Carnival Mastercard Reward Question

tbrenk1973

I asked this exact question to the barclay company through an email, and got this response back today, "Certificates cannot be applied to shipboard credit, excursions or gratuities. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas and Panama."

Does anyone know why the company would say that? Seems like everyone's response is the same (you can use it for tips etc.)

Just curious, why do you transfer immediately? Why don't you just pay the balance in full each month (one payment, when statement comes, before due date)? That's what I always do and have never paid a penny in interest in the 9 years that I've had the card.

I do it that way so I won't spend the money before I pay it off. It works for me to do it this way.

I asked this exact question to the barclay company through an email, and got this response back today, "Certificates cannot be applied to shipboard credit, excursions or gratuities. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas and Panama."

Does anyone know why the company would say that? Seems like everyone's response is the same (you can use it for tips etc.)

What certificates? The OBC that I think we're talking about here is the OBC that you can get by redeeming your FunPoints online, from your Barclays account page. I don't know about any certificates. This must be something different.:confused:

Nice to be able to get the points for regular bills, isn't it? We put everything we can on it - propane (heat), cell phone, life insurance, auto insurance, annual dues for our vacation property, etc. Now if only we could put our mortgage on it.:rolleyes::p

Propane heating bill will get you lots of points. (I work for a propane company I have seen some bills...aye aye aye!)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What is the min for a 100 dollar credit back?

When we get taxes back next month, I am paying of my carnival card, paying off our cruise with my card to get points.. Pay that off to make room to buy excursions and sail and sign account. And they just raised my limit after having 6 months goo paying history. (Rebuilding credit)... But I am gunna get those double points Dangit!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To get max points, put EVERYTHING on your card. I have every bill company that will take a credit card going to it. Groceries, eating out, everything. I used it for a downpayment on a car and to pay a large hospital bill. Do any online shopping by linking through the Barclay site for extra points.

Keep a check register on it if you need to so you don't go over budget and pay in full each month to avoid interest.

Don't use the credits for OBC - let your S&S charge hit the card for double points on that. Then redeem when you get home for statement credit against it and you'll get a higher rate of return and collect the points for everything you spent onboard. If you have any charges over $1500 from Carnival, put your statement credit towards that and the rate of return goes up a large amount (for example, 25000 points will get you closer to $400 in credit that way.)

They get people to take the lower $ amount for the points in OBC because it's a psychological thing where people don't want to see that S&S bill at the end of the cruise.

You can REALLY cut down the price of your cruise if you manage the card right. I took $800 off a cruise last fall - basically half price for a balcony room.

Propane heating bill will get you lots of points. (I work for a propane company I have seen some bills...aye aye aye!)

You ain't kiddin', brother! You should have seen my last month's bill.:eek: It's at least a small consolation to know I'm getting FunPoints for that reaming.:rolleyes:

To get max points, put EVERYTHING on your card. I have every bill company that will take a credit card going to it. Groceries, eating out, everything. I used it for a downpayment on a car and to pay a large hospital bill. Do any online shopping by linking through the Barclay site for extra points.

Keep a check register on it if you need to so you don't go over budget and pay in full each month to avoid interest.

Don't use the credits for OBC - let your S&S charge hit the card for double points on that. Then redeem when you get home for statement credit against it and you'll get a higher rate of return and collect the points for everything you spent onboard. If you have any charges over $1500 from Carnival, put your statement credit towards that and the rate of return goes up a large amount (for example, 25000 points will get you closer to $400 in credit that way.)

They get people to take the lower $ amount for the points in OBC because it's a psychological thing where people don't want to see that S&S bill at the end of the cruise.

You can REALLY cut down the price of your cruise if you manage the card right. I took $800 off a cruise last fall - basically half price for a balcony room.

This.:cool: Do what Vacruizer says here and you'll be taking free cruises before you thought possible.

And check RewardsBoost before you make any purchase! For instance, say you were going to run over to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a new (grill, fixture, power tool, etc.). Don't. Go to the RewardsBoost page from your credit card account online. Both Lowes and Home Depot are RrewardsBoost retailers. Make your purchase online (I believe both stores offer free shipping for purchases over $50), and sit back and watch your points rack up.

Both Lowes and Home Depot offer 3 bonus points per dollar spent. That's 3 points per dollar in addition to your regular 1 point per dollar that you get anyway. That equates to 4 points per dollar - double what you get for Carnival purchases! And 3 points per dollar is one of the low examples of RewardsBoost multipliers. Some retailers offer much higher rates.

Especially if you have a big purchase to make, always check RewardsBoost before you buy elsewhere!;)

And check RewardsBoost before you make any purchase! For instance, say you were going to run over to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a new (grill, fixture, power tool, etc.). Don't. Go to the RewardsBoost page from your credit card account online. Both Lowes and Home Depot are RrewardsBoost retailers. Make your purchase online (I believe both stores offer free shipping for purchases over $50), and sit back and watch your points rack up.

Both Lowes and Home Depot offer 3 bonus points per dollar spent. That's 3 points per dollar in addition to your regular 1 point per dollar that you get anyway. That equates to 4 points per dollar - double what you get for Carnival purchases! And 3 points per dollar is one of the low examples of RewardsBoost multipliers. Some retailers offer much higher rates.

Especially if you have a big purchase to make, always check RewardsBoost before you buy elsewhere!;)

Thanks for this info! DH takes care of the bill paying, and he never realized there were so many stores. He just looked at the featured ones and said we never shop there. I just ordered from Avon last week and could have received 5/$ ! I know better now. Thank you!

Thanks for this info! DH takes care of the bill paying, and he never realized there were so many stores. He just looked at the featured ones and said we never shop there. I just ordered from Avon last week and could have received 5/$ ! I know better now. Thank you!

You're welcome!:) I'm just trying to pay it forward. A few years ago, a fellow CCer brought RewardsBoost to my attention and it has been so good for me, I just want to keep spreading the word about it.:D

It's not just online shopping, either. RewardsBoost has brick-and-mortar store deals, too. Just none for my local area.:(:o

Nice to be able to get the points for regular bills, isn't it? We put everything we can on it - propane (heat), cell phone, life insurance, auto insurance, annual dues for our vacation property, etc. Now if only we could put our mortgage on it.:rolleyes::p

How do you pay all of your other bills using the card? I saw somewhere you could do this but didn't find it on their web site and it would be great if they let you pay your mortgage on it since it gets paid each month anyway.

How do you pay all of your other bills using the card? I saw somewhere you could do this but didn't find it on their web site and it would be great if they let you pay your mortgage on it since it gets paid each month anyway.

You usually can't pay a mortgage with a credit card. Wish I could! So far, not that many of mine take the card, but my cable/phone/internet company does, my monthly gym membership, car insurance. Our gas company charges a fee so not doing the card with them yet. But more and more are starting to accept cards.

Pretty much what Vacruizer said. My mortgage company doesn't accept credit cards, but I have heard some do. My insurance company does (life and auto), my propane company does, my cell phone co. does, my electric company does for a small fee ($1.45, which is barely over the cost of a stamp and a check, so I go ahead and pay the fee in order to use the credit card and get the points). Verizon, my home phone and DSL provider, charges a $3.50 "convenience fee", so I still pay that one by check.

All of these bills I either pay online on the provider's website (such as my insurance company), or over the phone (such as my cell and electric company). Check your paper statements and the websites of your different utilities - you might be surprised to find that several of them accept credit card payments for no extra fee. Call the company and go through the automated menu - there may be an option "to pay your bill", follow the prompts with your credit card in hand. If they accept a credit card but charge a fee, they will inform you of this before you make the payment. Good luck, and happy FunPoint collecting!:)

I have a question I hope someone can help with. We have just surpassed 100,000 in points so will be able to get the $1500 toward cruise. My dilemma is this.

The cruise I am looking at booking is going to be a total cost of about $1577. So what happens when I actually book my cruise? I will have to pay a deposit right? Or do I have the option to pay in full upon booking?

If I understand correctly I would need one single charge over $1500 in order to redeem at excellerated rate. I'm afraid by paying a deposit would then leave me with less than $1500.

Any help is appreciated. I assume that if I can just pay the cruise in full I can pay it with my MasterCard then redeem the points when it hits my card.

I have a question I hope someone can help with. We have just surpassed 100,000 in points so will be able to get the $1500 toward cruise. My dilemma is this.

The cruise I am looking at booking is going to be a total cost of about $1577. So what happens when I actually book my cruise? I will have to pay a deposit right? Or do I have the option to pay in full upon booking?

If I understand correctly I would need one single charge over $1500 in order to redeem at excellerated rate. I'm afraid by paying a deposit would then leave me with less than $1500.

Any help is appreciated. I assume that if I can just pay the cruise in full I can pay it with my MasterCard then redeem the points when it hits my card.

Hmmm, I see your problem with the total less the deposit being "not enough" to hit the better rate. Unfortunately, I can't help with that part. Hopefully someone else here will have had some experience with this and can advise you.:o

I can only suggest you do what I always do, and what you mentioned in your last line - pay for the cruise (deposit, final payment, booked excursions, S&S balance) with your Carnival MC. Then, when you return home, redeem your points for a statement credit. This gives you a free cruise after the fact. Sure, you had to pay for it up front, but when you "pay yourself back" with the statement credit, the cruise ends up having cost you nothing. And you got double points on all of it.:)

You can opt to pay in full vs. placing the deposit. It needs to be one, single, line item charge on your bill over $1500 in order to redeem for the higher return on the points. It can't be several smaller charges. Once it hits your card, you have six months to redeem the points towards it as statement credit.

You can opt to pay in full vs. placing the deposit. It needs to be one, single, line item charge on your bill over $1500 in order to redeem for the higher return on the points. It can't be several smaller charges. Once it hits your card, you have six months to redeem the points towards it as statement credit.

Thanks vacruizer. I think I will just book and pay the entire cruise at that time on the credit card. Then apply for the credit. I appreciate the help.

Pretty much what Vacruizer said.

All of these bills I either pay online on the provider's website (such as my insurance company), or over the phone (such as my cell and electric company). Check your paper statements and the websites of your different utilities - you might be surprised to find that several of them accept credit card payments for no extra fee. Call the company and go through the automated menu - there may be an option "to pay your bill", follow the prompts with your credit card in hand. If they accept a credit card but charge a fee, they will inform you of this before you make the payment. Good luck, and happy FunPoint collecting!:)

Thanks everyone! I'm going to look at companies web sites today. I thought it was on the credit card web site to add them from there like my banks Bill Pay. That's where I got really confused.

If you pay more than $1500 at one time, do you get the 1.5 per/100 credit?

I have 50,000 points, would I get $750 credit?

50k would get $500 credit. You have to have 100k in order to redeem at the accelerated rate.

50k would get $500 credit. You have to have 100k in order to redeem at the accelerated rate.

Not always, you can redeem for the higher rate on charges of over $1500. I was able to get $800 for just over 50,000 in points. Looking now, I can get $400 for around 26,000 points.

Not always, you can redeem for the higher rate on charges of over $1500. I was able to get $800 for just over 50,000 in points. Looking now, I can get $400 for around 26,000 points.

Oh ok. My bad I didn't realize that!! Thanks

• 2 months later...

Batty L - - Just wondering if you were able to combine points from both cards to use on your next cruise? A couple of years ago after getting our cards I was told that couldn't be done.

Edited by go titans

• 4 months later...
I have used that card for almost three years and have cashed in a lot of points so I am very familiar with their system.

You accrue one point for each dollar spent with the card for regular purchases and two points for every dollar spent with Carnival (that could be the cruise fare, excursions or sail and sign account). Then, you can redeem the points for cash (actually statement credit) at any time. Just recently, I cashed in 60,000 points for $600 of statement credit (or exactly 1% cash back). Now, the trick is that you actually get the full 1% to pay for purchases with Carnival, otherwise you get about 0.75% if you choose to pay for any other purchase. So, in order to get the most out of your points, you need to save them up until you have made a purchase with Carnival, then you get the full 1% cash back. Also, since you get 2 points for every dollar spent with Carnival, it is wise to go ahead and just use your card to pay for your sail and sign account and then use the points to pay for that purchase after you return home.

I know it sounds kind of complicated, but it really isn't. I do not think you gain anything by getting some on board credit up front.

Good luck!

I just did this. I recently paid the final payment for my cruise in October. I had 20,000 points on my CCL Mastercard. I could have gotten $200 OBC, but opted for statement credit. My statement credit was $300 for the same 20,000 points! Much better deal, plus, as stated above, when I cruise and use my CCL Mastercard for my S&S account, I will be getting 2x points! :D