Just a Thought

coupleoffish

While there might be a tiny, tiny fraction of the population that can be killed by second hand perfume, I do not believe it can begin to stand up to the numbers of people killed by exposure to second hand smoke.

With regard to what is healthy and what is not, again there is no comparison with overeating and smoking. Tobacco is, I believe, the only legal product that, when used according to directions, can kill the user AND those nearby. If someone makes unhealthy food choices every day, it can lead to disease and death -- but not for those nearby. No comparison.

As for asking smokers on a balcony to not smoke while you use your balcony, good luck. Some smokers would politely stop, while many others would be very upset at others "telling them when they can smoke and when they cannot".

To the poster who said anti-smoking campaigns would not get funding if people stopped buying cigarettes ........ WHAT? You are saying that people need to keep smoking so that we can afford to teach people that it is a terrible idea to smoke?

I am writing this on the 43rd anniversary of my mother's death -- from heart disease, at age 49. Yes, she was a smoker. And, as for not knowing how bad it was for you until recently, I remember her saying, "Pass me another coffin nail" or "What's the point of stopping now (as she was dying), so pass me another cancer stick". It was known to be deadly over four decades ago.

My husband's mother died of lung cancer while I was pregnant with our first child. My child never knew what a grandmother was all about -- having lost two of them due to tobacco. (My husband's mother never smoked but lived with THREE smokers.)

Getting back to this thread -- how do you discuss smoking and quitting with those who willingly take up a deadly habit? I'm sorry if I offend you, but I would hope that you are more offended by R.J. Reynolds, et. al. for getting you addicted to a killer of a product.

This is only a thought that came to mind after reading all the post about the new smoking policy so please don't respond to it with any repeat negatives at smokers. My DH and i are smokers and yes we know it's bad for us and we are in process of trying to quit....

I just wanted to send you and your husband a little encouragement as you try to stop smoking. GOOD LUCK