Best med for sea sickness?

winston71

Hi all! I tend to get bad car and motion sickness. I have cruised 7 times and always end up feeling slightly nauseas. My sea legs never kick in! Can you recommend a good med I can take that won't leave me tired all day. I have tried a lot of over the counter meds without great results.

Thank you.:o

YOu really need to try different meds because there is no BEST med. Different people react differently to different meds.

One thing to remember, it's more difficult to stop sea sickness than to prevent it. So whatever you use, start it the night before you sail.

I find ginger, not a glass of ginger ale once in a while, but ginger pills taken every day works wonders. I've also had good luck with Bonine although I can only take it at night as it makes me drowsy.

My husband uses the Scopalomine patch and NEVER gets the least bit queasy but I can't use it because the dry mouth I get is so bad that I literally can't sleep because I can't swallow.

The patch tends to be pretty darned foolproof in terms preventing sea sickness, so it's really only the fact that (a) it's a prescription medication so you have talk to your doctor; and (b) it has side effects for some people.

So it becomes a philosophical one - do you start with benign easy to get things like ginger or bonine, or do you bring out the big guns and get the patch?

You should talk to your doctor, and make a list ahead of time of what medications you have tried and how well they did or didn't work, and show the list to your doctor. There are a lot of choices out there.

A lot of people, including me, use the patch with no problem; others have bad side effects. But if it's not working well you can always peel it off.

Use ginger tablets. You can get them at any health food store, or walmart etc. We live near an Air Force base, and I'm told that the majority of pilots use them. No side effects, ie drowesy etc. My wife uses nothing else, and has never had a problem.

I have tried Sea Bands, Bonine, Scope patches, dramamine, ginger etc. etc.

I swear by 2 a day Bonine. I start taking them the day before I sail and take 2 a day until the cruise is over.

**Disclaimer - even this method did nothing for my motion sickness in 27 foot seas in the South China Sea. :eek: