Port or Starboard Help please !

cisco 09

This is probably a silly question but is there any way of knowing whether ship will dock on the port or starboard sides. Is it solely dependent on each destination or are there any rules. I only ask because my Mum has limited mobility and may spend some time on the balcony and it would be nice to have something to look at other than sea ! Would appreciate any info. Thanks

This is probably a silly question but is there any way of knowing whether ship will dock on the port or starboard sides. Is it solely dependent on each destination or are there any rules. I only ask because my Mum has limited mobility and may spend some time on the balcony and it would be nice to have something to look at other than sea ! Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Hi Cisco

In my experience the ship tends to dock on the starboard side. I don't know how this is decided but I have done many cruises and the vast majority have docked on the starboard side.

It is an interesting question, particularly as they call the other side "port" you would be forgiven for thinking that side would be used to get on and off at each port.

Hopefully someone will come along with a good answer for this.

If your balcony does end up on the wrong side, your Mother could sit in the Observatory lounge and get a great view.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would also add that there is no guarantee that the side against the dock is the best view either.

The other side can offer more unrestricted views and is rarely just pointing out to sea as in most cases with ships the size of Fred's they tend to be docked pointing in or out at an angle to the land, not simply parallel to the land.