New Orleans hotels...near port with air shuttle

topaz123

Probably seen a post like this ...but........Hotel with free airport shuttle and shuttle to cruise. Good extra would be close to sites, etc.....never been to NO, so hopin to make this a real fun trip.:)

If not mistaken, I read the other day that Ramada Metraire had shuttles to/from airport/port.

I booked a hotel in downtown, 1 block away from Bourbon Street, so a taxi to the ship will take less than 5 minutes. I might even walk. Will see.

That basically doesn't exist in New Orleans. The airport is in Kenner so you can find a hotel with a free shuttle for hotels in Kenner or Metairie but that is not close to the port or sites (Kenner and Metairie or suburbs of New Orleans). The hotels that are close to the sites don't offer free shuttles. If a hotel does have a free shuttle to the cruise port, they probably aren't in the area close to the sites so they are offering an incentive to get people to stay there.

Basically, if the price of the hotel is high, it is probably in a very good location without any perks. If the price is low with the extras, it is probably not the best location. There are always "specials" and exceptions to this rule, but they are unlikely.

Most of the hotels near the Quarter will not have shuttles, but will have cheap taxi fares to the port. Most of the hotels near the airport will have free shuttles, but will have expensive cab fares to the port.

If you stay at a hotel with a free airport shuttle and can schedule a cruise line shuttle from the airport, it might be the best deal, but you'll have to cab it down to the quarter for the night before activities.

Bite the bullet, book a room in the Garden district, CBD or quarter, and just chill down there until the morning of the cruise and take another taxi to the port.

Thanks for the help...ok, what are some hotels in these other districts you mentioned that offer airport shuttle. We could then find some package to the port on cruise day,etc. Hey, tip of the hat for the help....thanks for the ideas!!:)

Here is a link to the Greater New Orleans area(Below). If you locate the airport (on the left of map) you will see Veterans Memorial Hwy that will run east from the airport. My opinion is to find a hotel along Veterans Hwy or right off of Veterans Hwy or on Causeway Blvd. You can see that the closer you go to the east, the closer you will be to the Crescent City Connection (The Mississippi River Bridge, its labeled on map) but it is not a direct route, as you can see. Basically, the cruise ships leave from the area right by the Crescent City Connection, so that is where you will board the ship. I would definitely avoid Chef Menteur Hwy. By looking at the map, it may look like a closer option but that is New Orleans East and you do not want to stay there or even drive through that area. The hotels are concentrated along Veterans Hwy (or right off of this hwy) which is in Kenner and Metairie, and in the French Quarter, downtown, and CBD (close to FQ) which is New Orleans. The hotels in Metairie and Kenner are most likely to have airport shuttles. You would have to do a search or go to Tripadvisor and search Metairie hotels. I have never stayed in hotels there so I can't give a first hand account. The hotels are your basic chain hotels. There are lots of reviews on tripadvisor. You would have to call or go to the hotels website to see if they have a free shuttle. I honestly don't think that trying to choose a hotel that is slightly closer to the port will make a difference. It is a good idea but in theory, won't work because the hotels are concentrated in certain areas. One might be closer to the port but one in Kenner might be closer to an interstate ramp.

http://www.tulane.edu/~naoc-02/GREATER_NEW_ORLEANS_2.pdf

Edited by World Gallery

Great help.....you really gave us some options and great thoughts! We went ahead and booked EMBSSY ( had a business discount #). One last thought ...what is a cabride from this hotel to port? Any ideas on the Embassy area..it's listed as wharehouse district. First trip to NO....thank you again!

That is an ideal area in regards to getting to the port. You are very close to the French Quarter but not in it. There is a chance you may even be able to walk to the port if a certain gate is open. I copied and pasted a link below but not sure if it will work. It is for directions from the hotel to the "Julia Street Cruise Terminal, Port of New Orleans Place" (name of cruise terminal all cruise ships leave from). If you can't open it, just go to Google Maps and type in the hotel address with Julia St Cruise Terminal. As you can see from the map, if you take a cab, you will have to take a right from the hotel, make a left turn and then enter the terminal (only one way in by car). If the gate is open for walkers, you can literally walk out of your hotel, walk straight down Julia St, cross Convention Center Blvd. and keep walking right into the terminal. Very easy either way, on foot or taxi. If you take a taxi, my guess would be about $8 to $10 per taxi (not per person) but you can ask the hotel staff when you get there. They can let you know what is the best option that day.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http://maps.google.com/help/maps/directions/driving/mapleft.kml&f=d&dirflg=d

Edited by World Gallery

Carnival sails from the Erato street terminal. It will be a bit more of a walk, but it's next door to the Julia street terminal. When you cross the streetcar/railroad tracks, take a right and go down to the rust-red looking building, that's where Carnival Dream will sail from.

Thanks WLHyatt. I didn't even realize the terminals had different names. I have sailed from both but since they are smack next to each other, I didn't realize.

So if you can enter the gates on Julia St., you will take a right and walk for about 2 minutes. There will be lots of people around. I remember when we used the gates, there were porters close by the gates that took our luggage.

Edited by World Gallery