Pre-Cruise Accom. in Kemah or Clear Lake?

lululadies

Hi everyone... this is my first post on the Cruise Critic boards although I have used it in the past by reading other threads to gain much valuable information.

I am travelling with DH, 2 kids (12 and 9) and 2 grandparents to HOU for a Princess cruise in March 2014. We arrive on a Wednesday night and our cruise departs on Saturday morning... we have all day Thursday and Friday to spend in the area.

Our original thought was to rent a car at the airport and drive to Galveston and stay for a few days pre-cruise... now I am wondering if that is worth the time -- we understand it's a beautiful area but now looking at times/traffic etc. I am second guessing the original plan? I've learned that Kemah and Clear Lake look to be good places to stay with some things to do to keep us busy and tour around a bit before we depart on our cruise.

Was hoping to get some good family friendly (nice pool, amenities etc.) rec's for hotels/resorts in the area as well as ideas of things to do. I think my kids would maybe enjoy the NASA tour?

I am also wondering if anyone can help with how I should handle our transportation. We will def. rent a car at HOU when we land, we will keep it until our departure from Bayport on Saturday but what would be our best option to return?? I am thinking DH can drop the 5 of us off at Bayport on Saturday am and drive back to HOU to return the car then cab or shuttle (if that's a possibility?) back to Bayport to get on the ship.

Any thoughts, suggestions or insights are appreciated. We are from BC, Canada and are just as excited for our few days around Houston as we are for our cruise!

Thanks so much :)

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for you, except to say that my son & I have *loved* touring NASA since he was little, and still do! Never get tired of it. And we love the Kemah Boardwalk too!

If you haven't already, be sure and click to www.visitbayareahouston.com for a wealth of info on where to stay, what to do, and where to eat in the area. They even have a whole section devoted to cruising from the area.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and have a great cruise!! :)

-gina-

Assuming you are flying into Hobby airport (HOU as the big airport is IAH and north of Houston) you will be south of downtown and easy access to both the Clear Lake (NASA)/Seabrook (keemah boardwalk) area and Galveston. Hobby is only about 30 min from the island. (You will be south of most of the traffic and it is an easy drive down I45 to the island.). I would spend a day at each. Do NASA during the day and the Keemah boardwalk at night. Then spend a day on the island. Moody Gardens is a nice place to visit with kids (and I am not afraid to admit I pop down now and then by myself). Having a car you can cruise the island as well (zit really isn't that big). Having a car both areas are close enough to visit both. Staying on the island or near Bayport is up to you as it really doesn't matter much because you will have a car. I'm sure "Galveston cruiser" will be able to provide more in depth info on the island as she(hoping I have this right) lives down there.

Your plan of dropping the car and taxi back will work and probably not a bad idea.

We are actually flying into IAH... sorry, I realize now there are 2 airports in Houston.

Thanks for the suggestions so far... would love some hotel rec's in the area, maybe something close to the boardwalk, shopping nearby? Pool is a must, we are travelling with kids ;)

Thanks for the compliment Trucker Dave.

Staying in Galveston is a great option with Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn and the beach as kid friendly places.

Many hotels on the beach front - check addresses to be sure they are Seawall Blvd.

Nice resorts include San Luis Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn and the Galvez, all on the seawall.

Enjoy!

As for a rental car, I know that Enterprise has a location on Bayport Blvd. in Seabrook and I believe they'll give your DH a ride back to the terminal.

My DW and I live in the Clear Lake area so we don't stay in the hotels and can't give you much help on that experience. One exception to this is The South Shore Harbor Resort in League City on the South side of the lake. It's got a pool, boating, a golf course plus it's a short drive to the Boardwalk and NASA. There's also the Hilton Clear Lake across the street from NASA and on the lake. One other option would be The Boardwalk Inn on the Kemah Boardwalk. These would be the top of the line in the area as far as cost, amenities and location but with the exception of The South Shore Harbor Resort we haven't slept in them.

If it's a better price you're looking for the area is full of most of the major hotel / motel brands and as long as you're in the Clear Lake area I can't think of a bad location or street.

With the kids, the two options you've already mentioned should be great and take up most of your two days. One day to tour Space Center Houston with all it's kid friendly interaction then one day at the Kemah Boardwalk with all the rides and carnival attractions should leave you with two tired kidos.

The poster above is also correct that Galveston island only 30 minutes from the Clear Lake area so you'll also have access to all the island attractions. Just remember that in March it's still a little too cool in the Gulf or for outdoor non-heated pools. Unlike Florida, the Jetstream can still bring us a cold front in March.