Liquor purchases

Giantfan13

We are sailing on the Carnival Splendor out of NY in February. Are there any restrictions as to the amount of Liquor one can purchase and take back on the ship, duty free in any of the Bahamas ports?

If memory holds when we were in St Thomas in the Virgin Isles, there was no restrictions as long as the liquor was from that particular island. It has been a few years, but I think that was the case. I believe otherwise, you are restricted to one bottle per person. Is any of this still correct.

How are the prices for liquor in the Bahamas?

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

We are sailing on the Carnival Splendor out of NY in February. Are there any restrictions as to the amount of Liquor one can purchase and take back on the ship, duty free in any of the Bahamas ports?

If memory holds when we were in St Thomas in the Virgin Isles, there was no restrictions as long as the liquor was from that particular island. It has been a few years, but I think that was the case. I believe otherwise, you are restricted to one bottle per person. Is any of this still correct.

How are the prices for liquor in the Bahamas?

Cheers

Len

2 litres per adult is allowed. Prices are usually very good, especially rum.

2 litres per adult is allowed. Prices are usually very good, especially rum.

Thanks very much.

If you don't mind another question on a different topic, instead of starting a new thread.

What about cell phone use. Are calls from the Bahamas considered 'foreign calls and subject to special rates?

Cheers

Len

Thanks very much.

If you don't mind another question on a different topic, instead of starting a new thread.

What about cell phone use. Are calls from the Bahamas considered 'foreign calls and subject to special rates?

Cheers

Len

Yes, generally speaking, most carriers charge anywhere from $2.29 - $2.99 per minute for both incoming and outgoing calls (as well as missed calls).

and $.50 per txt.

Check you provider, you'll need to turn on International service (about $5per month) in order to use your phone.

Not all services can be used here. ATT and t mobile usually get some service, Verizon, not so much.

Data is VERY expensive, so turn it of (off when roaming) when in port.

Bahamas cell service is not very reliable, so have a back up plan. Skype via wifi from internet cafes, or buy a batelco phone card and use from a pay phone

Edited by scubagirrl

The rum prices are excellent and you can bring as much as you want back to the ship, the limit is on what you can bring back to the usa duty free. The duty is not prohibitive so even if you have to pay it it's still much cheaper for rum. Other spirits the prices are mediocre in the bahamas. Total Wine has similar prices to the cruise ships and the bahamian stores other than on rum. I recommend Barbancourt, which is a Haitian rum, you can get some very good rum at about half the best US price.

When you bring it back onto the ship, do they take it and hold it until you depart on the last day? Or can you drink it in your cabin on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From past experiences, they take it and deliver it back to your cabin the night before you are to disembark.

If not, how would they make all their money on the drink they sell. Everyone would be drinking their own stuff.

Cheers

Len