Great Barrier Reef from Cairns

gypsy lady

We are sailing into Cairns via RCCL in November and are looking for recommendations for a tour company to do the Great Barrier Reef. Since we are not great swimmers/snorkelers...we would like one that offers the platform as well as the glass bottom boat availability.

Can anyone help?

Gypsy Lady

I believe that the only boat that sails from Cairns to a fixed platform is the Reef Magic. In addition to glass bottom boat rides, it offers semi-submersibles and an underwater platform. So you have many choices to see the Reef without getting wet, if you so desire. The reviews of Reef Magic on Trip Advisor are very good.

Quicksilver also offers a boat that goes to a fixed platform (with the same ameneties for non-swimmers) but it leaves from Port Douglas.

For a longer experience on the Great Barrier Reef, I recommend Coral Princess out of Cairns (http://www.coralprincesscruises.com.au) We did 4 nights and had a comfortable cabin and great food . A marine biologist, dive master/photography teacher and lifeguards/crew made our GBR experience one of our best of a lifetime. Glass Bottom boat and zodiacs I believe.

We found this to be a wonderful experience because we were the only Americans and got to meet some truly awesome Aussies and enjoy Aussie humor -- not something you get on a tourist tour!!:eek::p We loved it so much that we vowed to get back and now after 10 years and many cruises we are going with CoralPrincess Cruises on a 9 day New Zealand cruise NEXT WEEK!!

Two other companies you may want to look at:

Quicksilver Cruises catamaran "wavedancer" is going to a small nice, island with a gorgeous beach from where you can safely snorkel and splash around.

VERY nice, small numbers and not so packed as some of the larger vessels than can take several HUNDRED people.

Some friends commented very positively about "Passions of Paradise". I have not tried them myself, but these particular friends are very, very fussy.

Bear in mind that nearly all these cruises get back to Cairns quite late in the afternoon, so check the timings.

If money is no object, Quicksilver also has an option whereby you get to the pontoon at Agnicourt Reef one (or both) way by helicopter. The fly-cruise option is just under 500 AUD per person.

Snorkeling and diving with any of these companies is very safe. You can use floating vests and/or these sausage things.

There are oodles of life guards on duty and everyone working for the companies has good First Aid training.

A word of advise: DON'T MENTION THE LONERGANS!

:p

I'm not having any luck.....even though we overnight in Cairns....anyone have any other ideas?

I have emailed all the big tour companies.

Gypsy Lady

If your ship calls into Airlie Beach you can do a reef trip there but this would have to be through the ships excursions

Another option at cairns would be an Air Trip over the reef which would easily fit into your time schedule or you could visit Green Island from Cairns where you can snorkel on reefs all though not as good as the outer reef they also have glass bottom boats.

Hope you manage to experience the reef one way or another

If you don't arrive until 10am, you are not going to be able to visit the Outer Reef. All of the Outer Reef boats depart from 8am - 9am because it takes around 90 minutes just to get to the Outer Reef.

As Chester32 says, one option would be a half-day trip to Green Island. It does not have the quality and variety of coral and sealife that the Outer Reef does, but you should still have something to see.

One company that offers a half-day tour to Green Island is Big Cat. I have never done a tour with them, so I don't have any personal information about them. I suggest you read the info on their website and the reviews on Trip Advisor to decide if this is a trip you would like to make.

http://www.greenisland.com.au/ourcruises/half-day-green-island/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255069-d1855074-Reviews-Big_Cat_Green_Island_Reef_Cruises_Day_Tour-Cairns_Cairns_Region_Queensland.html

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I gave contacted "All " the tour companies that do the GBR tour out of Cairns, same story due to arrival time. Have contacted cruise line to see if they will add another tour to their existing ones. We will see.

Gypsy Lady

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone again, getting close now...!

Just a quick question, as I haven't been on a cruise with a 'stop-over' before.

When we're in Cairns for the night, do we have to be back on the ship for a certain time, or do we even have to get back on at all? Just that I'm trying to make the most of the first day in Cairns without having the worry of rushing back to the ship.

Thanks, Dale :)

Hi everyone again, getting close now...!

Just a quick question, as I haven't been on a cruise with a 'stop-over' before.

When we're in Cairns for the night, do we have to be back on the ship for a certain time, or do we even have to get back on at all? Just that I'm trying to make the most of the first day in Cairns without having the worry of rushing back to the ship.

Thanks, Dale :)

You can do what ever you want, as in you don't have to be back on board for the overnight stay as long as you are back in time on departure day, enjoy Cairns

• 1 month later...

RE: SCUBA diving the GBR, our cruise stops at Yorkey’s Knob on Saturday 11/28/15 from 9am-6pm. I am thinking that that is not enough time to scuba, so would be looking for a private shore trip for that day. Would that be enough time to do the Kuranda Scenic Railway? We would also plan to fly to and from Cairns pre or post cruise for our Scuba diving, and need to decide 1) weather wise, would it be better to visit Cairns in late October or early December? 2) how many days? At least one for a boat trip out to the reef for diving? one for the Kuranda Railway if we don’t have time to do it as a shore trip?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help.

Edited by Arkansas cruisers