whistle stop tour of venice embarkation day - possible?

mfinnis

Like the title says basically!!

we are scheduled to arrive into venice airport at 1015 and sail at 5pm -

with picking up bags/customs/transfer/checking in at port/getting rid of bags

do we then have time to get to st marks square for a wander and back in time for muster/sailing???

thoughts anyone?

thanks in advance

Like the title says basically!!

we are scheduled to arrive into venice airport at 1015 and sail at 5pm -

with picking up bags/customs/transfer/checking in at port/getting rid of bags

do we then have time to get to st marks square for a wander and back in time for muster/sailing???

thoughts anyone?

thanks in advance

Totally possible, if a bit of a physical stretch after a long flight, but if you are not going to see Venice any other way I'd give it a go. Let's say you have checked in with the ship and have taken the People Mover back to Piazzale Roma by 1 pm. Jump on Vaporetto no 1 or 2 to St Mark's Square - if you get a choice I'd take No 1 as it's more leisurely but still only 40 minutes and you can just relax and soak up the sights of the Grand Canal

That will get you to St Mark's Square at about 1.45, so plenty of time to walk back to Piazzale Roma and catch the People Mover back to the ship. Good luck - hope the plane arrives on time and your bags come quickly !

Many thanks for the info - only a short flight from the UK so should be ready to stretch our legs and explore - will be disappointed if the flights delayed and we miss our chance but that is out of my hands!!

would you also happen to know if the cruise ships have completely changed their routing in and out of port yet - I know there was some talk of them stopping coming in the pretty way (sorry can't remember the name of the route....)

Not as confident about time-scale as the pasty-muncher. Your back-on-board time will be 4pm or earlier due to lifeboat drill, which they'll hold before sailaway cos everyone will want to watch the sail through the channel past St Marks & Grand Canal.

It's not possible for ships to take a different route because that will need months of dredging etc.

In the meantime they're limiting the number & size of ships using the regular cruise terminals.

But if you departure port hasn't been changed, your sailaway route will be past St Marks/Grand Canal.

JB :)

You have plenty of time for a quick trip to St Marks via the GrandCanal.

I'd suggest taking the ATVO airport express bus. 6 or 7 E for a 20 minute ride to Piazzale Roma. It leaves at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour.

When you arrive at Piazzale Roma you could either check your bags at the Left Luggage facility for 5E per bag. Or, jump on the People Mover for a 2 minute ride to the pier, 1E, where you can check your luggage onto the ship. Even tho Left Luggage will cost more it will be much quicker than doing the full checkin onto the ship.

From Piazzale Roma, walk a block to the Grand Canal where you can jump on a vaporetto and cruise down the Grand Canal. Hop off at St Marks, wonder around for a bit then head back when you're ready.

All the info you need is in this link,

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

You have plenty of time for a quick trip to St Marks via the GrandCanal.

I'd suggest taking the ATVO airport express bus. 6 or 7 E for a 20 minute ride to Piazzale Roma. It leaves at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour.

When you arrive at Piazzale Roma you could either check your bags at the Left Luggage facility for 5E per bag. Or, jump on the People Mover for a 2 minute ride to the pier, 1E, where you can check your luggage onto the ship. Even tho Left Luggage will cost more it will be much quicker than doing the full checkin onto the ship.

From Piazzale Roma, walk a block to the Grand Canal where you can jump on a vaporetto and cruise down the Grand Canal. Hop off at St Marks, wonder around for a bit then head back when you're ready.

All the info you need is in this link,

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

............. but be aware that latest registration time at the ship (hand over your bags, sign in & collect your sea-pass) will be earlier than al-aboard time.

So use that latest registration time, which will be on your documentation, if you don't go straight to the ship.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks everyone....I think depending on what time we land we will go straight to the ship and check in then at least that's done...we'll have pretty small carry on bags so once checked in we won't bother getting onboard we'll just head back out....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The info on Venice was really useful and vast! Many thanks.....just wondering after reading much of it whether it would be quicker for us to walk to piazza San Marco rather than using the water bus?

The info on Venice was really useful and vast! Many thanks.....just wondering after reading much of it whether it would be quicker for us to walk to piazza San Marco rather than using the water bus?

You may be able to walk to St. Marks Square in the same time the water bus will take, it's well sign posted, but only if you get your head down and walk at pace. Trust me, that's impossible in Venice! Everywhere you look there's something you haven't seen before, or a shop with wonderful trinkets to browse and buy, or a restaurant tempting you to eat and drink, or, or, or.

They say part of the charm of Venice is getting lost in the back streets, and I didn't really believe that or understand until I did it.

Venice is unique, by definition a one off! The waterbus is also an experience in itself. Walk or take the water bus, both we delight you.

Myself and DW have 1 day post cruise. In April and we can't decide what to do, the choices and experiences are too special.