Carnival Mastercard Reward Question

tbrenk1973

I just got a $200 reward from the Carnival MasterCard, but they just credited my card for the $200! Much better than an OBC in my opinion. I did that on line at the Barclay site. I don't know why you couldn't do the same thing?

"SKY"

Additional information. Give 'em a call on the Customer Service line. Number is on the back of your card. 866-255-1304. They should be able to help you out.

Edited by SkyMaster

I have enough points to cash in for $400. The website states it is in the form of OBC. I can't seem to get a straight answer from Carnival. Can OBS be used for tips?

It will go on your sign and sail account and can be used for anything you do with your sign and sail

I just got a $200 reward from the Carnival MasterCard, but they just credited my card for the $200! Much better than an OBC in my opinion. I did that on line at the Barclay site. I don't know why you couldn't do the same thing?

"SKY"

It is better to take it off you statement like this. That way you use your card on the cruise and get double points for your sign and sail bill.

Yes! The obc from barclay carnival mc points can be used for tips or anything else. I "cashed in" points for $100 obc last cruise. I did have to take the certificate to the guest service desk to have it "credited" to my sign & sail account.

Edited by slybear

I have used that card for almost three years and have cashed in a lot of points so I am very familiar with their system.

You accrue one point for each dollar spent with the card for regular purchases and two points for every dollar spent with Carnival (that could be the cruise fare, excursions or sail and sign account). Then, you can redeem the points for cash (actually statement credit) at any time. Just recently, I cashed in 60,000 points for $600 of statement credit (or exactly 1% cash back). Now, the trick is that you actually get the full 1% to pay for purchases with Carnival, otherwise you get about 0.75% if you choose to pay for any other purchase. So, in order to get the most out of your points, you need to save them up until you have made a purchase with Carnival, then you get the full 1% cash back. Also, since you get 2 points for every dollar spent with Carnival, it is wise to go ahead and just use your card to pay for your sail and sign account and then use the points to pay for that purchase after you return home.

I know it sounds kind of complicated, but it really isn't. I do not think you gain anything by getting some on board credit up front.

Good luck!

I just turned in my points and it shows $200 OBC in my travel docs.

Nice! I always pay my flood & condo ins with this card to get the points. And great that they just added it to your booking. It really wasn't much of a hassle to go to guest services to have it added. Enjoy your cruise & OBC!

OP, I know you've had your question answered (yes, it can be used for tips, once it becomes a credit on your onboard S&S account), but I just wanted to add my voice to those saying - don't do it! Do what others have suggested and "cash in" your points after your cruise (after paying your S&S with your Carnival Funpoints MC) for a statement credit. As others have said, you get more bang for your FunPoint this way, having gotten your double points for your S&S balance before redeeming.:) This is the way I always redeem my points and the only way I ever will.;)

I have used that card for almost three years and have cashed in a lot of points so I am very familiar with their system.

You accrue one point for each dollar spent with the card for regular purchases and two points for every dollar spent with Carnival (that could be the cruise fare, excursions or sail and sign account). Then, you can redeem the points for cash (actually statement credit) at any time. Just recently, I cashed in 60,000 points for $600 of statement credit (or exactly 1% cash back). Now, the trick is that you actually get the full 1% to pay for purchases with Carnival, otherwise you get about 0.75% if you choose to pay for any other purchase. So, in order to get the most out of your points, you need to save them up until you have made a purchase with Carnival, then you get the full 1% cash back. Also, since you get 2 points for every dollar spent with Carnival, it is wise to go ahead and just use your card to pay for your sail and sign account and then use the points to pay for that purchase after you return home.

I know it sounds kind of complicated, but it really isn't. I do not think you gain anything by getting some on board credit up front.

Good luck!

All good info, except RewardsBoost is also worth mentioning - MUCH higher multipliers than 2x by shopping through their portal on your Barclays account page! It is amazing how fast the points rack up! We'll be going on our 4th free Carnival cruise since 2005, this September, thanks in large part to RewardsBoost! Happy shopping and Happy cruising, everybody!:D

Nice! I always pay my flood & condo ins with this card to get the points. And great that they just added it to your booking. It really wasn't much of a hassle to go to guest services to have it added. Enjoy your cruise & OBC!

Nice to be able to get the points for regular bills, isn't it? We put everything we can on it - propane (heat), cell phone, life insurance, auto insurance, annual dues for our vacation property, etc. Now if only we could put our mortgage on it.:rolleyes::p

I put groceries on this card and then immediately go home and transfer money from my checking directly to the Mastercard to avoid paying interest. The points rack up fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just curious, why do you transfer immediately? Why don't you just pay the balance in full each month (one payment, when statement comes, before due date)? That's what I always do and have never paid a penny in interest in the 9 years that I've had the card.

We use ours for everything. I have tv, cells, home phone, electric & insurance all set up to auto charge monthly. We use it for gas, groceries, auto repairs, medical, anything we can... Pay in full every month.

In just 2 years we racked up 100,000 points, turned those into a $1500.00 statement credit shortly after booking 2 cabins while on a cruise.

The more points you accumulate, the higher the return.

Good luck!

You get a better rate of return if you redeem on a $1500 of higher single charge with Carnival also.

Yes! The obc from barclay carnival mc points can be used for tips or anything else. I "cashed in" points for $100 obc last cruise. I did have to take the certificate to the guest service desk to have it "credited" to my sign & sail account.

Do you know how many points it takes for OBC:confused:

Do you know how many points it takes for OBC:confused:

Increments:

7,200= $50 OBC

12,500=$100 OBC

20,000=$200 OBC

Will take me forever to accumulate enough!

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kyle3245
Correction To Amounts

I never checked, do they have any special deals if you sign up for the Carnival CC while cruising?

If you get approved your "Sail and Sign" account can be put on your new Carnival Mastercard. You'll earn double points on that transaction, because your using your toward a Carnival purchase. An additional bonus is also included, as well as free gifts. This is what I experienced when I was on in January 2013.

I never checked, do they have any special deals if you sign up for the Carnival CC while cruising?

Once upon a time (circa 2011, I think), they offered $50 OBC for your current cruise and gave you a gift of some sort (at one point it was a Carnival tote bag) for applying (and qualifying) for the Carnival MC while onboard. I don't know if they still do this. It was handled by the Future Cruise rep, at a kiosk onboard.

Hopefully someone else has more current info on this. I received my application in the mail after my first cruise in 2005, so I never got any of the incentives for applying while onboard.:o

If you get approved your "Sail and Sign" account can be put on your new Carnival Mastercard. You'll earn double points on that transaction, because your using your toward a Carnival purchase. An additional bonus is also included, as well as free gifts. This is what I experienced when I was on in January 2013.

Aha, more current info was being offered while I was typing my reply!:) I forgot about that detail of your current S&S balance being put on the card, as well. Thanks!

This is correct. My DH and I both opened accounts on our Sept. 2013 cruise. We each received 5000 bonus points ($50.00) after using the card the first time when we got back. I've been using mine for everything, then make sure to pay it off each month- no sense in paying interest, that would defeat the purpose. lol

I was told we could combine our points to use on our next cruise.

We use our card to pay our bills. Then we send Barclay one lump sum at the end of the month and pay no interest. When we cruise, we cash in some points for OBC. We apply online and it shows up on our S&S account. This last time, we found it on our documents before sailing. On our last cruise, we used Barclay OBC and walked off the ship with a S&S balance of $37, which was charged on our card and gave us double points for next time.

Good luck!

agreed