chocolate waiting for us when we got back....you could walk just a few hundred feet and be at the windmills. An hour or so before we arrived in Kinderdjik, we saw a huge replica of Noah's Ark on the river- I don't mean that it was floating....it was some type of permanent thing. It was a pleasant surprise. You will have a great trip!

My husband was able to tour that Noah's Ark in Amsterdam a year or two before our cruise in April'12. He loved it, and then read that it was leaving Amsterdam, so was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to show it to me when we visited. Imagine our surprise when we cruised right by it on the way to Kinderdijk!

Do you dock right at Kinderdjik? My husband is wild about photography. I hope we will be there long enough to suit him.

We have been trying to decide how warm of clothes we will need. We will be there a month earlier. I guess layers is always the best way to pack.

We were at Kinderdijk in the month of April as well, in 2012. We had very cool weather, so, yes, you will want to plan for layers. A hat, a jacket with a hood, some gloves, a scarf and comfy but stable shoes will go a long way toward ensuring your comfort. And, although Viking will provide the large golf umbrellas if you need one, I much preferred my own small, collapsible umbrellas that I could stick in my string backpack and take out as needed.

For photography at Kinderdijk, go up on the Sun deck to get a nice view of the windmills in a long line along the canal. Your husband should also be able to get some good shots in different light as you walk down and back to visit the windmills. I found the light changed quite a bit in the short time we were there.

Thanks again. I was hoping it would not be so cold, but we have to take what comes along. It will be a great trip.

It may not be that cold, as we had unseasonably cold weather. But, I would still go prepared for cooler weather. If you don't need the hat, gloves, scarf, well, so much the better. But they don't take up much space I. The luggage, and if you'd want them and didn't have them, you'd regret it. A woman on our cruise was miserable one windy, cool day. She had no hood on her coat and no hat. She even asked our guide where she could buy a hat, b/c her ears were cold. Even if it's not really cold, if your tour is along the water and it is windy, it will feel colder than it is.

Becki

We were in Kinderdijk about a month ago - unseasonally warm and the sun was out! But it still got very cold because of the dampness. We were due to dock aobut 2pm but arrived early - I got off to take photos and it was lovely out - I did have my boots & heavy coat on but didn't need a hat or gloves for a quick trip out. Our tours began at 3pm and by then it was getting cold! I was happy I had then brought my hat, scarf & gloves!

M&T ~ we were at Kinderdijk from about 1:15 to 6:00pm - plenty of time for photos since the windmills are about 5 minutes from the dock. Before our tour there was a presentation about windmills and Holland - interesting but really not that necessary - maybe I just thought so since it was our last port! Then we had time to get ready and into our groups and our tour guide again gave us an explanation of the windmills and how they clear the area of water. Again all interesting but if your husband is into photos its something he could skip. There's just one path down to the mills and back. We did have to go with our guide into the mill that was open but I'm sure he could join a group in progress. The area is a photographer's paradise - if I lived near there I'd be there at least once a month if not week! rjscott is correct - the light changing is amazing!!!

Have a great time!!!

Kinderdijk04.jpg.fc49c3f5888a83f0dbfff793ccb7dbe6.jpg

Kinderdijk05.jpg.402374abaab5450567a1bbfaee8677c8.jpg

Kinderdijk10.jpg.ffc3e2f460c4bbac7ff2b0294952c6f6.jpg

Thanks. I will let my husband know about the photo pops and light. I looked at weather through the years. It appears that low to mid 50's is normal. With wind and damp, that would feel cold. I also noticed that on 4/15/07, it was 82. We are in deep freeze now like most of the country. Monday and Tuesday, it was -13 and -39 with wind chill. It was amazing!

I guess you know I meant ops (opportunities). Was it coat weather the whole time and sometimes sweatshirt and coat? I have a coat with a heavy fleece/bulky lining. I am deciding whether to take the the bulky liner or a thinner fleece jacket and coat. Thanks.

I guess you know I meant ops (opportunities). Was it coat weather the whole time and sometimes sweatshirt and coat? I have a coat with a heavy fleece/bulky lining. I am deciding whether to take the the bulky liner or a thinner fleece jacket and coat. Thanks.

What I had was a light rain coat-type jacket with a hood. Under that I wore layers. I had a polar fleece top that I wore over blouses or t-shirts. If I didn't wear my polar fleece top, I wore a sweatshirt. Also, underneath my tops, I wore a cuddle duds-type undershirt, so I wouldn't be too hot, and if it got warm, I could start stripping those layers. There were a couple of days it was nicer, and we did open our coats. But, we also had a really rainy day, where we added a layer of a poncho for me and a windbreaker for hubby. Both of those folded into their own pouches, so again, didn't take up space in the luggage, but kept us dry in the wind and rain. I guess I would opt for something lighter if it were me, and more layers. You can check the weather each morning b/f getting dressed, so you'll know how many layers. And, you know how much the cold would bother you. I don't tolerate cold well, but I also wasn't about to let the cold or rain keep me from enjoying our tours. In fact, we did our included tours, went back to the ship for lunch, and then went back and explored more on our own, armed with our umbrellas. I took a string backpack for carrying our umbrellas and our water bottles, so I'd have my hands free for taking photos, and also a place to stash those layers if I was able to strip off anything.

Becki

We went to Kinderdijk last September. When we docked is was sunny and beautiful however, the wind was cold. I had my Columbia jacket and a scarf on and it stayed on the whole time. I didn't think I would need a hat or gloves, but I did need them! The further you walk towards the windmills the stronger the wind gets, so dress warm. The photo ops are a bound. He will need to be in the front of everyone or behind the group if he would like pictures without a lot of people in them.

325252912_CologneandKinderdijk(5).jpg.69c31893dfa5cf9f9173e25f3c174a03.jpg

I hope you have some lovely weather. We only had a couple of rainy days, which really made it much easier to put up with the colder days. With the sun out, it was so pleasant to walk around and enjoy those beautiful towns and villages. And, if you needed a warm-up, the guides were good at recommending a place to have a hot drink with a snack.

Becki