Carnival Mastercard Reward Question

tbrenk1973

• 1 year later...

I just called tonight (1/20/16) and was told for 20,000, I could get $200 OBC or $300 statement credit, as someone already stated above. MUCH better to use as statement credit. I now have 32,000 points, and the rep told me I could get at $450 credit for 30,000, so it's the same proportion.

I assume 50,000 points would be $750, but I never had this many. It wouldn't make sense for it to be $500, when you get $450 for 30,000 points!

My friend Patty saved to 100,000 points, and she got $1,500 off on her cruise PLUS $1,500 in statement credit last year.

The rep on the line tonight couldn't answer that question. She said it 'automatically appears for them when they put in how many points you have.'

For instance, I have 32,000 and she said I could use 30,000 for $450....that's all her computer would tell her.

They don't want you to know this!!!

Just remember this: You have to have cruised on Carnival within the last 18 months to get the 1.5x on your statement as a credit. That's CASH to me. Don't let the 18 months go by without redeeming for a statement credit is the GOAL.

I just called tonight (1/20/16) and was told for 20,000, I could get $200 OBC or $300 statement credit, as someone already stated above. MUCH better to use as statement credit. I now have 32,000 points, and the rep told me I could get at $450 credit for 30,000, so it's the same proportion.

I assume 50,000 points would be $750, but I never had this many. It wouldn't make sense for it to be $500, when you get $450 for 30,000 points!

My friend Patty saved to 100,000 points, and she got $1,500 off on her cruise PLUS $1,500 in statement credit last year.

The rep on the line tonight couldn't answer that question. She said it 'automatically appears for them when they put in how many points you have.'

For instance, I have 32,000 and she said I could use 30,000 for $450....that's all her computer would tell her.

They don't want you to know this!!!

Just remember this: You have to have cruised on Carnival within the last 18 months to get the 1.5x on your statement as a credit. That's CASH to me. Don't let the 18 months go by without redeeming for a statement credit is the GOAL.

Some of what you've said is correct, some is not. I think the rep you spoke to may have been confused. I've found Barclays reps don't always know what they are talking about.:o

You can find out for yourself (without calling a rep) how much of a statement credit you will get for the amount of points you have in a backwards kind of way by using the "how much will m

1. Go to the "Manage Rewards" tab (the one with the gift box icon) from your account summary page
  2. Click on "Start Using My FunPoints" (the big picture of the deck with hot tubs)
  3. Underneath "Pay with FunPoints", click on "How many "FunPoints" will I need to pay for my cruise?" (calculator).
  4. Then play with plugging in different numbers until the "purchase amount" brings up a FunPoints "cost" amount equal to what you currently have. The "purchase amount" is equivalent to the statement balance you'll get by cashing in that number of points.

Notice that a purchase amount of $1000 will cost you 100,000 FP. But a purchase amount of $1500 will also cost you 100,000 FP. $1500 is where the redemption rate changes. If you want to get the best bang for your FP, make sure you do it for amounts of $1500 or more.;)

Note - all these amounts I've discussed assume a Carnival Cruise Lines purchase. The redemption rates for the other cruise lines and hotel and airfare are not as good.

For the amounts you mentioned (as statement credits for Carnival purchases):

$300 would cost 30,000 FP

$320 would cost 32,000 FP

$450 would cost 45,000 FP

$500 would cost 50,000 FP

$750 would cost 75,000 FP

$1500 would cost 100,000 FP

Your friend definitely could have gotten a $1500 statement credit for her 100,000 FP, but only once - she couldn't have gotten $1500 off her cruise twice for that same 100,000 points. There must be some confusion there.

Also, the redemption window for a qualified purchase is only 180 days (about 6 months), not 18 months.

Here's the info, straight from the card's website (can be found by clicking "Using My FunPoints"):

"Redeem your FunPoints for statement credits toward travel purchases of $50 or more on Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Costa Cruises, The Cunard Line or The Yachts of Seabourn or for hotel stays and airfare. And remember, you have 180 days to pay yourself back for a statement credit toward eligible purchases! Statement credit redemptions start at 5,000 FunPoints."

I hope I've helped clarify things.:o

You can find out for yourself (without calling a rep) how much of a statement credit you will get for the amount of points you have in a backwards kind of way by using the "how much will m

:oI'm sorry, that part should say "by using the 'How many FunPoints Will I Need To Pay For My Cruise?' Calculator". This is what happens when I start typing before my first cup of tea in the morning.:rolleyes:

We recently got the Barclay's Carnival Master Card....in reading the small print, it looks like travel insurance is included if you book your trip with this card. Am I reading this correctly?

We recently got the Barclay's Carnival Master Card....in reading the small print, it looks like travel insurance is included if you book your trip with this card. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, I believe there is insurance included. The details are listed on the website.

Click the "Manage Rewards" tab, then the "My Card Benefits" tab (picture of 2 ladies leaning on the ship's railing), then the "travel" tab (icon of airplane), and you'll see this:

No Foreign Transaction Fees

No foreign transaction fees on anything you buy while in another country.

Trip Cancellation & Interruption Insurance

If your covered trip is cancelled or shortened, know that you have trip cancellation and interruption insurance to cover reimbursement. Additional terms apply.

Global Assistance Services

Provides worldwide, 24-hour assistance with Lost and Stolen Card Reporting, Emergency Card Replacement, and Emergency Cash Advance.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

Accidents happen. Learn more about the coverage your card offers for theft or damage.

World MasterCard Concierge

Enjoy your own personal assistant 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You have an expert awaiting your request!

Chip Card Technology

Enjoy global acceptance with your chip-enabled card so you can make purchases while abroad as easily as you do at home.

Travel Assistance Services

Rely on Travel Assistance when you're away from home, especially reassuring when you visit a place for the first time or do not speak the language.

Baggage Delay Insurance

Travel securely knowing that your card offers baggage delay coverage.

$250,000 Travel Accident Insurance

Make your trip even more relaxing with Travel Accident Insurance when you purchase tickets with your eligible card.

I have removed the "learn more" links in the above, but they will be there on the Barclay's site and clicking on them will lead you to the PDFs with all the fine print. I've never looked too deeply into how the insurance works. Thankfully, I've never needed it (yet):).

Edited by ShakyBeef

This has been great information. Thanks.

Is Rewards Boost an additional card? Fee? Not familiar with this.

If you log on to your account on the website, on the right hand side toward the middle of the page, you will see something that says "reards boost" with a blue graphic. You MUST shop through those links in order to earn the extra points. I've pretty much quit shopping in my brick and mortar Sephora store, because I can get 5 points/dollar if I go through the link!

It adds up quickly, and is worth looking in to!

This has been great information. Thanks.

Is Rewards Boost an additional card? Fee? Not familiar with this.

No, it is not a separate card. No fee. It's a shopping portal to hundreds of retailers that all give extra FPs per dollar spent. It is a feature of your Carnival FB MC - you already have it.:)

Like Tropicaldrink said,

From your credit card homepage, you click on the icon that looks like this:

rewardsboosttab.jpg

Happy shopping! The points add up fast if you do just some of your regular shopping this way.;)

Thanks for this information. Every online store I normally use is on there.

You're very welcome!:) I love sharing info about RewardsBoost with others, ever since another CCer turned me onto it a few years ago.

Isn't it great how many stores are on there?!:D It's to the point that if I want something, I check RewardsBoost first.

Just be aware, the participating stores change from time to time - some new ones will show up and others will disappear. Also, the points the retailer offers might change. For example: a few years ago, both Lowe's and Home Depot offered 3 pp$, now Home Depot only offers 2 pp$, but Lowe's still offers 3. Happy shopping and happy FunPoints accruing!:)

Do you happen to know if Ebates and Reward Boost can be used at the same time?

I've never used Ebates and so I'm not familiar with it, just heard of it and have a general grasp of the concept.

My guess would be no, though, because on every store's portal through RewardsBoost, it says something to the effect of "Can not be used with offers not found on this site ("this site" being Barclay's RewardsBoost, not the store to which you're headed)". I would think Ebates falls into that category.

i definitely agree don't to the obc!!! it's best to have your final s&s charge as high as possible, charge it to your carnival card and get the double points for the amount, and then once you're home cash in those points as a statement credit towards your s&s charge. planning on doing that after our cruise in april and have done it that way in the past :)

rewards boost is great! when we moved into our new house we decided to sign up for directv... well on rewards boost they were offering 15,000 points for signing up with directv! score!! lol

Edited by swalton85

what kind of "bonus" do you receive for using the carnival mastercard for your s&s account? i've used ours twice and never got any type of perk?

and i definitely agree don't to the obc!!! it's best to have your final s&s charge as high as possible, charge it to your carnival card and get the double points for the amount, and then once you're home cash in those points as a statement credit towards your s&s charge. planning on doing that after our cruise in april and have done it that way in the past :)

There's no "bonus" for using the card for your S&S other than what you already noted - the double points per $. When first signing up for the card, you are given extra 5000 FunPoints after your first purchase. And your current S&S balance (assuming you are signing up for the card while on a cruise) will be transfered to the card, getting you the double points for that, but no other bonuses once you already have the card, like you and me.

I didn't get the backpack, or hat, or cooler, or whatever gift they were giving with the card for people signing up onboard because I signed up for mine in 2005, after my first cruise was done and paid for.:o

thanks... i misread the post and figured it out after lol :)

but i'm glad i clicked on here because i totally forgot about getting the 1.5% back instead of 1% on purchases over $1500. i was going to use my points for our s&s after the cruise, but i'm better off using the points to go towards the cruise itself since it was well over $1500! my 28,000 points i currently have equates to $400 towards the cruise instead of just redeeming say $280 or so towards our s&s account. hopefully i'll rack up some more points before we sail! lol :p

rewards boost is great! when we moved into our new house we decided to sign up for directv... well on rewards boost they were offering 15,000 points for signing up with directv! score!! lol

Yeah, it's great!!!:D

Always, always, always check RewardsBoost before making any large purchase (or even small ones, in my case;))!

I sent my in-laws some Shari's Berries at Christmas. Shari's Berries gives 10 pp$ - 600 points for me for $60 worth of berries.:D I'm buying a new refrigerator from Lowe's - 4500 points for $1500 fridge, delivered and set up for free. Bought a Christmas gift from Bass Pro Shops for DH - 500 FPs for $99 spent. And on and on...

And remember, these are EXTRA FPs - they are in addition to the 1 pp$ you're getting on all these purchases, anyway. So that $1500 fridge, for example, is getting me 6000 FunPoints!:D

OK, enough RewardsBoost fangirl raving from me. I'll try to shut up now.:o

Yeah, it's great!!!:D

Always, always, always check RewardsBoost before making any large purchase (or even small ones, in my case;))!

I sent my in-laws some Shari's Berries at Christmas. Shari's Berries gives 10 pp$ - 600 points for me for $60 worth of berries.:D I'm buying a new refrigerator from Lowe's - 4500 points for $1500 fridge, delivered and set up for free. Bought a Christmas gift from Bass Pro Shops for DH - 500 FPs for $99 spent. And on and on...

And remember, these are EXTRA FPs - they are in addition to the 1 pp$ you're getting on all these purchases, anyway. So that $1500 fridge, for example, is getting me 6000 FunPoints!:D

OK, enough RewardsBoost fangirl raving from me. I'll try to shut up now.:o

haha yes i always check there before purchasing anything online! we bought a new mattress from sears and got like 3,000 points. i ordered contacts from america's best and got like 250 points for a $50 purchase. We will be buying new appliances in the near future and i'm definitely going to be buying them online to get those extra points!

• 7 months later...

I'm trying to read through all these threads on using my points. Could someone walk me through how to figure out how much of a statement credit I'd get for about 70,000 points? I'm trying to figure out if it is best to use points for OBC and pre-paid tips (7 day) or just put it all on the card and use a statement credit (I can't figure out where on their website is the statement credit info). :confused: I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, so thank you in advance for putting up with another cc question. The end of summer may be affecting my brain power at this pont in time...

I'm trying to read through all these threads on using my points. Could someone walk me through how to figure out how much of a statement credit I'd get for about 70,000 points? I'm trying to figure out if it is best to use points for OBC and pre-paid tips (7 day) or just put it all on the card and use a statement credit (I can't figure out where on their website is the statement credit info). :confused: I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, so thank you in advance for putting up with another cc question. The end of summer may be affecting my brain power at this pont in time...

From your homepage when logged into your account, click on the "Rewards & Benefits Center", from the "Rewards & Benefits" drop-down menu. Then, click on "Start using my FunPoints" (on the big picture of the Serenity Deck at Dusk). From here, you can use the calculator for statement credits, or shop OBC or other rewards available in exchange for your redeemed FPs.

Here's the fine print under the calculator:

• Point redemption values vary depending on cruise line selected and dollar amount of the eligible transaction.
  • Best redemption value is for redemptions on Carnival Cruise Lines transactions of $1,500 or more.
  • Points may be applied to a purchase for up to 180 days after the initial transaction has posted to an account.
  • Points may only be applied to an individual transaction once.
  • The calculator is to be used as a guide for redemption planning, however redemption values are not guaranteed.

Take special note of the point I highlighted in red. This is the key to making the most of your FPs. If you want to get the most from your FunPoints follow these rules:

• Never redeem FPs for anything but statement credits on Carnival brand purchases. Don't waste FPs on OBC! - you're cheating yourself twice that way: once by using OBC instead of putting that same amount of onboard spending on your card for a 2 point multiplier, and again by cashing in your FunPoints at a crappier redemption rate than you would have gotten for a statement credit.
  • Always use FPs before their 5 year expiration date.
  • Always redeem FPs for statement credits on Carnival purchases of $1500 or more, to get the best redemption rate. A Carnival purchase of $1000 will "cost" 100,000 FPs for a statement credit, but a Carnival purchase of $1500 will also cost 100,000 FPs.;)
  • Always use your Carnival MC for your S&S account, and any other Carnival purchases.
  • Always pay the credit card balance off in full each month.
  • Use the RewardsBoost shopping portal from your credit card account page as much as possible to rack up big point multipliers.

If you cash in your 70,000 FPs now (instead of waiting for 100,000 to get the better rate), you will get a $700 statement credit.

I hope this helps.:)

And just to be clear, the statement credit is only for carnival purchases?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, you can get a statement credit for any "qualified purchase", which includes any Carnival purchase; as well as cruise fares (possibly any purchase? - I'm not sure on this one) on: Costa, Cunard, HAL, Princess, or Seabourn; and hotel and airfare. But the redemption rate for the other cruiselines is not as good as that for Carnival, and the redemption rate for hotel and airfare is horrible.

Here's the actual wording from the credit card website:

Statement Credit

Cardmembers may redeem Points for a statement credit toward

a Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland

America Line, Princess Cruises or The Yachts of Seabourn or

an airline or hotel that posts to their Account that is equal to or

greater than $50 and made within the last 180 days. The amount

of Points needed to redeem will vary by transaction. To redeem

points access your account at

www.BarclaycardUS.com and go

to Rewards. The statement credit will appear on the Account

within one billing cycle after the Points are redeemed. There is