Skagway Goldrush cemetery

fischymom

When we go to Skagway we would like to stop at the Skagway Goldrush cemetery, how long should I give us to get there and how long to walk around? We would like to take the White pass railroad at the 12:40 ride so just trying to figure out what time we should leave to see everything but not rush. We get into port at like 7 am and stay in port till I believe 8:30pm. Thanks so much.

Are you walking there? Allow 45 minutes round trip for getting there and back. An hour is a lot of time to look around. Adding the walk to Reid's Falls is 30 minutes. Can easily do this in the morning, IF you don't want to do anything else. The SMART bus does get you closer if you want to consider taking that. A highlight with time is the Park Service Visitor site. Excellent informative walking tours, ranger talks, movie, some exhibits. Time spent here is usually enjoyed by many. Will need to determine your interests.

The community of Skagway itself is rather flat. We met a couple on a Alaska cruise several years ago who had walked from the pier to the cemetery with no problem, despite the fact that the woman was scheduled for a hip replacement once they returned home.

The other interesting Skagway cemetery is the one in the old townsite Dyea. This is the one which has the victims of the avalanche of April 3, 1898.

The community of Skagway itself is rather flat. We met a couple on a Alaska cruise several years ago who had walked from the pier to the cemetery with no problem, despite the fact that the woman was scheduled for a hip replacement once they returned home.

The other interesting Skagway cemetery is the one in the old townsite Dyea. This is the one which has the victims of the avalanche of April 3, 1898.

I have walked it. I like walking down Broadway, moving over to State when the road ends, and then returning on Alaska, seeing the airport and school along the way. :)

Thanks for the info everyone! I am thinking that even if we leave at like 9am we will have 3.5 hours to get there and check out the cemetery before we need to be back. I thought it would be fun to tour the town somewhat when we walk too. I just wanted to have some idea :rolleyes: