MSC Cruise versus RCCI

usateg

Good afternoon all,

I am currently booked on the Splendour of the Seas in Nov '14 going to the Greek Islands. I am always looking for other deals & found a cruise that looks interesting. It is with MSC Cruises going to the Mediterranean on the MSC Poescia. It is 9 nights vs 7 on RCCL.

I am wondering if anybody can give me feedback on MSC Cruises. I am a Diamond member on RCCL & of course from the USA. Looking at MSC it seems like it is very European. Has any American travelled on MSC Cruises in Europe & what did you think about it. Would we be comfortable or should I stick with what I know, which is RCCL

Thank you

Good afternoon all,

I am currently booked on the Splendour of the Seas in Nov '14 going to the Greek Islands. I am always looking for other deals & found a cruise that looks interesting. It is with MSC Cruises going to the Mediterranean on the MSC Poescia. It is 9 nights vs 7 on RCCL.

I am wondering if anybody can give me feedback on MSC Cruises. I am a Diamond member on RCCL & of course from the USA. Looking at MSC it seems like it is very European. Has any American travelled on MSC Cruises in Europe & what did you think about it. Would we be comfortable or should I stick with what I know, which is RCCL

Thank you

Hello.

Very difficult choice, to be honest. They are two of the best companies of cruises in the world. I got a cruise with both and I only can say, thank you. Unforgettable.

I had to make the choice to..for the same time and cruise as you....I .went for MSC ...in the yacht club..will definantly report ...let us know what you choose ..to stay with RCI or switch..I havent given up on my fav line..but Im open to be swayed..hahahaa:D

Good afternoon all,

Thank you

I prefer RCCL but I cant say P&O are bad ships. For me there is not too much difference.

Thank you all for for your input (especially you Jessabella :)). As it turns out I found a pretty good deal on the MSC Divina. It is a 2 night cruise to the Bahamas in May 2014 (right before it does the 19 day transatlantic to Rio De Janeiro) & since I am only 1 1/2 hours away from the Port Of Miami I went ahead & booked this cruise. This will give me a "sampling" of an MSC cruise. Of course the Divina is very "Americanized" but at least I am getting a taste of MSC cruises.

Edited by usateg

Good afternoon all,

Thank you

We've cruised all the major lines, including the MSC Poesia, and MSC is our least favorite because:

- smallest cabins

- no 'anytime' dining, only set times

- no table water at dinner in Europe, have to buy bottled water. (Table water is provided in No. America.)

- not allowed to bring onboard any wine at embarkation

- crew do not get all the gratuities, some skimmed off for management

- lately MSC has been cancelling some cruises or changing the dates only a few weeks from departure day ... see that thread here

One of the 3 largest cruise vendors in the USA (CruCon) has stopped selling MSC cruises, saying there are too many hassles for their customers. For our MSC cruise MSC tried a bait and switch to upgrade us ... made an offer then refused to proceed w/o more money, we declined. Posts about bad customer service are everywhere.

We thought the Poesia was a pretty ship but did not have any special features to attract us that some other ships have ... wave pool, rock wall, ice rink, themed buffet sections, that sort of thing. Food and staff were ok.

MSC offers some of the best prices right now, the Divina on July 14 for 19 days from Rio to Miami for about $1000 is great for a combo of South America and the Caribb, ya just have to be prepared for problems, and have a Plan B.

-Bob