Warning: Airport Transfers (London)

We used Airport Transfers (http://www.airporttransfer.biz) for our transfers in London and to Harwich. Because of a problem last year that we thought was a misunderstanding between Airport Transfers and the individual who made the arrangements, I made it very clear in my email requests and follow-up phone calls exactly what we expected (comfortable vehicle and trailer). Service from Heathrow/London (just us) and from London/Harwich for seven was good. The vehicles were what I ordered and we had no problem.

When Airport Transfers arrived to pick us up at Harwich, the driver had a 15-seat van with no air conditioning and no luggage trailer (exactly what they did last year). When I asked where the trailer was, the driver said he wasn't instructed to bring one. He jammed all our luggage into the back of the van and crammed 9 of us into the very small, hard seats without any leg room. We felt like sardines being shipped to market. The owner was also at Harwich picking up another group, so I complained very loudly about the van. He laughed as he helped our driver try to get even more luggage into the back of our van. When we asked about air conditioning, the driver told us to open the windows! The driver didn't even know the terminal where we needed to be dropped off and said if anyone had a different terminal they could take the bus to it . . . I don't think so!

When we got home, I called Airport Transfers and requested a refund for the trailer that was not sent. The owner tried to joke about it but I made it clear it wasn't funny and that I intended to post a warning about his company on this board. He agreed to credit me for the trailer, but that doesn't help those who trusted me to make the arrangements and were uncomfortable. I would not recommend Airport Transfers. I believe it's a scam with Americans because he doesn't think they'll ever be back. He pockets the extra money he charged and laughs all the way to the bank.

Thank you for taking the time to post this warning for others, like me, who will be going to London in 2 weeks. Sorry to hear that things were not as you worked out with them ahead of time. That is frustrating and to hear that the owner laughed must have been even worse.

I have booked with Just Airports to pick us up at Gatwick and take us to our hotel in London. They responded quickly to that request. But I have not heard back yet from my second online request to be taken to Heathrow later in the week. I emailed them 2 days ago to ask about it again, and I still have not heard back. I will try again today.

Ginny

PS How about posting this on the Britain boards, too. Thanks!

Jean,

Thanks for posting this because I was in the van with you and I can attest to it's validity. I'm done using Airport Transfers and those whore are considering them think again. There are too many other companies that deliver what they promise and what you pay for and this is not one of them.

Just to update, I did another online booking with Justairports.com and they did reply quickly to it. I think the other request got ignored for some reason. I will report our experiences with them when we get back mid August. We have two pick ups booked with them so far.

Ginny

Hello.

I'm very sad to hear this report about airporttransfers. I have used them 4 times in the past and had excellent service. I would not have hesitated to use them again.

This has given me pause since I was planning to contact them in the next week or so to arrange for our transfers at the end of August. One slight difference may be that we are only two people travelling with not a lot of luggage, so basically any car will work for us.

So sorry to hear that the service was not what you expected.

:-) amcb

I used them twice and both times they pulled the same thing on the return.

The first time it's a mistake and the second time it's intentional and there will be no third time. I found it interestering that he prints all that stuff on his web site and then proceeds to rip us off. Oh well, live and learn.

Some freinds I met on the Jewel of the Seas got stranded at Gatwick by a company called ADLG of course they had been charged and tried the number only to find no reply. The cruise line got a solution for them but at greater expense. I arranged with the guys I use to get them back to London on their return. As mentioned in a previous post there should be a list of recomended companies on the site to assist travellers. So for the pick seems to be : Central Chauffeur, Woodford, Just Airports & Airporttransfers (present company excepted.) Perhaps the moderators could arrange for a list for all world destinations? I know we all have our favorites but anothers view is always helpful. From a legal standpoint if you asked in writing for a specific service eg vehicle with aircon and did not get it challenge it with your credit card company. It is technically a breach of contract.

Archived