waterproof camera necessary?

sambamama

I am sailing on A Vancouver mid May 7 night cruise to Alaska. It sails May 14, and returns May 21. I need to get a camera for the trip. Is a waterproof camera necessary? Is a waterproof one helpful? Are there low cost options around this? I probably am buying a budget point and shoot camera-no more than $300 or so. Thanks!

I didn't have a waterproof point and shoot camera on my last Alaskan cruise and it was fine. I personally don't think you need a waterproof one unless you're doing something in or near water with the possibility of the camera getting wet like rafting or kayaking. I bought a waterproof camera for a Caribbean cruise only because I wanted to take pictures while snorkeling. It's been 2 years now and I have never needed or see myself needing to use the waterproof feature ever again for the life of the camera except that 1 time.

But, with that being said, there are some nice point and shoot cameras around that are also waterproof. You just have to do your research on which cameras you like and whether you think the waterproof feature is important to you or not. I personally like Canon and Sony cameras but that's my preference. When I was deciding which waterproof camera to buy, I found some good info that others have posted doing comparisons in the "photo & camera discussions" forum under "Digital Photography & Cruise Technology".

I have a waterproof point and shoot. Yes, I go snorkeling once a year or so... but it's also nice to not have to worry when it rains or if I want to go kayaking or river tubing, etc.

Now that said - I also have a digital SLR. And I'm taking it to Alaska. You can buy "rain sleeves" that will protect the camera and not interfere with the functionality of the device.

Since you just want a simple camera that won't have an issue if it's raining - you can find something very decent for $150 or so.

Most camera manufacturers have at least one waterproof model available. You'll have to decide on features & functionality that you want and balance that with price point. I wouldn't suggest something close to $100 because the optics aren't going to be great. But you don't have to spend $300 either... those models have built in GPS, wifi transfer of pix to a computer or website, and other bells and whistles that are cool but don't change the quality of the pictures taken.

Visit the "Photo & Camera Discussions" section if you have other specific questions. There are lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks over there.

I personally don't think you need a waterproof one unless you're doing something in or near water with the possibility of the camera getting wet like rafting or kayaking.

I think this is excellent advice. I've been going to Alaska for years and I've never used a waterproof camera. I'm constantly out on fishing boats and pulling crab pots and anchors by hand and getting water all over me and I have yet to ruin a camera.

If you are planning on kayaking or rafting where there is a very good chance of getting drenched and you want to take pictures while you are doing these activities, then I think investing in a waterproof camera would be wise.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy a waterproof camera, then by all means buy a way. You need one ;)

Personally, I simply use my regular cameras and Ziplock bags. I carry a flip camcorder and a small point and shoot in my pocket when I am on the boat, because you never know when a sealion is going to pop up to steal a fish on the line or a whale surfaces next to you. I constantly get my pants all wet due to water on the crab and anchor lines. To keep my equipment safe, I simply wrap each one (and my cell phone) individually in quart sized Ziploc freezer bags. I've been doing this for years and never had an issue.

I often carry a larger Nikon Digital SLR. For that one, I simply keep it in the camera bag and if I take a picture when it is raining, I pull it out real quick and put it back. If I have the potential to be standing in the rain for hours with it like if I am hiking or during a parade, I'll use the Ziploc trick, except with gallon sized. I wrap the camera in one and my extra lens in another.