1 night in Rome - hotel recommendations please

liberty64

Hi,

we are in Rome for only one night, arriving approx. 1pm and departing approx. 11 am the next day. We would like any recommendations for a stay near the centre of Rome, don't want to have to spend a lot of time travelling in and out of the centre, plus would like to stay where there is a choice of eateries (although not too important).

Plus budget is about middle of the road, not too cheap but not too expensive either.

Thanks

Looking at your upcoming cruise in your signature, it appears you'll be in Rome in late September which, unfortunately, is still high season these days. Prices for hotels in the center won't be a bargain.

Here are a few options to consider (cost varies, but I've put them in what is usually the lower to higher priced options):

Hotel Smeraldo -- near Campo di Fiori

Hotel Santa Chiara -- just behind the Pantheon

Albergo Cesari -- between the Pantheon and Trevi

Albergo del Senato -- most expensive one but a lovely hotel just across from the Pantheon, with views

These are mentioned frequently here as favorites and all are in great areas for dinner and an evening stroll. Booking directly through the hotel usually yields the best price, but you'd be wise to compare with some booking sites to be sure.

We are staying at the Best Sistine B&B, they are surprisingly modern and affordable. They have a few different B&B's throughout Rome, under different names (Pantheon, Vatican, Liz) if you google Best Sistine though they all come up on the same site.

My SIL stayed there in 2007 and still talks about it.

Hotel Smeraldo is OK but rooms are on the small side and pretty dark .

A better choice family run just across the street is the Hotel Pomezia. Still in same excellent location . Good eateries nearby in Campo de Fiori. Within walking distance Church St Andrea de Valle (Act 1 Tosca), Piazza Farnesse,

Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Castel St Angelo (Tosca Act 3), and St Peters. Book on line via hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

We stayed at Hotel Manfredi 1 block from the Spanish Steps. Terrific location for walking for walking everywhere!! Great outdoor eateries in every direction too... oh how I miss it!! :(

We stayed here and would again if we ever get back to Rome.

Hotel Smeraldo is OK but rooms are on the small side and pretty dark .

A better choice family run just across the street is the Hotel Pomezia. Still in same excellent location . Good eateries nearby in Campo de Fiori. Within walking distance Church St Andrea de Valle (Act 1 Tosca), Piazza Farnesse,

Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Castel St Angelo (Tosca Act 3), and St Peters. Book on line via hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

Thanks for listing this one. Always good to hear of another good value option in the Campo di Fiori area.

We stayed at Hotel Grifo and enjoyed our stay there. It is a few blocks from the Colosseum. There are several nice restaurants right up the street.

We stopped at a nice restaurant near the hotel Grifo. The Vikes will need several good first round draft picks. I think Jared Allen will leave and play for the Packers.

Do you plan to take the train to port? If so you may want to consider staying near Termini as we are. Still convenient to sites by metro but easy to train in and out of Roma. We are seeing great reviews for Piemonte Hotel and Domus Praetoria running approx.150 USD per night.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

I have the reverse philosophy. Stay in the center of things, where you can get to all the major sites in a 5-10 minute fun walk. Then just take a cab/metro to Termini when it's time to catch the train.

I've stayed near Termini and the area has no where near the charm or interest of the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area, and the restaurants weren't nearly as good either!

Whilst there are plenty of hotels near Termini the area can be a bit scruffy and down market.

Termini is a bit far from the main sights. Better to stay near Campo Fiori or Spanish steps where you are in the centre of all the action, and within walking distance of the main sights .

Same here liberty - will only be in Rome for an overnight and we have stayed in the heart of rome a few years ago. We will train it to the hotel - unpack grab a quick dinner via metro and then back to hotel to sleep. Its more about train travel to the port for us.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app