Netherlands Train Question

We will be taking the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam after we arrive at Schiphol. I plan to buy our tickets when we get in at the airport but I have a question that I couldn't find answered on the train website.

What is the difference between first and second class tickets other than the price :)? Is it just that the seats are more comfortable? Does it even make sense for first class on a short trip like this one?

Probably a silly question but I am curious.

Thanks -

cindy

Your assumption is correct. It's essentially the seats. First class will be less crowded, which might be a bit of a help for your luggage, since you can't check your luggage on most European trains. But it is such a short distance I assume there isn't that much of a difference in fare between 1st and 2nd class. This is a very easy trip. A number of years ago my wife and I picked up the train at Schipol and took it directly to Antwerp. Very easy since the station is right inside the airport underground.

Phil

Yes, more comfortable, more space and less crowded.

1st class is also clearly marked on the outside of the train.

Even in 1 st class keep an eye on your luggage all the time, donot leave it unattended.

A (more expensive) alternative can be the Schipholshuttlebus service, door to door, you can check that on http://www.schipholtaxi-bus.nl/

Thanks for the good information. Sounds like 1st class probably does make sense with all of the cruise luggage we have (only 2 but they're big). I also checked out the shuttlebus website and it is about twice the price but might be a nice idea after a long flight especially with the door to door service. I appreciate the suggestion. Now all we need to do is decide.

Thanks again -

cindy

Archived