Staying in Venice after cruise, need help!

MissBreezy

So, we will be disembarking our ship in Venice but due to flights have to stay overnight in Venice for an additional night. We are researching hotels but are concerned that we won't be able to check in anywhere early enough to get rid of our luggage. Does anyone have experience with hotels accommodating a morning check in?

Also, does the distance from port with a bunch of luggage make a huge difference or should we look for something close to the ship?

So, we will be disembarking our ship in Venice but due to flights have to stay overnight in Venice for an additional night. We are researching hotels but are concerned that we won't be able to check in anywhere early enough to get rid of our luggage. Does anyone have experience with hotels accommodating a morning check in?

Also, does the distance from port with a bunch of luggage make a huge difference or should we look for something close to the ship?

Yes it does make a huge difference! Remember there are no cars or taxis once you leave the cruiseport area, so you have to take a boat and/or walk, and in many cases wheel your luggage considerable distances from the nearest dock.

You would be best off booking a hotel near the port--I know that Best Western Olimpia and several others are within easy range of the port using the people mover. Others will chime in with the right names, I'm sure. And almost all hotels in tourist areas in Europe will allow you to check in and store your luggage there until your room is ready--I have never had a hotel tell me I cannot do this!

If the hotel can't provide an early check in they will be able to store your luggage for you so that you can enjoy the day.

If you can't easily manage your luggage, you will need to take a taxi. And land travel ends at Piazzale Roma which is about a 5 minute drive from the pier. It's where all taxis and airport buses drop off/pick up passengers. There are 2 hotels in P Roma where you can be dropped at the door; Ca Doge and Santa Chiara. If you can manage a short walk and 1 bridge there are a few more options ... Best Western Olimpia, Arlecchino, Papadopoli. The map in this location will show their locations in relation to the pier and Piazzale Roma. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

If you want to stay in a different part of Venice another option would be to leave your luggage at the Left Luggage facility in Piazzale Roma. Take an overnight bag, and catch a water bus to whichever location you wish. Lots of info in the veniceforvisitors link so take some time and look thru the site.

Try Hotel Locanda Salieri near Piazzale de Roma. Quiet area , plenty of eateries including excellent Trattoria in house. Book direct via Hotel website.

To get there People Mover to Piazzale de Roma . Then a short walk from Piazzale de Roma to Hotel .

Edited by kuldalai

• 4 weeks later...

Just be sure you know which port in Venice your cruise ship will disembark at. Due to new regulations being phased in for the port of Venice, some cruiseliners will no longer dock at the passenger terminal on the island of Venice, but will use a commercial dock on the mainland. If you dock on the mainland, it might be easier to stay at a hotel on the mainland and just take the train or bus to Venice island for site seeing without any luggage.

Just be sure you know which port in Venice your cruise ship will disembark at. Due to new regulations being phased in for the port of Venice, some cruiseliners will no longer dock at the passenger terminal on the island of Venice, but will use a commercial dock on the mainland. If you dock on the mainland, it might be easier to stay at a hotel on the mainland and just take the train or bus to Venice island for site seeing without any luggage.

Yeah, I've tried calling Celebrity to see if they anticipate us still docking in Venice and all I get from them is "your reservation states that your last port is in Venice so that is where you will port" :confused:

I guess we will just wait and see what happens when the Med cruises start sailing this spring/summer.

Edited by MissBreezy

When we had a last day in Venice until our early flight the next day after disembarking we checked our luggage in I believe the Piazalle Roma - lots of people doing this, very efficient and reasonably priced for the day. We then caught the vaporetto into Venice and had a wonderful day. After retrieving our luggage (there is a last time pickup posted) we took the bus (I think the #5) to the Courtyard Venice Airport (clean, well run hotel) right on the road between Venice and the airport where we stayed the night. They had a free shuttle to the airport the next morning - it worked out perfectly for us. You may want to consider this.

I almost never recommend chain hotels in Europe, but if you have an early morning flight, the Marriott is a great option. We had a fun and very inexpensive meal at Crazy Pizzeria right down the street, too.

Totally agree, but this was for one night to get to the airport on time for a very reasonable room rate. And we also ate there and met some very nice Australians also heading to the airport the next day.

Stayed one extra day in Venice after disembarking Celebrity Shilouette last year. DH and I are unable to carry bags and I use a walker so we stayed at Santa Chiara Hotel just at the end of the people mover from the ship. we took a cab there for a minimum amt of $$ and they let us leave our bags at 10:00 AM. We were lucky and could get to our room but they would have put the bags there if we didn't want to go up. This hotel does have an elevator. some in Venice do not. It is at the very beginning of the Grand Canal and all of the Vaparretto stop just a few feet away from the door. Great breakfast room with view of Grand Canal for a nice breakfast before you go to the airport the next day. You can get a cab right around the corner from the hotel, redcap will bring your bags up.