Documents needed

Memak7

I don't know why, but I can't seem to get it clear in my head exactly which documents I need to take with me (and have in hand) for my cruise to the Bahamas next week.

I plan to register on-line later today, but do I need to print something out to take with me to the ship? Do I need to take my driver's license? How about birth certificate, marriage license, etc.? What about any other documents required by RC.....either to board the ship, or to get off/on the ship in the Bahamas?

Once you have completed online check in you will be able to print your set sail pass. If you are using a credit card to set up your on board account, you will need to have that same card with you at check in.

Do you have passports? I would recommend that you take those with you to avoid any problems as whilst sometimes just a photo ID is required, having your passport covers all possibilities.

Otherwise, copy of your insurance documents? Just incase....? (although this isn't necessary at check in - just thinking out the box!)

Have a lovely trip

Jo :)

Edited by jo24

If you don't want to take your passport off the ship in Nassau, you might want to take your DL because Nassau security requires a photo ID and SeaPass card to get back to the ship.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to get it clear in my head exactly which documents I need to take with me (and have in hand) for my cruise to the Bahamas next week.

I plan to register on-line later today, but do I need to print something out to take with me to the ship? Do I need to take my driver's license? How about birth certificate, marriage license, etc.? What about any other documents required by RC.....either to board the ship, or to get off/on the ship in the Bahamas?

Passport (the best form of ID) although not a requirement.

Photo government issued ID (driver's license) and a original birth certificate (not the one issued by a hospital) are all you need.

You might need your marriage license as a bridging document if your married name does not match your photo ID or vice versa.

Of course you will need to do the online check in and print out your Set Sail Pass and have that with you.

Make sure you have the same credit card with you that you used to set up your onboard account.

I deeply appreciate all of your responses, but this is why I'm so confused. All of you seem to agree to take a passport (which I have), and the sea pass, but Eng23 seems to think I also need my driver's license, birth certificate and possibly my marriage license.

So, what's correct?

I deeply appreciate all of your responses, but this is why I'm so confused. All of you seem to agree to take a passport (which I have), and the sea pass, but Eng23 seems to think I also need my driver's license, birth certificate and possibly my marriage license.

So, what's correct?

If you have the passport you don't need your birth certificate or your marriage license...the only reason you would need your Driver's license is if you did NOT want to take your passport off the ship in Nassau...if you don't mind taking it off, then you don't need your DL...Nassau requires photo id along with your seapass card before they will let you back onto the pier area to reboard your ship...

I think Eng23 was trying to cover the bases - if you don't have a passport then you would need the other documentation. If you said off the bat you have a passport that may have helped with the answers.

They will tell you in the Compass what type of ID you need when getting on/off at a port. For example they'll say you need your Seapass & a photo ID or just your Seapass.

FWIW - I always have my DL with me when I get off the ship. I leave my passport in the cabin safe.

So, what's correct?

I was pointing out all of the acceptable forms of ID. No you don't need all of them. The passport covers all the bases. If you did not want to use your passport, then a driver's license and birth certificate would be required. The marrige license would only be needed as a bridging document if say you use your married name and it is different from the name on your license or passport. The license connects why there is a difference in names on your ID and the name you booked your cruise under.

Everyone needs to have a copy off thier SetSail Pass that you get doing online check in. IF you don't have it you can still check in at the pier it just takes longer to do so.

So, what's correct?

Assuming you are a US citizen and this is a closed loop cruise, you need the following:

To board the ship: You have to show 1) proof of citizenship and 2) proof of identity. If you have a passport, that will cover both of citizenship and identity. Otherwise you need a birth certificate (proof of citizenship) and government issued photo ID (proof of identity.) Most people use a drivers license as their ID, although a state-issued ID card from the DMV or a military ID work also. It is helpful to have your Set Sail pass printed but it isn't necessary. If the last names on your documents don't match, take your marriage certificate (or divorce decree) to show how your name changed and that that your ID/ID's and Set Sail pass all refer to the same person.

When going ashore in port: You'll need to take your Seapass card to exit the ship and to reboard the ship. Most ports suggest taking a photo ID as well; sometimes the local authorities ask to see it before you board the ship, sometimes not. Any government issued photo ID will work, so either your passport or DL is fine.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first Cruise on RCI. Will my 2 marriage licenses work to bridge? I do not have a copy of my divorce decree. NCL has always just accepted my Birth Certificate and DL with two names on it but I do not want to be turned away. I do not have time to get a Passport on this trip.Thanks

This is my first Cruise on RCI. Will my 2 marriage licenses work to bridge? I do not have a copy of my divorce decree. NCL has always just accepted my Birth Certificate and DL with two names on it but I do not want to be turned away. I do not have time to get a Passport on this trip.Thanks

Did you change your name back to your maiden name when you got divorced the first time? If not then the BC shows your maiden name, first marriage cert shows first married name, then second marriage cert shows from first married name to second married name, which should match the DL.

If you went back to your maiden name after the first divorce, then the second marriage cert should show the name change from maiden to current married. If so, then you only need second one.

I got married, got divorced, went back to maidren name, then remarried. So before I got the passport, took BC, DL and second marriage cert. That brought my name from maiden to current.

I know it's confusing but you need to span the name changes. As long as each one does one leap to the final current one, then that's what you need.

Did you change your name back to your maiden name when you got divorced the first time? If not then the BC shows your maiden name, first marriage cert shows first married name, then second marriage cert shows from first married name to second married name, which should match the DL.

If you went back to your maiden name after the first divorce, then the second marriage cert should show the name change from maiden to current married. If so, then you only need second one.

I got married, got divorced, went back to maidren name, then remarried. So before I got the passport, took BC, DL and second marriage cert. That brought my name from maiden to current.

I know it's confusing but you need to span the name changes. As long as each one does one leap to the final current one, then that's what you need.

Thanks Janet!

you may want to reconsider if you're capable of cruising and you certainly don't want to rely on the mis-information you get on these board.

Also (at the risk of sounding like a wise guy) you will need your DL if you plan to drive, like on an excursion. This includes things like dune buggies etc.

also I've always made copies of all important docs and scanned into a pdf, which I then put on dropbox, so I can access from anywhere. Ditto RCCL docs, that way if you forget or lose them you can print out from any business center.

you may want to reconsider if you're capable of cruising and you certainly don't want to rely on the mis-information you get on these board.

This response is unnecessarily harsh. The purpose of the Cruise Critic boards is to provide a community for everyone to discuss cruising. The document requirement and boarding can be confusing for some.

Basically, if you have a passport, take it and that's really all you need. I don't recommend cruising without one. You can either take your passport or DL off the ship with you as port security often requires your sea pass and ID to reboard.

This response is unnecessarily harsh. The purpose of the Cruise Critic boards is to provide a community for everyone to discuss cruising. The document requirement and boarding can be confusing for some.

Basically, if you have a passport, take it and that's really all you need. I don't recommend cruising without one. You can either take your passport or DL off the ship with you as port security often requires your sea pass and ID to reboard.

seriously? she said she has a passport! maybe she would like someone to hold her hand? 75%+ pf questioned asked here could be resolved by reading the RCI site or using the search engine of their choice. but, it's easier to come on here and ask then do your own research.