Which Ship For Grills

Belfastlad

I am wanting to book a birthday present 'surprise cruise' for my partner and would appreciate your help in choosing which ship to experience the queens grill. Am really considering Queen Mary as we have not sailed on her yet. Also which level of queens grill. Are the Q1's really worth going the extra mile for? Am wanting this to be really speical as I shall be popping the question, shhhhhh don't tell anyone.;) Many thanks in advance.:)

I am wanting to book a birthday present 'surprise cruise' for my partner and would appreciate your help in choosing which ship to experience the queens grill. Am really considering Queen Mary as we have not sailed on her yet. Also which level of queens grill. Are the Q1's really worth going the extra mile for? Am wanting this to be really speical as I shall be popping the question, shhhhhh don't tell anyone.;) Many thanks in advance.:)

Im surprised that after over 100 views no one has commented on this! anyway first of all good luck with popping the question and I hope your partner will say yes.

I think it really depends on where you want to go, the QE and QV are cruise ships and the QM2 is a liner.

That being said the Grills deck/restaurant/ lounge areas are much better located on the QV/QE than the QM2. The QG suites on the QM2 tend to be bigger and I have been lucky enough to stay in a Q5, Q4 and Q2 duplex. The Duplex was amazing ascetically but actually staying in it was not so good, no privacy on the balcony and noise from the deck above being the main problems. In the future we will stay in the Q4 or Q5.

I have stayed in a Q1 on both the QE and QV, the suites are amazing and the balcony on the QV is huge!

The QV is my favourite ship and the Q1 suites are amazing however the QM2 is one of a kind and I highly recommend a transatlantic crossing. There really is something very special about crossing the atlantic on a cunard liner!

I think you need to decide on what type of cruise you want to do and then pick a suite that suites your needs. Booking one of the top suites will make it more special but I wouldn't recommend a duplex on the QM2.

I think almost every suite is viewable on youtube.

Good Luck

Another consideration, you don't say which cruise you are interested in. For a Transatlantic Crossing I would personally only take QM2. The pounding we felt (along with shaking) on QV in the Caribbean tells me I would not enjoy the Vistas on a Crossing. Just my own opinion so all you that have crossed on QV, don't bother trying to reform me.:eek: That said, I agree that the Grills on QV/QE are much better situated and provide a more private experience. If I were sailing in a warm/calm area, no doubt I would prefer QG on Vick & Betty.:D:D

I'm not surprised. All it means is that not all that many of us have been in Q1s.

I see your point, but thats not really what I was getting at. What I meant was it is unusual for people not to post their opinions on all aspects of Cunard travel including the benefits of the grills. :)

I see your point, but thats not really what I was getting at. What I meant was it is unusual for people not to post their opinions on all aspects of Cunard travel including the benefits of the grills. :)

Of course. How could I believe that people would fail to post opinions about a subject of which they know nothing? How silly of me!

I have to agree with Jim Avery, in that the restaurants on QV & QE for the Grills guests are really lovely; the location far more superior than the QM2. On a warm weather cruise it is very pleasant to eat in the Courtyard, and the sun decks are spacious!

Can't comment on QM2 Vs QV/QE because we've avoided QM2 on the basis that it is jsut two big for us.

We've only gone transatlantic twice, but QE was just fine, even when we were scuttling away from a hurricane that QM2 was battering into and throwing everyone about. Some people like that stuff, apparently.

But cabins - We've done Q7 (now renamed Q6), Q4, Q3 and Q1. The Q1's are an experience everyone should have once in their lifetime, but to be frank, the difference isn't worth the price at full brochure numbers. If you can get a fat discount and have the cash to splurge, go for it.

Apaprently QM2 QG cabins vary in size with grade, but others can advise on this.

On QV/QE the Q6 and Q5 are effectively the same and all you are paying for is deck level. Q6/Q5/Q1 are at the stern so if you are going on one of those "cruise ships" and worry about a bit of up and down, you might prefer to go for Q4/Q3/Q2 which are more centrally located. There are only two Q2 cabins and they tend to book up very quickly, which indicates to me that they are a bit of a favourite.

Fairly recently the Q1-Q7 cabins were all the same price on a UK travel site. The P1-4's were 1,000 pounds cheaper than the Q's, but also all priced the same. We booked and paid the deposit for a Q1 ( there were 3 available) and waited for the "sorry, it was a mistake" call from the online TA. A call came the following day only to confirm our cc details.

Talking to our next door and downstairs neighbours once onboard, 3 of the 4 Q1's got the same deal as us and one paid full price (circa 40,000 pounds, I think). I broached this over cocktails on a subsequent cruise with the onboard voyage sales lady and her eyes just glazed over. I just wanted to know if Cunard does this from time to time, and whether I could expect it in the future. From her reaction I have surmised that it was a mistake fare, but no one ever said a thing to us, then or since.

You might be lucky!

To actually answer your question, we think the QG experience is heightened on the vista class ships, but friends prefer the size of the QM2. Horses for courses. You ask if the Q1's are worth it and I would say that on the QV they are, but the Q2's are great as well (maybe even superior from a position standpoint). I have a more fulsome discussion of PG/QG in another thread, and so I will not repeat it here. Either way you go, I cannot think of a better way to pop the question, and I wish you all the best for your future together. What a way to start!

KB

Edited by Kiltboys
atroshus speling