Labadee Kayaking

Hello!

I posted this on the "Ports" site and have yet to even have one reply from last week! Can anyone here help me?

THANK YOU!

Hey Everyone!

My husband is thinking of doing the kayaking in Labadee, but he's really undecided. We've heard a bits of information both positive and negative for this excursion. Does the kayaking path take you too close for comfort to the "bad" side of Haiti. This was one complaint someone had made to us. Also, are you forced to get out of the kayak where people try to sell you things? Can anyone that has gone on this excursion tell me what they thought of the experience and if it's worth it?

Thank you so much!

OK Everyone! Don't answer these all at once!

Here are some specific questions I have about kayaking. Apparently this is not too popular of an excursion, since it seems no one can answer any questions on it! :o)

Here's my last ditch effort to get DH's questions answered. Here they are:

1. How deep is the water that you are kayaking in in Labadee?

2. Do you wear a life vest/jacket and a helmet? If you are not required to do so, can you obtain one if you'd feel more comfortable?

3. Are the kayaks easily tipped over?

4. Is it easy for someone that has never kayaked (is that a word?!) before, or do you not suggest this to someone that would be a first-timer?

5. It seems like there are two different times to pick from. Do you suggest the earlier or later. If you pick one over the other, will it interfere with the barbecue and will you miss the food?

We'd really appreciate any assistance with these quesetions!

Thanks alot!

We were recently on Labadee but didn't do the kayaking. Labadee is beautiful and the people running the parasailing and jet skis were very helpful to beginners so I would imagine that the kayak leaders would be equally patient and helpful. The day we were there, the people on the last jet ski tour had a much shortened ride because the tours were running behind and they still had to catch that last tender at 3:30. So I would book earlier in the day if possible.

Hi,

I can help! My husband I did this excursion in May. We had a great time. We were also a bit apprehensive too because I am a klutz and were afraid I would tip us - that didn't happen. I'll try to answer your questions -

1. Not sure how deep the water is - some parts looked deep and in other areas you pass close to a reef. However, the guides are careful to keep you away from this area.

2. Yes, we wore a lifejacket. No helmet. Sorry, not sure if helmets were available. We were not offered one though.

3. It FEELS like the kayaks would easily tip over, but like I said before, I'm a klutz and we did not tip (and that was our first kayak adventure).

4. My husband and I were both first timers as I previously mentioned. I'm very strong but not in great shape and it was not that difficult. Additionally, there were several "breaks" during the trip (i.e. the guide would stop at certain points and we would all hold onto each others kayaks while being told about the history of Labadee).

5. We booked the excursion for 11:00AM and were back sometime around 1PM and we did not miss lunch.

I would personally suggest an earlier time for this excursion since the sun is SO intense in Labadee.

It was a great excursion!

Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you have any other questions.

Deborah

hugabasset@aol.com

It has been awhile since my husband and I did the Labadee kayaking, but I wouldn't recommend it! We had previously done kayaking at Coco Cay, and this didn't compare at all to how great Coco Cay was. The guide was horrible, just sort of paddled ahead and we couldn't hear much from the tour. They then "hijacked" us to a beach area that was on Haiti. Yes, it really was Haiti and not Labadee! Local people were selling things at this stop. Finally we were able to get back into the kayaks and get back to Labadee.

My teenagers and I did the kayak tour at Labadee in June 2003 and got on the last tour of the day. We had a great guide (scuba dive instructor from the ship VOS), and he told us a lot about the area as well as some very interesting things about the ship. We have kayaked alot, including a good bit of whitewater, and we found it relaxing except for a few races with my son, who was in a single kayak. We did stop at a little cove where some of the locals were selling things, and we just looked. They really weren't that pushy - I didn't buy anything and wish I had bought one of the small stone turtles for my garden.

I would go on an early morning tour next time, but we enjoyed it just the same.

We did the Labadee Kayaking last August, 2004. It was great, my 15 yr old has kayaked a lot, but my 10 yr old, husband and I had not and we had no problem. Of course, I sent the 10 yr old with his dad and I went with my 15 yr old son (who did make comments on my kayaking abilities - lolk).

Anyway, it was just nice to be out on the water in a kayak, and yes we did have to pull into a beach with some locals selling stuff and of course my 10 yr old had to buy a necklace. I didn't really like that part - but it's the same on all the islands. If you can deal with that - you'll enjoy the excursion. It's kind of peaceful.

I confirm the earlier answers you received, have no idea of depth of water, but you could see the bottom from time to time, there are life vests you have to wear, no helments, no one capsized. Go early, then go have lunch and later snorke to cool off!!!

Hi,

I see from my previous post that I did forget to mention that small beach that the guides took you to with the locals selling their trinkets. No big deal though. They were very nice and you say no thanks and they won't bother you again. The area is beautiful.

Have a great cruise,

Deborah

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all the details- Chelsea17 (Deborah), thank you especially for the e-mail address. My husband is thinking up more questions for you as we speak...er, type!

You all have been so helpful. I knew that I could count on all of you!

We took the kayak tour in Labadee in September 2004. Honestly, we wouldn't do it again. The kayaking part was nice, we just sort of followed the coastline for a while and it was pretty and all. We were required to wear lifejackets. The kayaks are two-seaters and seemed about the same level of stability as every other kayak I've been on.

There were a few things we didn't like. We spent a significant portion of our trip with only one, maybe two, feet of water below us before there was reef. Had we capsized, we would have been cut to pieces on the reef. The second thing we hated, and which was NOT listed on the description of the tour, was the stop we were required to make at a little beach. As we pulled up, the beach was lined with people ready to grab your kayak and pull you into shore, and nothing you said would stop them. Then they expected a tip for pulling you in and expected you to buy something from their shop. We said no thank you, politely, several times, before we just headed out into the water with our backs to the shore because we were being badgered. We were even yelled at by one person who thought we should purchase his wares. I had to fight with someone to put our kayak back into the water ourselves, because he wanted to do it for a tip.

Honestly, I was very uncomfortable with the situation at the beach. Others seem to have had better experiences, and I'm glad. But we wouldn't do it again. It was the only time on our cruise I ever felt threatened (I am not sensitive to being "urged" to purchase things, and have no problem just saying no thank you and moving along). I'm glad others had different experiences but we wouldn't do it again!

My experience was similar to Snoopy123's. Took the tour 11/03. The guide didn't offer too much information and I found the water very murky - glad I didn't tip. I seem to recall there being some single kayaks as well but could be mistaken. Also had that same experience at the shore where I felt hijacked by the natives. I didn't even get out of my boat - I just paddled right back out and headed back to the starting point - while the "guide" was yelling at me.

My son & I did it last year. Go on the earlier excursion. Yes, it's true you wear life vests, The water is very calm. You don't need helmets or great skill. I found our guides informative. As far as the stop on the island, tell them you didn't bring cash. No problem. By the way, I never thought to tip the guides. I suppose I should have?

Archived